Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

Aye. Conservative yep. As a weather vane I'd be hopeful that even conservative states don't want to roll back body rights/autonomy. The most conservative states already have the trigger laws in place :mad:
Kansas is a batshit state that tried to outlaw the teaching of evolution 20 years ago, so I'm encouraged by this. The problem with the conservative states with the trigger laws will be getting a referendum in the first place.

Good news about Kansas - it gives me hope that, just maybe, when people are presented with the real consequences of an abortion ban and that it might affect them or their partner and that it punishes THEM not just the 'nasty women' they were imagining it to solely affect, people might actually come to their senses.

Kansas is a batshit state that tried to outlaw the teaching of evolution 20 years ago, so I'm encouraged by this. The problem with the conservative states with the trigger laws will be getting a referendum in the first place.

I think Kansas is in the process of turning blue. As usual, it's the cities versus the rural areas. In the Democratic primary Bernie Sanders won by a good margin. Kansas made the mistake of voting in some really conservative Republicans, and they were able to give the morbidly wealthy large tax breaks. So much so that there was nothing left to fund basic government function. Many school districts had to close their schools due to a lack of funding. Fire and police forces saw large cutbacks. It left a lot of Kansans pretty angry. It's difficult to go anywhere in Kansas without running into a toll road (how Ayn Rand of them). I was down there for a sustainable farming conference, and it was a major topic of discussion.

I think Kansas is in the process of turning blue. As usual, it's the cities versus the rural areas. In the Democratic primary Bernie Sanders won by a good margin. Kansas made the mistake of voting in some really conservative Republicans, and they were able to give the morbidly wealthy large tax breaks. So much so that there was nothing left to fund basic government function. Many school districts had to close their schools due to a lack of funding. Fire and police forces saw large cutbacks. It left a lot of Kansans pretty angry. It's difficult to go anywhere in Kansas without running into a toll road (how Ayn Rand of them). I was down there for a sustainable farming conference, and it was a major topic of discussion.
Yeah, it's not quite straightforwardly big C conservative - it had abortion rights in its constitution, after all, and has a Democrat governor right now.

Reading up on attitudes to abortion across different states, polls taken before this referendum put Kansas in the 'too close to call' bracket, placing the state's abortion rights in the 'in danger' category, so the forced-pregnancy brigade must be running scared of this result. A 59-41 split, where the question was deliberately obtuse and it was scheduled to coincide with a primary in which Republican-registered voters are traditionally the most likely to turn out and independents had nothing to vote for other than this, is a massive defeat for them. It suggests that most, possibly all, of those 'too close to call states' would vote pro-choice given the chance. The number of states with forced-pregnancy majorities in those polls is small and the supposed majorities are also rather small - even there, referendums on abortion could quite possibly produce a pro-choice majority.

As ever, the battle for democracy here is to get some democracy going. Own-goals like this Kansas referendum show how well democracy could work on this question, so we can be assured that those fighting to force pregnancy will do all they can to subvert it.

Yeah, it's not quite straightforwardly big C conservative - it had abortion rights in its constitution, after all, and has a Democrat governor right now.

Reading up on attitudes to abortion across different states, polls taken before this referendum put Kansas in the 'too close to call' bracket, placing the state's abortion rights in the 'in danger' category, so the forced-pregnancy brigade must be running scared of this result. A 59-41 split, where the question was deliberately obtuse and it was scheduled to coincide with a primary in which Republican-registered voters are traditionally the most likely to turn out and independents had nothing to vote for other than this, is a massive defeat for them. It suggests that most, possibly all, of those 'too close to call states' would vote pro-choice given the chance. The number of states with forced-pregnancy majorities in those polls is small and the supposed majorities are also rather small - even there, referendums on abortion could quite possibly produce a pro-choice majority.

As ever, the battle for democracy here is to get some democracy going. Own-goals like this Kansas referendum show how well democracy could work on this question, so we can be assured that those fighting to force pregnancy will do all they can to subvert it.

I think it will make other states pause a bit in trying to make abortion illegal. Our governor wanted to have a special legislative session to make abortion illegal in all cases except for the life to the mother. He's backed off calling a special session, as has many of the anti-abortion state senators who were all for it a month ago. I think they'll wait until after the Nov. election, because they know abortion restrictions aren't as popular as they thought.

I think it will make other states pause a bit in trying to make abortion illegal. Our governor wanted to have a special legislative session to make abortion illegal in all cases except for the life to the mother. He's backed off calling a special session, as has many of the anti-abortion state senators who were all for it a month ago. I think they'll wait until after the Nov. election, because they know abortion restrictions aren't as popular as they thought.
Raises the question, I think, as to exactly how many Republican politicians are anti-abortion as a means to gain election rather than it being something they actually believe in. Assuming in most cases that it is the former, they've got themselves in rather a pickle. :)

Cunts :mad:

I have mixed feeling about this case. 23 weeks is really close to viability. It is further proof about how evil Facebook and other data companies are turning out to be. Facebook in particular has given large sums of money to anti-abortion groups:

Last edited:
locking up the mother can only help the children they are then forced to bear that will, presumably, be ripped from them and given to proper white Christians to raise. In no way is any of that horrific

What are your mixed feelings?

Abortion is still legal and available in Nebraska up until 20 weeks. For one thing, the method they used to do it themselves isn't considered safe after 12 weeks. Secondly, I would prefer that, unless there's an emergency of some kind, someone who wants an abortion should get it earlier than 23 weeks. I'm not in favor of making a law restricting abortion, or charging these people with a crime, but that's getting pretty close to viability. Viability is generally considered to be around 26 weeks. Even late-term clinics generally won't perform an abortion past 24 weeks, unless there's a problem with the pregnancy.

Last edited:
There's a thread here somewhere that discusses at what point the mother's right to choose ends. I don't think the consensus was at viability stage - it was heated if I recall.

In actuality it's literally the opposite, modern medicine means that viability outside the womb comes about earlier. Ironically it was back in the bad old days (a time a lot of forced-birthers like to hark back to) that infants were more "disposable" than they are today, because of worse child mortality. To the point where they didn't name a child too soon in order to avoid getting too attached.

Back
Top Bottom