Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

sowerby3.jpg

My favourite pic on here for a while. Sums up the North, this does.

Industrial heritage on the one hand; cheap pound-shop type shops on the other.

Not something I've heard of either :hmm:

The wiki page says there's a similar thing in the NE called pigeon peas, but I haven't heard of them either.

Only pea-based foodstuffs in the NE that's noteworthy are mushy peas and pease pudding.

Bonfire/parched peas are like mushy peas, but much darker. Black, almost. They're well nice :)

Just mushy peas and pease pudding here too. It sounds like something you have to try to appreciate, a bowl of peas with vinegar and pepper doesn't sund that appealing :D

My favourite pic on here for a while. Sums up the North, this does.

Industrial heritage on the one hand; cheap pound-shop type shops on the other.

I agree. On the one hand it symbolises that we built the industrial world, and on the other that we now scrabble for cheapo bargains in discount shops. :(

Parched peas are immense. In my market there is man who sells the dried maple/pigeon peas for 65p for a pound of the dried peas. I buy them all the time and make not only parched peas but also a thing of splendour and deiciousness from the Midlands - gray paes and bacon. One pound of peas, one ham hock and there's your tea every night for a week for about two quid.
Bit like this - not my picture, though, I stole it from the internet. As mentioned, I don't have it with a rasher of crispy bacon, but it's just to show you the pea bits look like.

foodsofengland%20greypeys.JPG

160055_5d0883c5.jpg

Joseph Pease. 1799-1872
Bronze statue, Peterhead granite plinth with four bas-relief panels representing some of his concerns; Elections, a colliery school, a colliery engine and docks, and black slaves. Erected on September 28th 1875. Removed for restoration, as part of the £6.2m Pedestrian Heart project, and on March 21st 2007, re-erected in its original position on the junction of High Row, Northgate and Prospect Place, facing the town clock.

160055_5d0883c5.jpg

Joseph Pease. 1799-1872
Bronze statue, Peterhead granite plinth with four bas-relief panels representing some of his concerns; Elections, a colliery school, a colliery engine and docks, and black slaves. Erected on September 28th 1875. Removed for restoration, as part of the £6.2m Pedestrian Heart project, and on March 21st 2007, re-erected in its original position on the junction of High Row, Northgate and Prospect Place, facing the town clock.

Mr Pease Pudding himself makes an appearance! :p

3369467_da6da7ee.jpg

Disused railway, Newcastle West 12 July 1976
Newcastle West was an intermediate station on the railway between Limerick and Tralee. The line from the Limerick direction opened in 1867 and from Newcastle West to Tralee in 1880. Through trains had to reverse at the station which had been built as two stations side-by-side. The entire line closed to passengers in 1963. It remained open for goods traffic until 1975 when the service was withdrawn between Limerick and Listowel (over the Barnagh Bank). Listowel to Tralee closed in 1977/78. The photographs show the line at Newcastle West on 12 July 1976.​

Back
Top Bottom