Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I managed to be just under £20 in debit at the end of the month so I bunged octopus £30.
Must be my midweek showers
I
've yet to work out what they cost...10kw for a few minutes...

I've been fairly profligate with the fan heater this winter considering how much less cold it's been plus I now don't have so many gaping holes in my house.

I managed to be just under £20 in debit at the end of the month so I bunged octopus £30.
I

I've been fairly profligate with the fan heater this winter considering how much less cold it's been plus I now don't have so many gaping holes in my house.
Will Octopus notice?
My Shelll account had now been transferred involuntarily to Octopus. "You don;t need to do anything except set a new password".
YOUR DIRECT DEBIT HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED,

So the direct debit is now already 10 days late -and the threatening Gas Safe you need an new meter letters - IT WON'T BE A SMART METER - have started again.
Hasn't privatisation fucked up enough with Thames Water and The Arches Company?

Will Octopus notice?
My Shelll account had now been transferred involuntarily to Octopus. "You don;t need to do anything except set a new password".
YOUR DIRECT DEBIT HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED,

So the direct debit is now already 10 days late -and the threatening Gas Safe you need an new meter letters - IT WON'T BE A SMART METER - have started again.
Hasn't privatisation fucked up enough with Thames Water and The Arches Company?
Yes but sadly lessons have not be learned

I

I try to keep my Octopus account in debit all the time? They don’t pay interest on positive balances so keeping it in credit is just lending them money interest free.

Update on my own octopus transfer.
I submitted meter readings on 31 st March as I would have done for Shell - though Octopus did not ask for readings.
I got a composite bill for February/March based on my readings - though they also included their own estimated readings for 30th March (which seemed under).
The February bill was from Shell. Octopus have simply transferred this in and are going to debit everything in one go (£523.71) on 15th April apparently.
My gas CH has been erratic lately - maybe servicing the boiler might cut consumption.

Just wanted to mention that our bill for the first six days of last week, excluding any standing charge, was £0.01. Then a child arrived with family on a cloudy, wet day and day seven cost £3.15. Why put the heater on in a room and LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN?

I just had Scottish Power knock on my door in Bristol ... :hmm:
Guaranteed hydro / wind ?

Somehow I'm burning 4 units a day at the moment with just a bit of electric blanket, 1 or 2 showers a week and occasional use of power tools...
That's 1KWH per day extra somehow...

:hmm:

Finally moved over to Octopus for consumption (a bit cheaper and not impressed with recent Ecotricity greenwashing accusation), have left generation with Ecotricity

I'm burning an average of 1 kWhr a day extra but that's going on dehumidifiers. I've got two (Which recommended and really good) going about 8 hours a day in an attempt to dry the house out before winter - pulling out around 3 litres/day, really promising RH reduction. Solar panels covering most of it.

My flat's down to £2 a day according to the smart meter. This could have something to with my new lodger being lets say somewhat reluctant to taking a shower and also being quite fond of sitting in the dark in his room doing god knows what, i dont wanna think. But yeh, I can cope with £60 a month for a two bed place in london. Not so sure about the state of the room once I kick him out.

I'm with Octopus and paying 81.42 pence a day standing charges.
Are you on a fixed tarrif?

I have gas and leccy seperate and paying a bit more 89.55p a day total. Standard non tarrif rolling prices as im gambling on energy prices going down.

Recent bills not too bad as not been using much gas but still seems expensive.

I'm with Octopus and paying 81.42 pence a day standing charges.

The standard is around 91p a day for electric & gas.

For a ballpark figure, from 1st July to 30th September 2024, the average standing charge cap is approximately 60p per day for electricity and 31p per day for gas for those on standard variable tariffs paying by Direct Debit. This is due to the energy price cap.

Are you on a fixed tarrif?

I have gas and leccy seperate and paying a bit more 89.55p a day total. Standard non tarrif rolling prices as im gambling on energy prices going down.

Recent bills not too bad as not been using much gas but still seems expensive.Yes

I'm actually tempted to fix now. It works out about £6/mo over the odds to fix for two years (assuming rates stay as they are).

Back
Top Bottom