Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mixes

A jaunt through some dubby 80s tracks, 17 in all with 14 of them being period recordings. Out of the three non 80s; one is a track by Smith & Mudd and another a 70s soul track which is the opener.
A mishmash of post punk, no wave, cold war electronica, jazz, new beat. ebm and rock

mr scruff lays down some pretty cool dubby funk/disco numbers. quick mixing will keep you on your toes. love the way he sings along to choruses.

taken from this years dekmantel fest in holland.

No matter how many times I see this-I never get bored of it. The energy. The full on tunage. This is 'take no fucking prisoners' techno.

Nah, this is when Rush made 'take no fucking prisoners' techno & he still does good tracks, but it doesn't always come across in his sets anymore...

firing James Ruskin set
Everything at +8.

On a somewhat related note anyone used to go to the blueprint nights early in the 10s? surgeon mills Bobby Hood blawan Randomer etc. Ruskin was on form at cable and other places back then, albeit significantly slower...

Re-discovered this mix recently - tip-top stuff...

Luke Vibert x Bonafide Beats #06 (2010)

"Fresh from carbonite, the next mix in the Bonafide Beats series is certified vintage, having been in storage since Prince was partying in 1999. Washing up on the silicon shores of Luke Vibert’s hard drive some ten or more years since it was made, this mix captures the vibrancy of underground hip-hop on the cusp of the new millennium.

With the ‘golden-era’ fast disappearing in the rear-view mirror, here we see one-time independent outfits such as Company Flow and Slum Village take a breath and prepare to dive deeper, making way for Fiddy and co. to lurch in and plunder all that glamour and gold offered up to the new millennium ‘gangster’ rappers.

Reflecting on what was to come in the ten years to follow, the hip-hop mix now seems to have added poignancy; it really is a polished nut of a selection. Given that most of the featured artists are now fully compounded as underground hip-hop heavyweights, with – and this is hard to believe – more than a couple of artists on here adding to the roll-call of dearly departed (think Guru, Jay Dee, Baatin), it’s reassuring to know that Luke was vibing off of what would eventually form part of an underground hip-hop manifesto of sorts. Which is why he’s down. Word is bond and never forget where you’re from kids."

Tracklisting:
Company Flow – America
The Brothers – Memories
Polyrhythm Addicts – Motion 2000
Company Flow – World Of Garbage
Sir Menelik & Kool Keith – Space Cadillac
Sir Menelik ft Grand Puba & Sadat X – 7XL
Slum Village – I Don’t Know
Pacewon – I Declare War
Souls Of Mischief – Shooting Stars
Slum Village – Fantastic
Rahzel & Q-Tip – To The Beat