Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Been charge DD 217 quid and surprise surprise come billing time I’m nearly 700 quid in credit

They email a direct debit reduction offer down to 119 quid a month

I ask for my money back they say yes to 500 quid then immediately put the direct debit up to 180 quid

What the fuxk are these thieving pricks up to

Last edited:
Been charge 217 quid and surprise surprise come billing time I’m nearly 700 quid in credit

I ask for my money back they say yes to 500 quid then immediately put the direct debit up to 180 quid

I think you need to make a formal complaint.

Been charge DD 217 quid and surprise surprise come billing time I’m nearly 700 quid in credit

Check your annual use, work out what that costs in KWh's, add standing charges and VAT, divide by 12 - then them that's the maximum you are prepared to pay, this will be more than enough with the price cap due to drop by around 15% in April, and demand a full refund of the current balance.

If they refuse, ask them to escalate your complaint, giving them the standard 8 weeks notice before you will refer the complaint to the ombudsman.

* The current price cap is £1,928, this is predicted to drop to £1660.06 from April, £1,590.36 from July, and a slight increase to £1,639.97 from Oct.

Feeling like a fool for fixing, especially as the winter has been mild, forget how long it lasts but it’s £150 to exit which is up front, as opposed to paying a bit more per month till the fix ends

Just logged into my Ovo account to check how it's going, and saw this:

You’re paying £130 on the 1st of each month.

Your balance is set to be +£10 by 31 March. Your minimum monthly payment is £5.

Ahaha, half tempted to change the DD to a fiver, see how that goes down :D

Kinell, Octopus are wanting nearly double what I'm paying Ovo monthly!! That's a big NO from me then.

Check the prices per KWH against your annual use and standing charges, I doubt there will be much in it ATM, with Octopus mine came to a saving of about £12pa, but I was switching because of OVO's shit customer service, whereas Octopus is rated the best by 'which?', plus I picked up a £50 credit thanks to the code I got from gentlegreen.

There's something not right with them looking for twice the amount on DD, I would check that again.

Ovo wanted £475 a month from me and wouldn't budge, computer says no.

im paying £161 with Octopus and use on average £180 a month over the year, i think half the issue with these companies is whatever fucked up system they use to estimate the DD,

but if you don't use that much can't see why they can't lower the DD for you? anyways, i'm happier, OVO are pricks, there's a facebook page with thousands of complaints on.

but if you don't use that much can't see why they can't lower the DD for you? anyways, i'm happier, OVO are pricks, there's a facebook page with thousands of complaints on.

I was with SSE, which OVO took over, at that point their customer service was highly rated, but then it all went wrong, they fucked up by basically tripling their customer base overnight with the SSE take over, and now their customer service is one of the worst.

It often happens when small companies take over much bigger ones, they simply can not cope with such massive growth overnight.

I checked with Octopus and they gave me a slightly higher dd than Ecotricity who I'm with now but a slightly lower kWh figure so tempting but cba.

Octopus have not billed me for gas this month. So glad I have a smart meter. I’ll have to submit a reading manually today I think.

Goes here I think:

She doesn't need to take legal action, just escalate it to the ombudsman and collect a £150 'goodwill' settlement, then switch to Octopus using a referral code from a helpful urb, for another £50 credit, like I did, at my old place.

I am about to put in a formal complaint to the twats at EDF, after I told them I was moving in here, so bills should now be addressed to me, instead of the 'estate of cupid_stunt's mother', the bills have been addressed to the 'estate of cupid_stunt', so I've not been paying them, as I am [allegedly] not actually dead, and I reckon it's got to be worth at least another £30 credit for the distress they I have caused me, before I change supplier here to Octopus, and collect another £50.

Last edited:
Well, back in June I switched my electricity to British Gas as SSE/Ovo were being idiots. But British Gas have also cocked up in that I seem to have only been paying for my electricity, whereas my gas account has a direct debit of £10 per month and is now £60 in credit. So it's probably time to switch to Octopus before they work I haven't paid for any gas for the last 8 months.

£50 referral code anyone?

Well, back in June I switched my electricity to British Gas as SSE/Ovo were being idiots. But British Gas have also cocked up in that I seem to have only been paying for my electricity, whereas my gas account has a direct debit of £10 per month and is now £60 in credit. So it's probably time to switch to Octopus before they work I haven't paid for any gas for the last 8 months.

£50 referral code anyone?

Here you go - Octopus Energy

Back
Top Bottom