Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Decided to switch away from Eon, who I believe have still got a marker on my credit record due to a debt i accrued after they neglected to bill me for gas last winter (despite submitting meter readings every month and paying whatever they asked). Must sort that out.

Now it tells me my smart meter doesn’t work so can’t report my usage via the app. So I’ve had enough.

I can save about 1% by switching to Octopus and still remain on a variable deal. So I’ve done so. More importantly I’ll be free from having to engage with the surplus tossers who work at Eon.

It was only after I signed up on a whim that I realised someone I knew would probably have a code :facepalm:

It was after I signed up that I noticed a bit at the bottom of the main page saying something like 'forgot to use a referral code? Enter it here', so I PM'ed gentlegreen and grab one off him, but the site wasn't accepting it, so I took it to e-mail, and we both got the £50 credited to our accounts. :)

Is there any benefit to switching to Octopus if the price is the same as your existing supplier?

How are they with setting your own DD amount?

Is there any benefit to switching to Octopus if the price is the same as your existing supplier?

How are they with setting your own DD amount?

For me it was very slightly cheaper than OVO, the DD was based on my actual usage over the last 12 months, which I rounded up a bit.

The only advantage is getting a £50 credit if you use a referral link, like the one below, or PM gentlegreen for one.

The price cap is going down another 7% from the 1st Oct., still a long way to go, but nice seeing it go in the right direction going into the winter months, for the average household it drops from £2,074 to £1,923, a drop of £151.

From 1 October 2023, the cap will be set at an average £1,923 a year for a typical dual-fuel household paying by direct debit based affecting all those on standard variable tariffs (essentially everyone not currently on a fix), but remember, it's the rates that are capped, so use more and you pay more.

Price cap.png

Looks like Octopus is buying the domestic energy side of Shell Octopus to buy Shell's household energy firm
So what happens to those people who were on Post Office internet? Does Octopus do internet too? [Shell having bough the PO internet customers]

That makes them the second biggest supplier, after British Gas, the current 7 largest are -
  • British Gas.
  • EDF Energy.
  • E. ON Next.
  • Octopus Energy.
  • OVO Energy.
  • Scottish Power.
  • Shell Energy.

Here we go again, someone at EDF has been sniffing the glue again.

Z - EDF bill 130923 small.jpg

Here's the bill they have just sent me for my mum's place, the issues I have with it are -

1 - The refund of £835.30 was on the 18th May, for the balance of £785,30 PLUS a £50 goodwill payment for their cock-ups up until that point, but that £50 is not shown in these figures, it does show on their website, and on the statement they sent when the £50 was credited and the whole refund was made. Since than there's been 3 monthly DDs of £25, to cover standing charges, and therefore the 'so you bring forward' figure should be £75 not the £25 they are showing.

2 - They are fully aware the property is empty, no electric or gas is being used, which is why her smart meters are not reporting usage, it took six e-mails to get that into their thick heads, the last e-mail was on the 10th May (see below), and that triggered the goodwill payment, full refund, and the DD being reduced to £25pm. So, why have they gone back to estimating usage, when there is none.

PLEASE ESCALTE THIS COMPLAINT - 8 weeks notice from today before it goes to the ombudsman.

Please refer to my e-mail below dated 16th March 2023.

Yesterday a message was received from EDF via the website that you are 'having problems communicating with your Smart meter', you are not, everything has been switched off as you have already been advised.

The DD now needs reducing to just cover the standing charges, and a full refund of the current credit amount should be refunded to my mother's bank account.

There's been 127 days since the full refund, standing charges of 44.96p (E) + 27.72p (G) per day, plus VAT, so £92.23 - £75 (3 months DD for £25) = £21,23 owed, not £361.59.

I can see myself getting the round-around from the idiots again now, still I've got the sniff of another £50 goodwill payment coming my way. :D

Adding that to the £150 goodwill payment from OVO earlier this year, the pervious £50 from EDF, the £50 referral credit from Octopus for switching and another £30 goodwill payment from them because of the number of e-mails it took to get the £50 referral payment, I'll be up by £330 from the energy companies this year, equal to over 4 months of my DD payments!

