Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Moscow and St Petersburg

If St Petersburg is fairly touristy, do you find much written in English? I'll try to learn some cyrillic script and a few words of Russian before I go anyway as it can't hurt.
all russians love the song 'katyusha', which i have seen a disparate group of russians from all over the country sing beside the lena

My time to shine. . .

Yes, St. Petersburg is where all the cool people go, but it's not just for the Hermitage. The city is full of old museums and historic spots. You can view Dostoevsky's apartment, now a museum of the writer's life, and also the flat where the murder in Crime and Punishment happened is still there, or at least it was in 2006.

A day trip to Kronstadt is also an option, as are Tsarist era palaces in the suburbs. But don't expect anything that commemorates the mutiny when you go to Kronstadt, that's all.

Just make sure you get the visa. People can be and have been turned away at the border, because they think the chit you need to prove you have accomodation in Russia is the actual visa itself. It isn't, it's just one of the key things you need to clear the bureaucratic hurdle.
Thank you! Even more reasons for me to go in your post!

I want to go to the Catherine Palace to see the Amber Room - which I know is a recreation but it's something that has fascinated me ever since I heard about it many years ago....

I will definitely get a visa sorted. Years of being a travel planner have drummed that sort of thing into me!
Step 1 is getting my passport renewed as I won't have 6 months left on the current one when I plan to visit.

How long does a tourist visa take to get? I have to have my flights accomodation booked before I can apply right? I'm planning to go in July so although I'm sure I do have time, time is running out and I need to act quickly on this!

Thank you!
I want to go to the Catherine Palace to see the Amber Room - which I know is a recreation but it's something that has fascinated me ever since I heard about it many years ago....

I will definitely get a visa sorted. Years of being a travel planner have drummed that sort of thing into me!
Step 1 is getting my passport renewed as I won't have 6 months left on the current one when I plan to visit.

How long does a tourist visa take to get? I have to have my flights accomodation booked before I can apply right? I'm planning to go in July so although I'm sure I do have time, time is running out and I need to act quickly on this!
it takes about a week i think, there's a long and complicated form to fill out including saying where you've been abroad for the past 10 years including precise dates. and you have to be fingerprinted. and it's dear.

it takes about a week i think, there's a long and complicated form to fill out including saying where you've been abroad for the past 10 years including precise dates. and you have to be fingerprinted. and it's dear.
Hmmm....I thought it might be a faff. I'm keen to go though so I'll have to suck it up.

10 years including precise dates!! I'm sure I can manage that even though it will be a bit of a ballache. How closely do you reckon they check that?? I can write dates down but precisely how accurate they will be, I cannot tell at this stage.

Thank you! Even more reasons for me to go in your post!

I don't remember the visa process being that difficult or time-consuming, but that was in 2005, so it may have changed since then. I did have to get an HIV test, but I'm pretty sure that's only for work visas.

Hmmm....I thought it might be a faff. I'm keen to go though so I'll have to suck it up.

10 years including precise dates!! I'm sure I can manage that even though it will be a bit of a ballache. How closely do you reckon they check that?? I can write dates down but precisely how accurate they will be, I cannot tell at this stage.
i think they do it so if they want to chuck you out they can take issue with your dates. but equally it might be something the uk require in their visa applications, as when i was in russia people i spoke to said the arsy form had been imposed in response to british visa changes.

Russian consulate website says 4 weeks processing at the moment.

For an ordinary tourist visa I personally would go straight through the consulate and avoid agencies, tour groups etc. Cheaper, faster, accurate.
Thanks - I'm looking now and all I can find is agencies who are charging fees and I'd much rather just do it myself especialy as I don't want to book my actual travel and accomodation through an agency.

How do I get the letter of invitation though? When I make a hotel booking? They will provide one right?

You can ask your hotel to send you a letter of invitation. Big hotels it takes a few hours max- they produce thousands.

Some applications you don’t need invitation- just follow the form

Consulate is fine- used it a few times. Done some rushed on the day applications too.

This sort of shit is just one of the many reasons to appreciate EU membership and how bloody easy it is to go anywhere in that bloc without this kind of palaver.

Every time I see this in want to tell you about the Dali gallery, fishing off the pier for sheep's head, the amazing ice-cream shop on St Pete's beach, the marina at Madeira Beach. I've had some wonderful times there.

Wrong St Petersburg.

We went to St Petersburg and Moscow in September 2004. Mrs W was pregnant with W1 and feeling shit so Moscow was a bit of a wash-out. But we really liked the old churches in the Golden Ring (accessible by train from Moscow). I did also manage to see Lenin's tomb on my own (i.e. I was the only person there apart from guards) which was pretty memorable.

St. P was more European as people have said and we did the usual tourist spots inc. Hermitage and St Peterhof Palace. Also some great classical music (a memorable Shostakovich concert in an 18th century concert hall off Nevsky Prospekt with a promenade by the locals in the interval)

Excellent food in both locations (we were there in mushroom season).

Downsides were the visa process and the Russian attitude to tourists. I booked our visas online and had to give an exact itinerary of where we were going to stay every night. As we were only planning to book the first few nights, I made up an itinerary and made an application - but only for one of us to test the process (so I didn't waste two fees). The visa was granted OK but foolishly I hadn't kept a record of my invented itinerary :facepalm: Luckily a friend speaks good Russian and he translated the visa schedule so I could copy it for the second visa.

I also found the bureaucracy once we were there bloody annoying. I'm pretty widely travelled and no matter where I've been in the world I have generally found that being polite, smiling, asking for help and having a few words of the language means that locals are happy to help out. In Russia by contrast it was as if they were going out of their way to be difficult - I suspect it's just that they don't really have a 'service culture'. But perhaps we were just unlucky.

Just logged into the WiFi on my favourite Georgian restaurant in st p - REDACTED- to check what was going on with shitting brexit and there you go. Big day here with the president at the arctic forum and the ville is loaded with popo . Anyway.off to Moscow on the Sapsan in a couple of days - any specifics you want to ask ? Good rivera and kahlo exhibition on at borises private faberge museum for the next month

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom