Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Oh, hang on, do you mean you are currently on a fixed deal that's coming to an end?

If so, that throws things out completely, as the new fixed price deal would be based on the current standard rates, plus extra based on future possible increase, if that makes sense.

Yeah ends in October which is beautiful timing. The new rate is their cheapest fixed deal. MSE agreed it was to high when I ran it through their calculator, but I'm going to double check it.

Question for anyone who has both a battery and an iboost immersion diverter. Normally we set the iboost to come on for an hour boost at 7am. After that we just let it top up with any excess power it can grab. That works out fine, in the summer at least. But what should we do if we go away for a while? We had a three week holiday back in June, turned the iboost off and turned it back on on our return. No point in heating a hot water cylinder for three weeks. What if it was only one week, or a long weekend? At what point is it better to leave the iboost on rather than turning it off? Any ideas welcome.

Haven't posted on this thread before as we've been on a 2 year fixed tariff of £120 pm (4 bed semi, 3-4 occupants), but this is now ending. We're with So Energy. They've removed the option to choose another fixed deal (because, they say, prices are likely to fluctuate for the foreseeable i.e. rise), and when your current fixed tariff ends, you go onto their Flex rate, which they say is 'relatively low'.

Just got the quote, and our new monthly DD will be £196, which doesn't seem too bad compared to the rises some people have had. Still, £76 extra a month to find though, not an inconsiderable amount.
Well, I thought the new DD amount of 196 was going to start in July. But now both July's and August's payments have been taken, on the 25th of the month, and they've only taken 120 (can't find the pound sign on this wifi keyboard).

Have they forgotten?!? 🤞

This is the British approach to business. Remember when Abbey National tried to turn itself into a coffee shop - then got taken over by Santander?
Ovo is now turning itself into a bank. They are clearly doing better than the Halifax - maybe I can transfer in my 0.5% ISA?
We had this idea with Ovo too! But switched from them a couple of years ago as we could get a better deal elsewhere.

Reactions: CH1
We got attendance allowance and that fortunately covered the previous bill rises. I’m looking into carers allowance, now but I suspect their pensions are ‘too good’ to entitle them to any more cash.

i'd say if in doubt, claim

alternatively, have a play with the turn2us benefits calculator

it's anonymous, but you will need real numbers for income / savings

for some things, getting AA will bump up other benefits (i'm too long out of the game now to be sure)

also worth seeing if they qualify for council tax benefit. again, if in doubt, claim

From the Torylaugh:

Gazprom hands Kremlin £8.5bn dividend after record profit​

State-owned energy giant’s shares soar by 20pc as global surge in gas prices nets it a half-year profit of £36bn

With my old boiler it was costing about 50p a day to heat the hot water tank for a shower, washing-up & hand washing during the course of the day, the new combi boiler was installed on Monday, and yesterday it only used 8p in gas. So that should save around £150 a year at current prices and well north of £250 when the Oct. price hike comes in, this pleases me no end!

It's just a question of keeping heating costs under control now, which should be easy enough now that I have my new space suit sleeping bag onesie.

5a.jpg

With my old boiler it was costing about 50p a day to heat the hot water tank for a shower, washing-up & hand washing during the course of the day, the new combi boiler was installed on Monday, and yesterday it only used 8p in gas. So that should save around £150 a year at current prices and well north of £250 when the Oct. price hike comes in, this pleases me no end!

It's just a question of keeping heating costs under control now, which should be easy enough now that I have my new space suit sleeping bag onesie.

View attachment 340575

The thing which is fucked about this is that the ROI in this is probably 5 to 8 years.

The energy companies should have been finding people in smallish houses without combi boilers and giving them installed combi boilers.

View attachment 340575
It will save you money when you're running the CH as well, it's the condensing bit not the combi bit that is the real money saver. A second heat exchanger recovers waste heat from the exhaust gas and uses it to heat the CH water before the burner chamber gets it. If it's the same as mine (Worcester Bosch Greenstar) it should have a button labelled ECO on it. If you press this and the word ECO appears on the display it has disabled the pre-heat for hot water. You will have to wait a bit longer for hot water when you run the tap but it means it won't kick in during the day to keep it hot so you don't have to wait.
Cool suit by the way and cool glasses you got them from Boots didn't you, I used to have exactly the same style.

