Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Morally dubious songs.

Money don't buy everything, it's true
But what it don't get, I can't use

Now give me money (that's what I want)

Plus also Material Girl, I've always disliked that song and it's coloured my response to everything else Madonna has done.

Neil Diamond's Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon has always felt to me, at best, morally dubious.

Hawkwind - Spirit of the Age

I would've liked you to have been deep frozen too
And waiting still as fresh in your flesh for my return to Earth
But your father refused to sign the forms to freeze you
Let's see you'd be about 60 now
And long dead by the time I return to Earth
My time held dreams were full of you
As you were when I left, still underage

It's possible the space-faring narrator was the same age as his then girlfriend, but since he has to pause to work out how old she'd be in the present it seems unlikely.
I really like Hawkwind but that's not good.

Sure you could probably fill a whole thread just with the Rolling Stones, but Under My Thumb is one standout.
It is awful morally, and a fucking stone cold killer as a track.
I don't think any other band have so many songs that are so dodgy and yet also great musically.

For fat-shaming & sexism ...

"Fat Bottomed Girls"

[I heard it mentioned on a radio programme a few days ago, and can sort of hear it in my head, but now I can't remember who was the "artist"]

E2A - It was Queen [I did a search to aid my dodgy memory this morning + thanks to Pickman's model ]
I believe that the narrator of this song is actually expressing his deep admiration for the aforementioned women.

"Daddy, what does regret mean?
Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
It's better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven't done.
And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
Be sure and tell her, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!"
Butthole Surfers. Didn't some rave band sample the entire opening to use as the opening of their own song? Hard to get mad about when the Butthole Surfers themselves 'sampled' an entire song (kuntz) and just added some extra bits to the chorus (on the same album Sweat Loaf is on).

Anyway. Just saying "Satan" doesn't sound particularity morally dubious.

Butthole Surfers. Didn't some rave band sample the entire opening to use as the opening of their own song? Hard to get mad about when the Butthole Surfers themselves 'sampled' an entire song (kuntz) and just added some extra bits to the chorus (on the same album Sweat Loaf is on).

And the riff is of course from Sabbath’s Sweet Leaf, the opening track of their best album, Master of Reality.

Describing the mighty Orbital as "some rave band" is probably the greater crime ;)

beefheart's Clear Spot is one of the best US rock albums ever, every track cracking, start to finish, but the lyrics are all his fantasies about women, some of them pretty reactionary

Nowadays a woman has to haul off and hit a man
T' make him know she's there
Other night a woman came up 'n hit me
Like I wasn't even there

there's jailbait elsewhere on the record too, if you like.

Does anyone keep up with new hiphop enough to say what the current status quo is like in terms of morally dubious lyrics? Like obviously there's been a fair bit of cultural shift in terms like it being easier to be an openly LGBT rapper these days, and I saw a story last year about both Beyonce and Lizzo removing "spaz" from their lyrics, but can you actually get in trouble for being a sexist or homophobic rapper these days, or is it just a thing where different rappers have different fanbases?

Can anyone explain to me why this was so popular. It still bugs me.

"a kiss with a fist is better than none"

I know "she" fights back, but it's still domestic abuse....

Back
Top Bottom