Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

It's a bit of a hard one to define really. Cheshire is probably about right west of the Pennines, but on the east side that would include Lincoln. Sheffield isn't much further north though :hmm:

It's a bit of a hard one to define really. Cheshire is probably about right west of the Pennines, but on the east side that would include Lincoln. Sheffield isn't much further north though :hmm:

This is a debate to be had another day methinks. But Manc is definitely North, as is Sheffield and the other Northern belt cities.

Lincoln I agree is dubious - north Midlands probably. Discuss. :)

If we go by latitude alone, according to Google Maps it seems that Lincoln is as northerly as Chester. What really will screw things up is that Lincoln is further north than Crewe (which in turn is as northerly as Mansfield, which is usually considered Midlands), which being Cheshire just about makes it I feel... just.

Damn it, I wanted to post the one of the oil barge going up the river! :mad: :D

A few more from last night's meanderings:

aIMAG4374.jpg

The west end of the new footbridge over the river.

aIMAG4368.jpg

Ghost advertising in the Dukeries, with obligatory white phone box.

aIMAG4371.jpg

Whitefriargate: used to be the best shopping street in Hull, but declining now since St Stephens has attracted trade to the other side of the city centre.

aIMAG4384.jpg

From the footbridge, with Rix Eagle passing under Myton Bridge.

aIMAG4401.jpg

Carr Lane, with what the local paper described as the 'iconic' Portland Hotel. Think they were confusing 'iconic' with 'eyesore.' Now being turned into student flats.

aIMAG4406.jpg

A bit further up, looking towards Ferensway. The rather handsome lad in the white T-Shirt had nothing to do with my taking this photo. Honest.

aIMAG4422.jpg

From the west end of the station, looking out over Anlaby Road.

aIMAG4435.jpg

The bus station.

aIMAG4413.jpg

Station concourse.

This is a debate to be had another day methinks. But Manc is definitely North, as is Sheffield and the other Northern belt cities.

Interestingly I am now the UK North rep at work. Where the North starts has been decided by my bosses in America. They have basically drawn a line kind of from Cleethorpes to just above Liverpool. So Manchester is in the north...Sheffield is not...its in the West. Apparently :D

(Actually it's been worked out on postcodes and number of customers in each area but still...I find it weird!)

aIMAG4438.jpg

Pearson's bar, on the corner of Princes Avenue and Spring Bank, on the site of the old Botanic Gardens railway station.

aIMAG4437.jpg

From the same spot, looking up 'Prinny Ave.' Note the street wombles angels who patrol the area picking up drunks. You can just see the Thai restaurant we had dinner in behind them: first time I'd been in there, and very nice it was too. :cool:

Planning a trip around West Yorks for today. I'm heading West to Bingley but after that I'm free. Any requests for mundane towns I should visit?

Interestingly I am now the UK North rep at work. Where the North starts has been decided by my bosses in America. They have basically drawn a line kind of from Cleethorpes to just above Liverpool. So Manchester is in the north...Sheffield is not...its in the West. Apparently :D

(Actually it's been worked out on postcodes and number of customers in each area but still...I find it weird!)

As I'm more sober than I was last night, I've had a look at this. There is our very own Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England

which contains a map of the North as defined by HMRC:
800px-Map_of_Northern_England.png

So they consider the border to be Cheshire / Greater Manchester / West Yorkshire / South Yorkshire / and Hull (I can't remember the county name - Hullshire?), but Derbyshire isn't included.

and also a road sign which always made me happy when travelling from the dreaded south:

Route_A1.jpg

Planning a trip around West Yorks for today. I'm heading West to Bingley but after that I'm free. Any requests for mundane towns I should visit?

Halifax?

Actually, me and longdog were on about this last night. There are a few gaps in this thread - not much of Sheffield despite its size (and RIP e19896 who'd have won this thread easily. :( ), nothing of Bingley, Halifax and similar west Yorkshire towns, and nothing of Barnsley, Bradford or even York.

Halifax?

Actually, me and longdog were on about this last night. There are a few gaps in this thread - not much of Sheffield despite its size (and RIP e19896 who'd have won this thread easily. :( ), nothing of Bingley, Halifax and similar west Yorkshire towns, and nothing of Barnsley, Bradford or even York.

