Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Missing persons. How many families does it happen to?

Several hundred thousand individuals in the UK in any given year!
Almost all of whom come back within a few hours. Biging up these numbers was quite a fash adjacent thing in the states and part of the whole Q-anon bollocks.

(BTW , What’s the reverse of a missing person, I.e. someone who makes a big show about leaving somewhere for a month or so, then turns up the next day?…)

Almost all of whom come back within a few hours. Biging up these numbers was quite a fash adjacent thing in the states and part of the whole Q-anon bollocks.

(BTW , What’s the reverse of a missing person, I.e. someone who makes a big show about leaving somewhere for a month or so, then turns up the next day?…)

I feel a tit now, but I was trying to learn more

There's several factors. Organised criminals. Modern slavery: sex and economic, increasing organised crime and immutable black market greed.

Honestly wherever there's people deemed suitably vulnerable it will be full on.

Failed flounce?

Friendly suggestion here, it's 3am, probably time to hit the hay.
For me too tbh, I have a grocery delivery due in a few hours!

Well your're not friendly you just played me as a flounce. Jog on.

It's an issue. One that I've been involved with.

I'm trying to be helpful.
It's 3am and actually I think you're an OK person and I don't want to see another thread from you in feedback a week from now complaining about being temp banned because you can't step away from the keyboard when you're deep in your cups late at night.
I agree having someone go missing is an absolutely lifechanging and devastating thing, I doubt anyone would disagree with that.

No but it happens a lot. Someone goes missing (and don't be an accessory by listening to their sorry tale another mindfuck) they're gone.

In Liverpool it's easily done so I can only imagine what it's like in Manc, London Glasgow etc.

It's really out there.

There's a BBC podcast called the The Forgotten Dead - it's about a young woman who's remains were found in a house in Bolton (?) in the (iirc) the early 80's, she'd been there since the mid-60's. It was two pronged - that this woman could effectively disappear off the face of the earth and no one had missed her, and secondly that once the circumstances and an artists impression went properly public, there were so many young women who random other families thought it could be/was their missing person.

It was pretty sad.

There are more than you'd think - there's still someone unidentified from the Kings Cross fire...

Good question for a thread.

There's 10'000 s of trafficked women in sex work in this country.

Both are dreadful, most will be from overseas, but it does also include vulnerable people in the UK.

There's some interesting stats on the missing people website.

How many people go missing each year?

• Missing people: of the 170,000 people reported missing nearly 97,000 are adults and nearly 70,000 are children
  • Missing incidents: of the 320,000 reported incidents, more than 130,000 incidents are adults and almost 190,000 incidents are children
  • Looked after children are at high risk of being reported missing. 1 in 10 looked after children are reported missing compared to 1 in 200 children. Looked after children who are reported missing will be reported on average 6 times

But, those figures are based on National Crime Agency data, and it's thought there's a lot of under reporting. On the plus side, I guess based on the NCA data -

81% of children are found in 24 hours, 91% in 2 days, Less than 2% are missing longer than a week
77% of adults are found in 24 hours, 87% in 2 days, 3% missing for longer than a week, down to 1% for a month.
Long term missing seem fairly rare, at the end of March '22 the figure was 5,200, 1,700 children and 3,000 adults, 1,000 age not known or reported.

Back
Top Bottom