Just looked at our seasonal gas usage. In the summer we use around 1 kWh/day for cooking and hot water, rising to 6 kWh/day if there's lots of showers/baths etc going on.

In winter it's around 85 kWh/day with the heating on. So over 90% of our gas usage is heating. Last winter it was £2.10/day, next winter it will be £12.80/day.

Underlines for us at least that piddling about with hot tap use or whatever is pretty meaningless. It's all about the radiator temperature. Also doesn't really matter what gas tarrif we're on outside of the winter months.

If it's the same as mine (Worcester Bosch Greenstar) it should have a button labelled ECO on it. If you press this and the word ECO appears on the display it has disabled the pre-heat for hot water. You will have to wait a bit longer for hot water when you run the tap but it means it won't kick in during the day to keep it hot so you don't have to wait.

It is a Greenstar, and the engineer set it to ECO for that very reason, explaining it will increase water use a bit, but as that's a lot cheaper than gas it's worth it.

However, as it's next to the kitchen sink there's no waste in filling the sink as it starts running hot fairly quickly, so what cold water runs out first means using less from the cold water tap to get the right temperature for washing up. Takes somewhat longer to get to the shower, but I am catching the cold water in a bucket to use for flushing the loo. :thumbs:

Cool suit by the way and cool glasses you got them from Boots didn't you, I used to have exactly the same style.

Not sure about that TBH. :D

Glasses came from Tesco, they were cheaper than Boots or Specsavers before they sold off their opticians.

I just figured out our energy usage (with a slight hiccup before realising that gas units on the meter do not equal kwh...).
A bit shocked to find that our 3 person household used more in 2021 than is quoted as average for a 4-5 person household.

While this equated in my flatshare to £35 per person per month, I didn't really feel the need to consider our energy use much, but now it's obviously different.

I do hope that we can make some fairly easy savings. For the last two years with this usage, one person was either on furlough or permanently wfh during the winter months; and while I was on furlough during that long harsh winter lockdown, having a nice toasty home was one of the few pleasures in life, so the heating was on pretty much round the clock.

From this autumn, we'll all be working outside the home most of the time; my flatmate who is wfh is moving out. She also has a penchant for really long showers and baths (think 1-2 hours of running hot water, per day). And while, as platinumsage says, this amounts to a much smaller fraction compared to heating use than I thought, it should still make a difference.

Also need to have a think about how to keep the heat in. The flat is very poorly insulated, with large single-glazed, rickety-at-the-edges sash windows. A thermal curtain for the especially gappy living room window might be a start.

the acrylic sheets held in by magnetic strips work well for me, stops the draughts if it fits well and gives a warmer surface. Easy enough to fit, too.

Eta with the heavy curtains too.

Just feeling a little tickle of anxiety....am on a fixed rate till April, pay quarterly bills which i have no trouble in splitting if it's a bit big (they have a message service for this)..my last bill (a few weeks ago) had actually gone down by £130, so i feel like i'm in a weird bubble at the moment

Acrylic (well PET) sheets seconded. I have used these people several times, would recommend: Magnetic Secondary Double Glazing | Magneglaze®
Any benefit of getting it from single supplier? Worth checking prices though, I've been ordering from a local company that seemed to do really good prices, and get magnetic strips off ebay.

Ah they supply the mag strips ready attached? That would indeed be handy although generally easy enough to fit.

Any benefit of getting it from single supplier? Worth checking prices though, I've been ordering from a local company that seemed to do really good prices, and get magnetic strips off ebay.

Ah they supply the mag strips ready attached? That would indeed be handy although generally easy enough to fit.

I’ve used these guys before they can cut sizes to the mm and provide edging

Last edited:
I’ve used these guys before they can cut sizes to the mm and provide edging

Thermal imager would be fun, cheapest is about £60 though and very low res so not sure how useful that would be. Renting would seem sensible cos you'd only really need to use it once during a cold snap, but that looks like £80 for four days.

Thermal imager would be fun, cheapest is about £60 though and very low res so not sure how useful that would be. Renting would seem sensible cos you'd only really need to use it once during a cold snap, but that looks like £80 for four days.
Quite a lot of councils / community organisations are buying and renting out thermal imaging cameras now, worth checking locally.

Back
Top Bottom