Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Whatever happened to airing cupboards?
We had one when we moved in - half the closet was the hot water tank and there was a set of shelves above it. Shelves are still there, but a mini hot water tank for 3 adults and an infant wasn't going to fly. So combi-boiler in the kitchen and the washing machine is now in that space. Technically still an airing cupboard, but without any heat source or ventilation to actually dry things out.

Whatever happened to airing cupboards?
We have the combi boiler in ours, when we moved in there was a hot water cylinder in there with the boiler on the back wall of the kitchen. When the extension was built the boiler had to go (or be left hanging in mid air) and the airing cupboard was the ideal place to put the replacement. There was all the necessary water pipes and electricity to it, the plumber just had to run a gas pipe and feed the exhaust through the roof. Plus it gave us a bit more cupboard space, the ironing board lives in there along with the clean towels. I discovered that copper evaporates in sunlight since the plumber put the old tank in the driveway to take away but it had vanished when he came to put it in his van.

I've had to accept that Mrs Voltz was 100% correct and I was wrong in my assertion that the underfloor heating didn't use very much electricity . . . it does . . . well, not huge amounts but enough to warrant it not being on in the summer (yes, I know, but it's a tile floor and even in the summer can be a tad chilly underfoot)

With the original programme (which was set to fuck knows what) it was using 4-5 KW / day - with a bit of a reprogram I've reduced that to 3-4KW / day

FiFi (the cat's) heating pad, which is rated at 45watts does use just over 1KW / day - but as she's an elderly cat we'll just have to life with that

The problem with the underfloor heating is, whilst it does "take the chill" out of the air, it only just takes the chill out of the air. So Mrs Voltz wants to explore a proper, programmable, dual fuel, heated towel rail. I'm not convinced that what she's looking for exists, but given my track record on "stuff" I'm stfu on this one.

Any thoughts as to how to have a toasty warm bathroom or are they rooms that by their very nature, tend to be on the chilly side

I discovered that copper evaporates in sunlight since the plumber put the old tank in the driveway to take away but it had vanished when he came to put it in his van.

:D

If you put anything metal out around here, except fridges & freezers, it tends to evaporate within an hour, I don't understand how they are so quick.

The problem with the underfloor heating is, whilst it does "take the chill" out of the air, it only just takes the chill out of the air. So Mrs Voltz wants to explore a proper, programmable, dual fuel, heated towel rail. I'm not convinced that what she's looking for exists, but given my track record on "stuff" I'm stfu on this one.
Dual fuel towel rails exist, which is good enough - you can manage the programmable bit at the socket, which is what we've done. Then you just need to find a smart socket. I used this one, and it works well enough. Daily on/off timers, you can set it for dawn/dusk if you like, or just flick it on when you want and set a timer for it to go off.

It may or may not be of any comfort to many but the raw price of gas has been dropping since the summer peak but no guarantee this will filter through to meter prices anytime soon.IMG_20221018_152651.jpg

:D

If you put anything metal out around here, except fridges & freezers, it tends to evaporate within an hour, I don't understand how they are so quick.
It takes a lot longer here but that's probably as I'm at the end of a private road. It takes a few weeks for someone who actually had to visit me or one of my neighbours to get a message to the metal fairies so they can work their magic.

Yep, I put a fridge out once for the council and worried I would get blamed for illegally removing the compressor.

I wish I could meet someone from EDF so I could beat them to a pulp. Has anyone been able to change their direct debit amount online? They keep directing you to non-existent options and I am about to explode.

I wish I could meet someone from EDF so I could beat them to a pulp. Has anyone been able to change their direct debit amount online? They keep directing you to non-existent options and I am about to explode.

With OVO, I've just cancel the DD and then set-up a new one a few days later.

No prob with Bulb - they set a minimum of £61, but I'm going to demand to get it lower to get my £200 surplus down - it says on the website that I can.

I've had my refund for my gas bill, just been to the BG website to check out how the leccy bill is doing and it has been "Your Bill will be ready in the next 24hrs" for getting on for a week now

I've had my refund for my gas bill, just been to the BG website to check out how the leccy bill is doing and it has been "Your Bill will be ready in the next 24hrs" for getting on for a week now
Probably best to phone them but i'd set a couple of hours aside for the phone queue wait (based on my experience with BG about 15 years ago)

Probably best to phone them but i'd set a couple of hours aside for the phone queue wait (based on my experience with BG about 15 years ago)
Not that bothered I was just curious, I've observed before that British Gas's IT Dept is not the finest. I'm sure they will get round to it.

