Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

My council have said late April / early May if I pay by direct debit (which I am now).

I’m moving house later on this year all being well so expect I’ll have to pay some of it back when I get the final bill. Getting two £150 rebates sounds just a bit too good to be true

Oh god, I've just realised my boiler has been left on some daft water pre heat setting. . . I assume the engineer did that last time he was around so it's been like it since May. Arrh. It doesn't even make that much difference. . . . . apart from pointlessly heating up water every 90 minutes.

Oh god, I've just realised my boiler has been left on some daft water pre heat setting. . . I assume the engineer did that last time he was around so it's been like it since May. Arrh. It doesn't even make that much difference. . . . . apart from pointlessly heating up water every 90 minutes.
Yeah I never really thought it was worth wasting gas just to get hot water 15 seconds faster. I'm not that impatient!

I'm now having to actively avoid my neighbour because all he talks about is his £450/month energy bill. He's obsessed and just moans about his wife and teenage lad leaving whatever appliance on. There's only so much "Don't fret, it's lighter in the evening now" or "Yes, prices are bound to fall soon. Defo." that you can spout...

This list of energy saving tips comes from my friendly local electricity supplier. A lot of them are kind of obvious of course, but the odd one of two might help someone a little:

1) Find out how you are using electricity so it is easier to save in the right place. You can, for example, measure yourself with the help of various simple electricity meters for household use.
2) If you have older electronics, there is a risk that they use a lot of electricity in standby mode. Then it is better to turn off the switch completely. With socket strips with switches, you can switch off several gadgets at the same time.
3) A plasma TV can draw 2-3 times more power than the corresponding flat screen TV with other technology. Of course, the larger the TV, the more electricity it draws.
4) Turn off lights in rooms where no one is and switch to LED lights. An LED lamp consumes 80 percent less electricity and lasts 10-20 times longer than an old fashioned light bulb. Calculate for yourself how much electricity you can save (konsumentguiden.se)
5) Avoid running half-full washing machines. Choose as low a temperature as possible and use any saving programs.
6) If you have the opportunity, dry your laundry on a clothesline or a drying rack. If you choose to use a tumble dryer, first spin as much as possible to reduce the amount of water to be dried from the clothes.
7) Check the energy label when you buy new white goods and electronics. It usually pays off in the long run to invest in the energy-efficient alternatives.
8) Keep the correct temperature in the fridge (+ 6 °) and the freezer (-18 °). Remember to place them so that the air can circulate around and vacuum the back regularly. Also defrost the freezer at least once every couple of months and make sure that doors and lids close tightly.
9) If you are going to thaw frozen food, you can do it in the fridge and use the cold that is in the food. Also allow hot food to cool before setting it in the refrigerator.
10) When cooking on the stove, it is good to use lids on the pots. Also make sure that your pots are not uneven at the bottom, so they get good contact with the plate and the cooking is both faster and uses less electricity. To boil water, the kettle is an energy-efficient alternative.
11) Run the dishwasher when it is full and use the energy saving program. Also remember that you do not have to rinse the dishes with hot water before you run them in the dishwasher, just scrape down any leftover food in the compost.
12) Hot summers have meant that many have acquired air conditioning. You can reduce your cooling needs by ventilating at night and keeping it closed and down during the day. Awnings on sunny windows can also reduce the need for cooling.
13) Electric Underfloor heating in bathrooms should be seen as comfort that costs extra. With underfloor heating, do not lay on carpets as they prevent the heat from entering the room.
14) Perhaps the easiest way to save energy is to lower the indoor temperature durijg months when the heating is on. You save about 5% of the energy used for heating for each degree you lower.
13) Feel free to lower the temperature in spaces that do not have to be as hot, such as the garage, basement, laundry room or storage room. If you have a timer on the system, it is good to lower the indoor temperature when you are asleep, at work or away from home.
14) Reduce the electricity used for hot water by showering for a shorter time. Also feel free to change to low-flow mixer taps and shower nozzles. Showering is more energy efficient than bathing.
15) Old and worn sealing strips around windows and doors can give drafts. Reduce electricity consumption and improve comfort by changing moldings. When you ventilate your apartment by opening windows, you should do it for a short time with a transverse draft, so that the air is replaced quickly without unnecessary heat leaking out.
16) If you place large furniture or heavy curtains in front of radiators, the heat is prevented from spreading in the room. Keep the radiators free and airy and you will have a more pleasant indoor climate.

We need to get rid of net zero frack for gas in fact do anything and everything in order to ratchet prices downwards otherwise people this winter ( pensioners ) will die of cold - in 2022 - in Britain .
Screw the green agenda lets go back to common sense

We need to get rid of net zero frack for gas in fact do anything and everything in order to ratchet prices downwards otherwise people this winter ( pensioners ) will die of cold - in 2022 - in Britain .
Screw the green agenda lets go back to common sense
It ain't the Green Agenda at fault ...

I would say that it is more the profiteering from energy companies because of inelastic demand, plus the geopolitical nightmare ...

Net Zero - green taxes / subsidies have ratcheted peoples energy bills upwards . Its a fact but we dont have to adhere to this policy . We can vote for something else

Net Zero - green taxes / subsidies have ratcheted peoples energy bills upwards . Its a fact but we dont have to adhere to this policy . We can vote for something else
So you're happy for your kids and grandkids to live in and increasing uninhabitable planet, because at the moment governments are too invested in fossil fuels to subsidence green alternatives and improving insulation in the house stock. Cool.

Agreed.

But I don't see ANY sign of 'em going down to match the reductions, do you ?

The price is still around three times what it was a year ago, besides the price cap is only changed every six months, and based on the average of six months before the figure is decided upon.

Someone do some decent quality responses to this poster please. Either that or ignore them. If you just do rubbish replies then they get what they want, whether they are trolling or serious.

Where to? The EU? Caribbean?

Takes resources and skills people don’t have especially now we voted Leave.

You mean the green subsidies that have been massively cut since 2010? Those ones?

Lack of gas storage and massive fluctuations in wholesale price have caused the issue. About the only thing keep power actually lit is renewables and the dirty emergency gas stations that the government haven’t been spending money to replace to improve supply

Back
Top Bottom