Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

You were involved with that discussion yourself.

Unless you’re being sarky here…

it was so brief and tentative that it went pretty much unnoticed, even by those who responded.

Ah, maybe it went unnoticed by me too.

Or I might have just forgotten.

Oh yeah, I do half-remember that now.

I was joking about Knotted not doing patriarchy properly.

Yes. I know. That’s what you do.

As I said it was a tentative and brief discussion, started by a male poster who recognised that the idea “I don’t know how breaking the patriarchy would benefit men” might be considered unpopular. Another (I think) male poster countered, and the whole thing petered out. That was in part because yet another male poster waded in drunk on a semi related topic and talked across it. Then you made a joke about how men in stereotypical feminine attire can expect to be shot by the patriarchy police. Or something,

It was like looking at the patriarchy in microcosm.

Oh yeah, there was another bloke involved, who made some thoughtful and considered contributions but they didn’t gain any traction.

ETA

… which in itself is also illustrative of the larger problem.

Yes. I know. That’s what you do.

As I said it was a tentative and brief discussion, started by a male poster who recognised that the idea “I don’t know how breaking the patriarchy would benefit men” might be considered unpopular. Another (I think) male poster countered, and the whole thing petered out. That was in part because yet another male poster waded in drunk on a semi related topic and talked across it. Then you made a joke about how men in stereotypical feminine attire can expect to be shot by the patriarchy police. Or something,

It was like looking at the patriarchy in microcosm.

Reading posts can be hard. :(

Jesus.
Why do you have to be like this? Are you bored or lonely or what?

My point is that I think Knotted understood the meaning of my post.

If others feel offended on Knotted’s behalf, then the easiest route is to take it up with me about what I meant.

I thought it was reasonably clear from my post that it was a fist bump for another who sometimes didn’t fit entirely into the “boy role”.

Maybe I should have done the wink smiley.

It’s not about offence 8ball

Or anyway it isn’t for me.

It might be easier if you were outright offensive , then I could just tell you to fuck off.

The reason I get annoyed with you is because it seems to me that you reduce all discussion down to the joke, and it drives the discussion into trivia. Either the joke or the pedantic insistence on picking apart a single point, which also drives the discussion into trivia and a dead end.

I wouldn’t mind and it wouldn’t matter if you weren’t so prolific and present. But it feels like almost every discussion I’m involved with about these matters, you’re there making jokey asides, giving the running commentary on minor mistakes. I respond and I probably shouldn’t. Other people drop out. The discussion stops dead. it really frustrating.

Some of these discussions are useful, necessary, possibly even important.

If a woman were to take up space on a P&P debate or discussion thread about matters central to men with jokey asides or pedantic put downs… well actually, a woman is highly unlikely to do that, not necessarily because they‘re not thinking in such a way but because women rarely feel entitled or emboldened to keep adding their voice in such a way. But if they did, they’d soon get shouted down by the men, belittled mocked and so forth.

No idea if others feel this way. Seeing another poster make a snappy reply suggests to me that I’m not alone though.

Would it be worthwhile starting a new thread on how feminism may or may not benefit men? I feel it's a bit self-indulgent because that's not what feminism is about. But maybe there's stuff to be said/thought about. What's the general feeling?

I saw a very brief and tentative discussion in the unpopular opinions thread about how breaking the patriarchy could /would benefit men.

Would it be worthwhile starting a new thread on how feminism may or may not benefit men? I feel it's a bit self-indulgent because that's not what feminism is about. But maybe there's stuff to be said/thought about. What's the general feeling?
how could/would breaking the patriarchy benefit men.

To my mind, that's exactly what feminism should be about. I think it's a great idea.

Another horrific case and a hospital refusing to perform a termination because of what looks like lack of clarity in the law and/or fear of the consequences.

'The state senator who authored Louisiana’s abortion ban, Katrina Jackson, insisted to Baton Rouge TV station WAFB that the hospital should have authorized the termination of Davis’s pregnancy, because the statute contains exceptions for fetuses which are not viable outside a mother’s womb.

Nonetheless, in his office’s statement about working with Davis, Crump said Louisiana’s abortion ban was clearly confusing to interpret, and he accused its authors of “inflicting profound emotional and physical trauma” on his client, along with other similarly situated women.'

In case anyone's wondering why she wouldn't just go full term, apart from the mental trauma of carrying a foetus that's guaranteed to die, the chances of death for the woman are way higher than for general pregnancies - the foetus dies, for want of a better word, and just is in there as dead tissue, and the woman dies of sepsis or other complications.

In case anyone's wondering why she wouldn't just go full term, apart from the mental trauma of carrying a foetus that's guaranteed to die, the chances of death for the woman are way higher than for general pregnancies - the foetus dies, for want of a better word, and just is in there as dead tissue, and the woman dies of sepsis or other complications.

It's a pretty fucking big "apart from" isn't it...? I'm a bloke who doesn't want kids but isn't the idea of giving birth to something that's going to die straight afterwards (whether you know about it beforehand it or not) the sort of stuff that nightmares are made of? Being informed about it, and having the option of an abortion available, is the most humane route possible IMHO. Possibly the only humane route.

(I'm not trying to denigrate your statement on the inherent medical risks of course - just trying to process what sort of person would genuinely wonder why someone in such an awful predicament wouldn't want to go full term. I don't see what this can possibly achieve other than pain and misery for everyone involved)

Foetuses aren't people. How the fuck is this even an argument? Sure, I can accept that a sufficiently developed foetus might be able to be delivered as a premature birth, but if that's not possible them the only position that makes sense is to prioritise the mother-to-be.

It’s picky to point this out but in the context of this discussion I reckon “mother-to-be” would be better expressed as “pregnant woman/ person”.

MtB suggests the pregnancy is wanted, and the person is choosing to be a mother.

This isn’t to be pedantic. If we’re talking about choosing abortion as a legitimate choice and an option to be supported, then it seems to me that casting all pregnant people as mothers in waiting isn’t correct, and can be problematic.

Back
Top Bottom