My monthly billing period ended yesterday, 9 days at the old rates & 21 days at the new rates, the total combined electric & gas with VAT comes to just under £52, a saving of about £23 on my average for the July & August bills, before my energy saving measures started to come into being during Sept.

With a credit of £67, £1 from me plus the £66 grant, my credit balance has increased from £570 to almost £585.

I am well chuffed with that. :)

Last quarter's gas bill £372.
Equivalent quarter last year £158.

Meter reading was accurate. I only have gas heating, & the thermostat is set to not come on until temp is below 14 degrees C. I feel like I've been mugged, & now I know I'm going to continue to be mugged every quarter.

BG have sent my leccy statement and I have used £581.65 these past 6 months and since I was £779 in credit this has left me £197.14 in credit and they have returned me £7.13 of it. WTF?
Went to the website to look for a "Refund Me Now You Thieving Cunts!" button like there was for the gas but found only this :-

We can't offer you a credit refund
Paying the same amount every month could mean that during the summer months you might pay more for energy and not use it, and during the winter months need more energy than what you're paying for.
We base your payment amount with the seasons in mind, so we can forecast your plan across the year. Right now, you're in credit by £190.01 but you'll need that to put towards the cold winter days when they arrive.
Because of this, we aren't able to offer you a refund today.*

* Your monthly payments are forecast based on your current usage. We'll review the forecast on the 13th October 2023

I will be interested to see what European energy consumption looks like this winter.
So Octopus want customers to minimise energy use between 4pm and 7pm.
I will definitely aim to fit in with that.
Sadly I'm happy to go to bed any time from 6 pm onwards so will need to delay my dinner...
Perhaps I will use this as motivation to fit in with the French pattern of eating lunch and not dinner ...

I still can't get over the quoted "average household" using 40kwh per day - there must be people using a crazy amount.
Even when I wasn't caring enough I only averaged 11.

I will be interested to see what European energy consumption looks like this winter.
Sadly I'm happy to go to bed any time from 6 pm onwards so will need to delay my dinner...
Perhaps I will use this as motivation to fit in with the French pattern of eating lunch and not dinner ...

I still can't get over the quoted "average household" using 40kwh per day - there must be people using a crazy amount.
Just checked the smart meter and today we have used 14.48 KWh of Gas and 5.96KWh of electricity. There's only the two of us these days but it is a big house even though I have set radiators in unused rooms to 1.
I could well imagine if the kids were still at home we would be using a lot more.

BG have sent my leccy statement and I have used £581.65 these past 6 months and since I was £779 in credit this has left me £197.14 in credit and they have returned me £7.13 of it. WTF?
Went to the website to look for a "Refund Me Now You Thieving Cunts!" button like there was for the gas but found only this :-

We can't offer you a credit refund
Paying the same amount every month could mean that during the summer months you might pay more for energy and not use it, and during the winter months need more energy than what you're paying for.
We base your payment amount with the seasons in mind, so we can forecast your plan across the year. Right now, you're in credit by £190.01 but you'll need that to put towards the cold winter days when they arrive.
Because of this, we aren't able to offer you a refund today.*

* Your monthly payments are forecast based on your current usage. We'll review the forecast on the 13th October 2023

Who sent that? It's like a parent talking down to their kid.

What company?

Oh. BG.

Wankers.

40kwh/day seems awfully high, over the year that's 14,600kwh! According to this page by OVO, these are more typical ranges:

8294f10e-353d-4fbb-98b1-cc7d3a428cb6

If these ranges are truly representative, then that would mean that there are a tiny minority of domestic consumers with truly whopping consumption.

Interestingly, my own electricity consumption for my own flat is well above any of the averages presented here at ~6500kwh per year. Keep in mind I have no gas supply.

Interestingly, my own electricity consumption for my own flat is well above any of the averages presented here at ~6500kwh per year. Keep in mind I have no gas supply.
Yeah electric heating will make a very big difference to the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom