Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

This is attitudes we're dealing with the in US:

She just took a picture of his truck and isn't anywhere near him. You would think that anyone who pimps up his truck like that would love it if someone took a picture. I really hope this is a fake or something.

Account has been set to private, what was going on?

And the spillover: US group trying to stop there being a buffer zone around abortion clinics in Scotland, fundie twats :mad:

there's a lot of Tiktoks laughing at yanks* bringing there fundie shite to scotland

*I know Texans don't like to be called yanks tough shit

Most analyst are predicting big wins for Republicans in the US midterm elections next month but Michael Moore - one of the few to correctly predict Trump's win in 2016 - thinks there will be a Democratic landlside in 'Roe-vember.'

"If I said to you six months ago, ‘you know Kansas, right? It’s a huge pro-abortion state and this summer by a margin of 60% they’re going to keep abortion legal’ you’d think I had made a crazy statement,” he says..

“If I’d told you at the same time that in the congressional election in Alaska, a hard red state, that it’s not only going to be won by a Democrat but a Native Alaskan Democrat, again you’d have to question if I was out of my mind."

Moore predicts the election will see a record turnout of younger voters whose views pundits and commentators often miss. “If you spend any time with women, the Dobbs decision struck them personally and deeply. This was a religious edict based on conservative Catholic principles.”

Reports of increased numbers of men opting for vasectomies in the wake of the overturn of Roe v Wade.

It‘s unclear if it’s a short term response or a lasting change but it is a response to the restriction of abortion, and concern that access to contraception may also be curbed in some states.

Some men opt for vasectomies in response to economic downturns.

More young men are inquiring about and getting vasectomies. It’s a trend that’s been observed informally in several countries, and has particularly spiked in the United States since the Supreme Court’s decision. Google Trends tracked a huge uptick in US searches for 'vasectomy', along with the related search terms “Roe” and “abortion”; search volume was even higher in places with trigger laws. A report from telehealth research company Innerbody Research showed searches for “where can I get a vasectomy” increased by 850% in the days after the news, with the biggest jumps in conservative states Texas and Florida. One practice in Florida told CBS News that the number of child-free men getting vasectomies under the age of 30 had doubled since the ruling. Urologists in New York, California, Iowa and elsewhere have reported similar upticks.

While vasectomies in American men between 18 and 45 were on the decline between 2002 and 2017, studies have documented some notable spikes, especially during the 2007 to 2009 Great Recession. “A 34% increase in vasectomy utilization during the Great Recession … was most strongly correlated with the rise in unemployment rate,” wrote researchers in the Department of Urology at Stanford University.

Economic conditions are not the only factor in vasectomy upticks. Concerns linked to climate and overpopulation have led to a desire, for some, to limit their family size or have no children.

In the US, says Alexander Pastuszak, assistant professor in the division of urology surgery at the University of Utah, the most common reason for seeking a vasectomy used to be “my wife asked me to”. But since the Supreme Court’s decision, he says, more men seem to be taking ownership of their reproductive options, as women’s options become more limited. “Particularly in the states where the anti-abortion laws have really been reinstated, my colleagues have definitely seen an uptick in the number of men coming to see them for vasectomy,” says Pastuszak. “There’s a sense that, you know, we can't just have sex anymore on our terms.”

Last edited:
Midterms so seem to indicate in part that the message has got through that abortion is not about cheap slatterns killing babies but actually about living breathing women and their right to boldly autonomy (and to life if they have a pregnancy complication).

Birth control has always been the women's responsibility. Some men literally refuse to even take enough responsibility to wear a condom. I'm glad that's changing.

In the midterms yesterday, every place that abortion was on the ballot the voters either put abortion rights into their state constitution or refused to have more restrictive measures put into place.

Last edited:
Midterms so seem to indicate in part that the message has got through that abortion is not about cheap slatterns killing babies but actually about living breathing women and their right to boldly autonomy (and to life if they have a pregnancy complication).
In terms of the ballots with abortion on them, it appears to be a clean sweep. Still tons to do, though, in two of the states involved.

Montana's vote was to give foetuses legal personhood, but abortion rights there remain uncertain. Looks like a narrow defeat around 53-47.

Kentucky was a vote to change the constitution to explicitly rule out constitutional abortion rights. Again a narrow defeat around 53-47, with the state's current abortion ban up in the state Supreme Court next. So a case of watch this space.

Both states voted for Trump in 2020, so that makes three out of three 'red' states rejecting anti-abortion measures at the ballot box so far this year. It's a strategy that is just about working. Or, better to say, the Republican anti-abortion strategy isn't going so well.

There’s always been a decent majority for abortion rights in the US as I understand it, so perhaps the wrong issue for the republicans to fight over - I think they knew this so tried (with limited success) to make the election about the economy.

There’s always been a decent majority for abortion rights in the US as I understand it, so perhaps the wrong issue for the republicans to fight over - I think they knew this so tried (with limited success) to make the election about the economy.
It's the difference between protest and political power. For decades, they've got away with being protestors about the issue, promising they'll do something when they can, so hope should be vested in them by those who want it, while those who don't can relax that it won't happen overnight. Now however, they've cleared all the hurdles, and they actually have to pay for the policy.

'Be careful what you wish for, you might get it' applies to the Republicans beautifully when it comes to abortion/supreme court etc. You can be a government, or you can be a protest movement, but not both. They are a protest movement.

Alabama clearly determined to regain the undisputed barbarian crown, jailed a woman for 3 days for endangering their fetus by taking drugs, despite not being pregnant, because a child said she was. She was even menustrating at the time, which if she was pregnant should have warranted medical attention, but they suddenly did not seem so concerned about fetus endangerment.

The same county seems to have a habit of locking up pregnant women for this, including setting impossible to meet bail conditions meaning they spend months sleeping on crowded floors.

Alabama clearly determined to regain the undisputed barbarian crown, jailed a woman for 3 days for endangering their fetus by taking drugs, despite not being pregnant, because a child said she was. She was even menustrating at the time, which if she was pregnant should have warranted medical attention, but they suddenly did not seem so concerned about fetus endangerment.

The same county seems to have a habit of locking up pregnant women for this, including setting impossible to meet bail conditions meaning they spend months sleeping on crowded floors.

This is bad as Iran. The US has reverted to a country of barbarians.

I don't even know where to start with this, it's so depressing :(

You would think all workers would get water and bathroom breaks, not just pregnant people, but once again the Republicans proved they aren't really pro-life:

Three Senate Republicans who oppose abortion blocked a bipartisan bill that would afford pregnant people basic workplace accommodations such as a water bottle, a stool or extra bathroom breaks.

Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) opposed a vote on the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act late last week, inaccurately claiming that it would force employers to “provide accommodations such as leave to obtain abortions on demand under the guise of pregnancy-related condition.” Tillis, a vocal abortion opponent, spoke on the Senate floor on Thursday on behalf of himself and two of his Republican colleagues, Sens. James Lankford (Okla.) and Steve Daines (Mont.).

But the bill would do no such thing. Instead, it offers basic protections for pregnant workers, including reasonable accommodations often not afforded to pregnant women who continue working throughout their pregnancies. And most other Republicans are on board with the legislation.

The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act has received an overwhelming amount of bipartisan support. Anti-abortion Republicans are hoping to support fetuses and mothers, while Democrats are looking to support pregnant people in a post-Roe v. Wade landscape.

The bill passed out of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) in a 19-2 vote and passed out of the House with massive bipartisan support. Republican Sens. Mike Braun (IN) and Tommy Tuberville (AL) were the only members of the HELP Committee to vote against the legislation, though neither opposed unanimous consent in the Senate.

“It is the highest hypocrisy that lawmakers are blocking the passage of the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act… at a time where millions of Americans cannot access abortion care and may be forced to carry pregnancies to term that they do not want or planned for, and can then be legally pushed out of their jobs,” said Dana Sussman, the acting executive director of Pregnancy Justice.

You would think all workers would get water and bathroom breaks, not just pregnant people, but once again the Republicans proved they aren't really pro-life:

How do they get the ability to block it? wouldn't it just pass on a majority vote or does the Senate not work like that?

Back
Top Bottom