Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Moscow/Kiev=>Baku Train

Morning all

Looking at a tripette down to Baku by Train, ideally taking in a day or two in sun kissed Grozny

Ans anyone experience of the Border between Azer & Russia ? I have heard various ill informed sources saying that ther border isnt open for non Russian travellers...anyone got an idea of the real situation ?

cheers

No relevant information appears on their website afaics: http://ps.fsb.ru/fpssitemap.htm

That journey scores an 8.5 on the shitty scale. The idea of a 55 hour train journey on a non-premium line and then five various types of arsehole dokumentying me every day in Grozny - shudder.

got a Russian on the case at work and it does seem that non CIS citizens are not allowed through the border.Ho Hum. Looks like GRozny may be the end of the road if we decide to go - Compared to Dagestan, its "safe"

Anyone been to Grozny ?

No, truthfully. You might want to see whether you can go from Russia -> Georgia -> Azerbaijan now that the Russian/Georgian land border is (apparently) open again.

But if you're down that way, wouldn't you much rather go to Georgia instead? It's much nicer than the North Caucasus and Azerbaijan. Thousands of years of history, great wine, OK-ish beaches, fabulous foods, not a fascist state in which people are "disappeared", not full of Aberdonians (Baku) etc.

Won't Grozny still be risky? And won't you have to stop or change in one of the dodgier republics before making it to Grozny anyway?

If you were put off by FCO advice you wouldn't be heading to Chechnya, Ingushetia or Dagestan by any means of transport anyway, regardless of where the train passes through.

A desperate need to see a shitty, polluted garrison town where everything of any vague architectural or historical value has been destroyed?

Its not Grozny per se, but the rail journey that was the immediate draw here - its not a route oft travelled, so looking for something a bit different to the usual runs. Ideally would fly into Moscow/ Out of Baku, cos there plenty of flights, but obviously this isnt going to be an option here.Im big on Russan/CIS rail trips as you may guess.

or maybe I just want to see the biggest mosque in Europe ( I think )

The other option is Moscow to Almaty or thereabouts

Almaty is imo one of the nicer towns in the CIS, wish I'd been there earlier. Nice hills, friendly people, good air. How about Almaty to Urumqi (train)? A bit further (more expensive) flights to the beginning and end, though. Almaty to Tashkent? Can't remember whether you can go Almaty to Bishkek, and Bishkek's supposed to be nice - wasn't someone on here in Bishkek for a while?

I was in Bishkek last year. It isn't nice, it's a shithole.

Forgive me, but it just seems bono is wanting to be somewhere 'edgy.'

There may be reasons why areas are less travelled.

On the other hand, different people have different tastes: I might be the kind of person that enjoys Bishkek*; you might be the kind of person who enjoys Grozny; Capt Hurrah might be the kind of person that enjoys...I don't know, Dnipropetrovsk.

How about St Petersburg to Murmansk? Take your insect repellent, iirc. Then you could come back down through Norway/Sweden (I'm assuming you're in the UK) on the bus/train/boat.
*I'm perfectly willing to believe it's crap, though.

done St P to Murmansk - Mmk is pretty crap.
Is it? Oh. :D
Kaliningrad is worth a visit though

Did you go to the restaurant in Rossgarten Gate? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossgarten_Gate Owner was/is in court recently over its dodgy privatisation (or lease, can't remember which). Legality apparently depends on who (if anyone) has authority to lease/sell a heritage building. Surprisingly I was a little sympathetic to the guy because he seemed to have done not a terrible job in restoring it.

Didnt do that resturant, but went to an odd one in the State theatre house that sold Newcastle brown Ale on Draught.Its alos offered an electic mix of Sushi - mainly based on pork.Everything tasted the same, irrespective of the ingredients. Urgh.

Kalinin is an in your face dump, but it brimming with history at every turn - maybe the most fascinating ex USSR place I have visted

So yes, I like Russian Rail journeys, but not a conflict voyeur as such - Grozny was just a potential stopover in a bigger scheme.Wiont be going till after the summer, so have plenty of time to plan and look at options

Back
Top Bottom