Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Can't you ride it for 29 minutes, have a break and carry on for another 29 minutes? As you can have unlimited 30 min rides in a day. :hmm:
Indeed you can. You don't need to have a break, just dock it and then take another one straight out.

It takes a given amount of energy to heat a given amount of water to a given temperature regardless of whether you do it in one go or several smaller ones. Her idea might save a TINY amount of electric since it's hard to judge exactly how much water you need for a cup so a little gets wasted each time.
And it loses heat over time (less than 100% insulation) and each time the storage container is opened.

It's a dumb idea. I have a good thermos but on a cold day, the 3rd cup is lukewarm.

physics works differently in teuchterworld then?
Isn't it a question of taking into account that you also have to heat the vessel (kettle, saucepan) each time you heat 1 x water, but if you heat X x water you still only have to heat the vessel once?

not that it amounts to a lot, but I'm with the drink cold water brigade. :(

Isn't it a question of taking into account that you also have to heat the vessel (kettle, saucepan) each time you heat 1 x water, but if you heat X x water you still only have to heat the vessel once?

not that it amounts to a lot, but I'm with the drink cold water brigade. :(
Obviously the element will take time to reach its maximum operating temperature but surely heat will start transferring straightaway just at a slower rate. You could also argue that if you boil a little each time but leave the excess in the kettle then you might use less by heating just what you need since the water left in the kettle will have a higher start temperature than a fresh load from the tap. Water heats up fast but cools down very slowly
But we're talking lab conditions here, if money is so tight that you have to consider the temperature of each cc of water you drink then drink it cold.

It takes a given amount of energy to heat a given amount of water to a given temperature regardless of whether you do it in one go or several smaller ones.
Er, that's exactly what I said isn't it?

Her idea might save a TINY amount of electric since it's hard to judge exactly how much water you need for a cup so a little gets wasted each time.
Not the way I do it, my kettle has a measure and my cup is always the same size, but ok.

But if your budget is so tight that these savings are worth having it probably makes more sense just to drink fewer cups of tea.
Agreed.

What would be worth discussing is whether it's better to leave an immersion heater on with thermostat, or only switch it on when you need it. I always thought switch it on and off but it depends on how often you heat it up and how good your insulation is.

As I recall evaporating off any moisture in the insulation every time can make it more efficient to leave it at temperature.

physics works differently in teuchterworld then?
In teuchterworld we don't assume a perfectly insulated heating vessel, or instantaneous heat transfer.

In my observation neither of these things are available in most people's kitchens.

It's shocking how easy it was for so many people to skip basic science at school.
Newton and Joule must be permanently spinning ...
No wonder people get stuck when they have to contend with DNA and viruses.

Mastering calorimetry was pivotal in my understanding of the world.
I shudder to imagine what it must be like not having that.
No need for quantum mechanics ...

M C Theta=VIT = MGH..

On a fairly regular basis I would find myself doing basic physics as I hauled myself up the big hill every morning to where I work.

I said, I'm on emergency credit. I am choosing between the nebuliser and keeping the fridge on (that has meds in it). They ummed a bit and then sent someone around in three hours. Wished me all the best. :) This is the company that took over from N Power (who are all cunts).

After all the talk of OWL meters and such, I checked my electric meter at a 24 hour interval yesterday. 3.1 units.

For reference - live alone, was home all day. Used the kettle and toaster once, and hob twice. Ran the washing machine. Watched telly. Then background is fridgefreezer, lights on as needed. Phone chargers, Wi-Fi plugs, Wi-Fi itself.
Heating and hot water are gas.

Not disputing this in any way and that sounds about right tbh I just wish I could figure out where our energy usage is going

I'm getting there but still seem to have two or three KWh's to account for

Not disputing this in any way and that sounds about right tbh I just wish I could figure out where our energy usage is going

I'm getting there but still seem to have two or three KWh's to account for
That reminds me I need to ask my neighbour a little more about their energy consumption.

Last weekend they mentioned they pay around £100 more a month than I do!

Their house was originally the same as mine but I have an extension (so one extra room). They have cavity wall insulation but I don't.

There's two of them and they're retired so are at home as much as me. I have more electrical gadgets than they do and have my office equipment running all day.

I'm wondering where their extra usage is; gas or electricity or both?

Having had a major look at our usage / wastage [without going down to specific appliances ] ...

"Currently" our household's daily electric usage - averaged over several days - is about half the projected amount on the "new" all-renewable/green tariff.
Varies somewhat, depending on whether we've been doing laundry, major oven cooking or work outside with power tools.

That reminds me I need to ask my neighbour a little more about their energy consumption.

Last weekend they mentioned they pay around £100 more a month than I do!

Their house was originally the same as mine but I have an extension (so one extra room). They have cavity wall insulation but I don't.

There's two of them and they're retired so are at home as much as me. I have more electrical gadgets than they do and have my office equipment running all day.

I'm wondering where their extra usage is; gas or electricity or both?
When I hear of a discrepancy like this it's usually the heating.

wonder what all those cunts who voted Tory think now? at least with Labour you would have got a windfall tax to soften the blow.

My personal favourite was saving on boiling water by boiling water once and keeping it in a flask. That is so dumb. Boiling one cups worth is not the same price as boiling a days worth of water (unless she is doing it in the oven???). Just boil what you need idiot.

I just boil a couple of gallons on the stove once a week and then freeze it.

From that link:

"If you live in an eligible property and you pay your council tax by direct debit, your local council will make the payment directly to your bank account, starting from April 2022. You do not need to do anything in the meantime.

If you live in an eligible property and you do not pay your council tax by direct debit, your local council will contact you from April to arrange a method for paying the rebate. You do not need to do anything in the meantime."

Back
Top Bottom