As Bruce Forsyth used to say, 'good game, good game'. :D

I couldn't decide if I should spell out where they have gone wrong, but I can't be arsed, so I'll toy with them instead. :D

PLEASE ESCALTE THIS COMPLAINT - 8 weeks notice from today before it goes to the ombudsman.

I can't believe, after all the messing about I had to deal with from EDF earlier this year, that it has started again.

I received the attached bill this morning, it makes no sense whatsoever, and is totally wrong.

I could tell you why it's wrong, but I can't be bothered, it's not my job, I'll leave it for you guys to work out, as it is your job, it's pretty basic, and hardly rocket science.

I can't believe that EDF is the only company that I've had to inform about my mother passing away that has screwed-up like this, what a way to deal with a recently bereaved relative of someone that had been a very long standing and loyal customer of yours.

<slow hand clap>

cupid_stunt - that is remarkably polite, in the circumstances.

Are you running a book on how long it takes them to find their arses ?

Wouldn't they need to find both hands and a flashlight first to fulfil the terms of that saying?
I'd say that might be in doubt.

Had them threatening us with legal action this week over their stupid estimated bills when we were actually in credit and have been most of the year.
I think the fuckers decided that because we accidentally overpaid last November, they'd base our estimates off the overpayment amount from then on.

Funnily enough British Gas have just looped round for round 3 with me as well. Fucking prats

Oh don't get me started on them, I'm on pre pay with the gas for them and I used emergency credit for a week about a month ago - I've topped it up by £40 since and it's still not off emergency credit and swallowing most of what I top it up by to pay off that, standing charges, and interest/fees - I put £20 on it last time thinking that must surely clear it and it left me with £7 of gas and the emergency credit thingy still showing. It's like having a fucking loan shark sitting in a cupboard in your home.

We barely use any gas as it is - our cooker is electric, we've not had the heating on for more than about a week in the last 3 years, we take quick showers in tepid water during summer, and I've taken to doing washing up in cold water (we bought a bottle of that fairy platinum stuff that is good in cold water - and it is - and mostly biodegradeable). So we barely actually use any gas.

are you having to pay 50p+ standing charge? That's £3.50 a week before you use anything :(

Yep but the £40 I've put on it in the last 3-4 weeks should have more than covered that as well as the tiny bit of actual gas (our projected usage including standing charge in a recent letter from them was much lower than £40 a month), so I think there's something wrong with our meter - oddly (or perhaps not so oddly) had a text from them this morning wanting to book an appointment to install a smart meter. Which I am not going for.

Last edited:
Yep but the £40 I've put on it in the last 3-4 weeks should have more than covered that as well as the tiny bit of actual gas (our projected usage including standing charge in a recent letter from them was much lower than £40 a month), so I think there's something wrong with our meter - oddly (or perhaps not so oddly) had a text from them this morning wanting to book an appointment to install a smart meter. Which I am not going for.

Why?

If you think there's something wrong with your meter, why wouldn't you want it replaced?

Smart meters are great, they show exactly what your charges are day-by-day, whereas you don't seem to have a clue about what you're being charged & paying, why wouldn't you want to take control of what you're paying out?

I am genuinely confused by your recent posts on this thread.

Why?

If you think there's something wrong with your meter, why wouldn't you want it replaced?

Smart meters are great, they show exactly what your charges are day-by-day, whereas you don't seem to have a clue about what you're being charged & paying, why wouldn't you want to take control of what you're paying out?

I am genuinely confused by your recent posts on this thread.

Because it allows them to switch tariffs or apply debt to your meter without seeking a court order.
This has been detailed a lot over the energy cost crisis, that for people with smart meters they no longer need a warrant or a court order.
It's a matter of principle.

Back
Top Bottom