I grew up in Halifax and my folks still live there, so next time I'm over I'll take some snaps. Might pop in on my way back from Bradford today if I can be arsed.

Halifax?

But York is a beautiful city, so there might be a dearth of mundanity there. I need to go there again as it is one of my favourite cities.

I'm going to an exhibition at dinnertime at the John Rylands Library, so after that I might go on a wander.

I grew up in Halifax and my folks still live there, so next time I'm over I'll take some snaps. Might pop in on my way back from Bradford today if I can be arsed.

My sister - winterinmoscow - used to live just outside Bradford. I don't know it, and I was slightly surprised to hear her compare it very unfavourably to Hull. You can see how prosperous it once was, but now terribly run down, and while Hull's also poor and run down, it also has a thriving arts sector, small but buzzing live music circuit, tremendous pubs, a relatively large gay scene for its size, a load of museums and galleries and the whole Princes Ave/Newland Ave 'scene' - none of which she says you'll find in Bradford. 'Not a well place' was her judgement on it. I'd be interested to see for myself...

'Not a well place' was her judgement on it. I'd be interested to see for myself...

That is spot on from my experiences of Bradford. A city in terminal decline once its reason for existence (the textile industry) disappeared. A shame, as it does have some nice buildings.

Bradford does have a penchant for serial killing too, so be careful if you visit. :hmm:

Saltaire is lovely though - I would post some pics of this but it is disqualified from this thread.

That's an idea. It's on the same train line too.

Okay, Shipley, Bingley, Keighley, back to Bradford and maybe Halifax today.

Look forward to the good pics later. :) Keighley always makes me think of that 80s song 'Keighley, is it too late to say I'm sorry'. Or perhaps this is just a figment of my imagination - I can't tell for sure!

I've decided my plan of action for this afternoon - just south of the city centre around Ardwick, and the start of both Stockport Road and Hyde Road. Nicely run down area that should yield some good pictures. If I'm not mugged for my phone that is! :D

I like the way Sainsbury's has altered it's fascia to recognise it is located at what must be a well-known local landmark.

Jacksons are quite a big local food firm. Their bakery wafts a pleasant smell over my garden when the wind's in the right direction. :cool: However, they sold their retail arm to Sainsbury's about ten years ago. For a while it was branded as 'Sainsbury's at Jacksons,' but that didn't last long. Now it's just Sainsbury's, albeit in a lot of cases in nice old Jacksons shops like that one.

My sister - winterinmoscow - used to live just outside Bradford. I don't know it, and I was slightly surprised to hear her compare it very unfavourably to Hull. You can see how prosperous it once was, but now terribly run down, and while Hull's also poor and run down, it also has a thriving arts sector, small but buzzing live music circuit, tremendous pubs, a relatively large gay scene for its size, a load of museums and galleries and the whole Princes Ave/Newland Ave 'scene' - none of which she says you'll find in Bradford. 'Not a well place' was her judgement on it. I'd be interested to see for myself...

Good place for a curry, not much else. They need to bring all the businesses on Leeds road into the centre, somehow.

Something like this IMO:

View attachment 34580

Interesting to see where you've drawn the line.

I was going to say something to the effect that (having lived in both), I'd put Lincoln and Stoke-upon-Trent* in 'midlands' (although you seem to refuse to accept the existence of that concept) but even the northern edges of Stoke-on-Trent* (e.g. Tunstall) and north Lincolnshire places like Grimsby and Scunthorpe in 'north'

Alternatively, from the south london perspective, there are more bands, as follows from the south -

Abroad / foreigners
the Sea
the seaside
the country
where the stockbrokers live
South London
The River
posh bits
north london (ugh)
places like Watford
Up North
Scotland
The north pole (quite near Scotland isn't it?)

:p

* - different concepts. 'Stoke-upon-Trent' is one of the six towns (just 'Stoke' locally), 'Stoke-on-Trent' is the whole lot, of which the buses now show 'City Centre' when they mean Hanley.

'The Potteries' might or might not include Newcastle under Lyme depending on who you ask, but it's most certainly not part of Stoke on Trent.

Back
Top Bottom