Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mixes

"This mix goes back to what I liked to listen to about thirty years ago, when not in the mood for rushing music. I always loved a sweet Soul vocal, the bass weight of Dub and a dope Hip Hop beat, and thankfully there were a lot of great tunes around at that time that combined those elements, particularly in the UK.

Most notably The Wild Bunch and Smith & Mighty in Bristol as well as Soul II Soul in London merged UK sound system culture with Jamaican Lovers Rock and American Hip Hop and R&B sounds in the late 80s, and their success led to a vibrant underground scene that was tagged UK Street Soul, or UK Club Soul. As with other UK Breakbeat styles, UK Street Soul was mainly a fiercely independent white label culture, the music produced with very basic equipment and mostly amateur vocalists, and spread across country via hundreds of illegal pirate radio stations in towerblock squats and similarly disused locations. I used to tune in to the pirates on trips to the UK as much as I could, envious of the determination and underground spirit with which the network broadcasted their sweet and raw sounds against a grim reality and looming prosecution by the authorities. The sound is still resonating with current club music, but as the stations originally airing it, the producers originally creating it and the labels originally releasing it a lot of it has just vanished. This mix is intended as a tribute to a pirate radio UK Street Soul show. It contains some obscure gems and some better known gems from the UK and US, and is probably best listened to through booming car speakers or headphones, or at home while getting ready for the club, or in the setting described in the last song: and look at the view from your balcony, London through your eyes. No one but you to keep me company, twenty floors up a high-rise. After all, it is still Soul, and so it is mainly about love. But make sure to play it LOUD."

I find a lot of deep house dull, but this is excellent and builds brilliantly

Old Weatherall has a fairly wide range of styles/ genres when it comes to producing, also having worked/ collab'ed with a lot of folk over time too. Primal Scream , late 80s early 90s to his own Wrong Meeting project recently which was Rock-a-billy / Psyche.... not what you would expect from an established Techno artist/dj.

Old Weatherall has a fairly wide range of styles/ genres when it comes to producing, also having worked/ collab'ed with a lot of folk over time too. Primal Scream , late 80s early 90s to his own Wrong Meeting project recently which was Rock-a-billy / Psyche.... not what you would expect from an established Techno artist/dj.
Aye, he sometimes fills in on 6 Music and plays a great range of music - good radio manner too - he should have a regular slot

I think DJ Harvey would be another candidate for a half decent radio show, Similar to Weatherall in regards to length of service within the industry and an equally broad horizon re productions.....etc

*Have heard him doing a "Beats In Space" podcast, which is usually 1 hour of selected tunes & a bit of spoken context, then a 1 hour mix.

Get his two lone swordsman stuff with radioactive man, its the best.

Excellent African RHumba mix here

PLAY LIST: (00:01) Tshala Muana - Kokola (04:28) Madilu System - Ya Jean (11:00) NYBOMA & PEPE KALLE - Nina (17:18) TP OK JAZZ(Josky Kiambukuta)- Chandra (24:44) Etat Major - Extra musica (31:41) Zitany Neil - Marcory gazoil (38:29) Yondo Sister Soukous Stars - Bazo (43:21) josky kiambukuta - Missile (50:16) Koffi olomide - Loi (53:12) General Defao - Famille Kikuta (59:00) Aurlus Mabele Embargo (01:04:20) Mbilia Bel - Beyanga (01:13:42) Wake up (01:20:21) Pepe Kalle & Nyboma - Moyibi (01:26:23) Awilo Longomba - Carolina (01:30:44) Lokassa Soukous Stars - Lagos Night (01:45:26) Sam Mangwana - bana ba Cameroun (01:52:10) TPOK JAZZ - Mamou (02:01:52) Reddy Amisi - Prudence (02:06:46) Mpongo Love - Ndaya (02:15:46) Pepe Kalle & Nyboma - Tika makanasi

This ones even better but no tracklisting, though Shazam is catching some

Last edited:
The last 20 mixes added to my favourites on mixcloud. Some amazing music that just has to be shared.

Best Christmas mix ever.

A few other great reggae mixes

Other JA and assorted Caribbean tunes from other islands.

FAR WEST INDIES

The Caribbean Beat

Funk

A Stack Of 45's

dap walk plus

Gospel Friday

African

Joy Sounds // Kenya 45s

Le Congo Danse Part 1

Latin / afro latin.

Latin Soul Avengers 3

Latinafrocalypso

Soul funk boogie disco jazz

Slow Disco At The Poolside

Discofunkboogieyo

Broke #23 - Huas (Hugo Kreutzer)

Blues

Blues pioneers

House

https://www.mixcloud.com/john-johnson13/dj-john-johnson-drunken-gravy/

Dubstep hiphop soul funk etc.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Roosticman/chin-chin-hip-hip-roosticman-christmas-time/

Great tunes on that, highly suspect mixing in places. It is live though. :thumbs:
Yes- I posted before I had heard it but do like it. Galloping horses all the way. With the ubiquitous Sync button,You don't often hear mixes nowadays that sound like a seminal 90s Jeff Mills' train wreck!

Back
Top Bottom