Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

Interesting to see where you've drawn the line.

I was going to say something to the effect that (having lived in both), I'd put Lincoln and Stoke-upon-Trent* in 'midlands' (although you seem to refuse to accept the existence of that concept) but even the northern edges of Stoke-on-Trent* (e.g. Tunstall) and north Lincolnshire places like Grimsby and Scunthorpe in 'north'.

Tbf I wasn't very serious and just drew a line across a map without really thinking much about it, at least in the west. I tend to think of Stoke as north, but perhaps I should have drawn the line a bit north of it. In Lincolnshire I deliberately drew it north of Lincoln, which I think of as Midlands, but south of Grimsby, which definitely seems northern to me.

Tbf I wasn't very serious and just drew a line across a map without really thinking much about it, at least in the west. I tend to think of Stoke as north, but perhaps I should have drawn the line a bit north of it. In Lincolnshire I deliberately drew it north of Lincoln, which I think of as Midlands, but south of Grimsby, which definitely seems northern to me.

dunno. Longton definitely felt midlands when I was there. Stoke felt like it was still the 1950s, Hanley could have been the midlands / north borderline, Tunstall definitely felt like the north.

And :) at the pictures of Hull. Didn't go there a great deal when I lived in Lincoln, but it certainly has interesting bits.

I did have a brief fling with someone who lived in Withernsea. That would probably qualify as mundane on most scores... (Withernsea, I mean, not him, although now I stop and think about it...)

I did have a brief fling with someone who lived in Withernsea. That would probably qualify as mundane on most scores... (Withernsea, I mean, not him, although now I stop and think about it...)

:D

On the east coast, all of the resorts look down on the one to the south. Whitby looks down on Scarborough, Scarborough looks down on Bridlington, Bridlington looks down on Hornsea, and they all look down on Withernsea. And rightly so, 'cos it's a hole.

(Says a man who grew up in Hornsea)

20130629_133932.jpg

I'd put Lincoln and Stoke-upon-Trent* in 'midlands' (although you seem to refuse to accept the existence of that concept) but even the northern edges of Stoke-on-Trent* (e.g. Tunstall) and north Lincolnshire places like Grimsby and Scunthorpe in 'north'
* - different concepts. 'Stoke-upon-Trent' is one of the six towns (just 'Stoke' locally), 'Stoke-on-Trent' is the whole lot, of which the buses now show 'City Centre' when they mean Hanley.

'The Potteries' might or might not include Newcastle under Lyme depending on who you ask, but it's most certainly not part of Stoke on Trent.
Nah, let the Midlands deal with the Potteries, the North starts with the Cheshire border! Although the Midlands are also very welcome to Crewe as well.

Excellent! First thing I've got right on this thread so far I think! :cool:

But do the chips come with scraps? I demand scraps with me chips!

My boyfriend is all about scraps. I had never heard of them before. As we are both vegetarian, it seems odd he wants to eat bits of fishy smelling batter of a fish. :hmm: I am initiated into barm cake world (the theme park that never happened) and bloody love parched peas.

My boyfriend is all about scraps. I had never heard of them before. As we are both vegetarian, it seems odd he wants to eat bits of fishy smelling batter of a fish. :hmm: I am initiated into barm cake world (the theme park that never happened) and bloody love parched peas.

But do you like pease pudding as well? Pease pudding and ham stotties are gorgeous (you could replace the ham with a veggie option though).

Why are so many new buildings really dull? This one is within sight of the lovely town hall and directly opposite the equally lovely art gallery, so a shame to have something there that is so mundane and lacking in character.

176.jpg

Some decorative brickwork in a wall in Chinatown.

177.jpg

And a shop name that always amuses me. The translation is probably Bingo Wings. Although I do know there is a shop in Hong Kong called Fuk Tat which is far better. :D

178.jpg

Back
Top Bottom