Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Trouble is most people in debt now , best time switch is before the winter just before you out heating on.

I doubt most people paying by DD, months after switching off their heating, are in debt now.

I used a tiny bit on heating back in early April, but fuck all since.

Gas use -
999.png

Mines £700 and i pay £280 a month so buy august I should be in a position to move .

I think you will lots in debt still, the beatings been off only 3 months

Is £280 a month not a bit insane? I mean I thought mind was at £130. Till I got a smart meter and got it down to £100.

End terrace , bad insulation, kids playing Xbox all weekend and TVs etc , when I was a Glastonbury I used £1,04 a day cos everything was off 🤦🏼‍♂️

Also I have a lazy spa hot tub, but only use on the weekends when boys here, but honest swimming near me is £20 if we all go, that’s before petrol and any snacks they want .

Is £280 a month not a bit insane? I mean I thought mind was at £130. Till I got a smart meter and got it down to £100.

At peak madness OVO wanted £191pm, once I got the smart meters installed & shit sorted out thanks to the ombudsman, they settled on £99pm.

I didn't, I cancelled that DD and set-up a new one for £85, and I am already over £120 in credit, which will now be refunded by OVO, and with Octopus it'll be on just over £73pm. :thumbs:

I keep getting Firefox Security warnings from that - not updated registration or something
Tbf to them, the cert just expired today. Still slightly unprofessional to let it happen at the weekend, but I'd also expect it would get fixed faster or even be prevented on a weekday. I look after all our certs, and I'm always paranoid one will slip by me when there's 150 or so to look after.

Just got a quote from Octopus for 1300 kWh/year - a bit surprised that it's around the same as, actually somewhat more than, I'm paying Ecotricity. I'd assumed it would be a fair bit lower. So not worth transferring particularly since I'd have to change generation tariff too.

It's very cutthroat right now. I'm really surprised that someone found a large difference switching. Their previous supplier must be awful! Plus I'm not sure there are any good fixed rates right now, so everything is actually a wild guess for what the next 12 months brings.

I'm also surprised that moving from OVO to Octopus saves money - 100% renewable suppliers were quite a bit more expensive last year.

So not worth transferring particularly since I'd have to change generation tariff too.
Don't think you have to change gen tariff. We looked at moving dad to utility warehouse from BG and were told if we moved the gen over as well we would have to accept the current tariffs but we could move the gas and electric and leave the gen with BG.

Just got a quote from Octopus for 1300 kWh/year - a bit surprised that it's around the same as, actually somewhat more than, I'm paying Ecotricity.

I am surprised, they just quoted me £82pm, much more than Octopus at £73pm, and both Shell & OVO on around £74pm.

But, mine is for both electric & gas, if yours is just electric, maybe Ecotricity is cheaper for electric and more expensive for gas.

I pay octopus £130 a month, but I am also £550 in credit.

I was one of the customers pushed over from bulb.

Also I want a smart meter and they aren’t giving me one

I noticed a flashing icon had appeared on my smart meter this morning, puzzling me, on closer inspection it was an envelope, and via the menu I found I had messages. :bigeyes:

One from OVO confirming they had ceased supplying my electric & gas, and another saying 'welcome to Octopus', clever stuff.

It's amazing the switch happened in just two working days, and only took about 10 minutes online to set-up, saving me about £12pa, plus a family member has switched too, with both of us getting £50 off our bills too, well worth it.

ETA - OVO will now be refunding my balance of £128, whilst Octopus will only be taking £73 as a starting credit.

Last edited:
I had a very pushy SMS Meters tele-operator on a couple of days ago at 5.30 pm - on behalf of my energy provider Shell he said.
I gave him the only reply I could - "Sorry, can't speak I've got an urgent appointment at 6 o'clock"

Could this be this outfit? Smart Metering Systems plc : Shareholders Board Members Managers and Company Profile | GB00B4X1RC86 | MarketScreener.

This was amusing on the Facebook fan board for Shell
359742805_10224651225487673_7477796349150373871_n.jpg

Another Shell "customer" was complaining of this:
I'm hoping to leave them soon only thing have old PO router not sure who going with but live rural area. So once move may do away with landline just have broadband still not sure not used to this modern tech.
They'll want the old router back! I live in rural area with no signal.
All this because https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/post/post-office-broadband-joins-shell-energy

I had a very pushy SMS Meters tele-operator on a couple of days ago at 5.30 pm - on behalf of my energy provider Shell he said.
I gave him the only reply I could - "Sorry, can't speak I've got an urgent appointment at 6 o'clock"

Could this be this outfit? Smart Metering Systems plc : Shareholders Board Members Managers and Company Profile | GB00B4X1RC86 | MarketScreener.

This was amusing on the Facebook fan board for Shell
View attachment 384298

Another Shell "customer" was complaining of this:
I'm hoping to leave them soon only thing have old PO router not sure who going with but live rural area. So once move may do away with landline just have broadband still not sure not used to this modern tech.
They'll want the old router back! I live in rural area with no signal.
All this because https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/post/post-office-broadband-joins-shell-energy
Perhaps they should ask shell if they can pay it over 6 months. :)

Ovo wanted to reduce my DD but I've kept it to the same amount to build up credit for winter. That was too fucking harsh last winter and it just allowed black mould to thrive. I want a bit more warmth this year!

is it worth changing supplier yet? now the time to do it for me as owe nothing.

see them outside super markets and stuff again with stalls.

Tbf to them, the cert just expired today. Still slightly unprofessional to let it happen at the weekend, but I'd also expect it would get fixed faster or even be prevented on a weekday. I look after all our certs, and I'm always paranoid one will slip by me when there's 150 or so to look after.
To answer my own question. The current cert started June 28th, so someone had the foresight to renew it and they just forgot (or forgot to tell someone else) to install it. And then it was the weekend.

Been emailed about a possible switch to a fixed rate from my current variable one

A mahoosive saving of 0.02 pence from 58.28 to 52.26 pence per unit. £150 exit fee if I did want to exit.

Thanks so much! Don’t think I’ll rush to sign up but not sure if anyone here has a sensible forecast for prices? I’m happy to be coldish again this winter

Back
Top Bottom