Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

Ah, right.

“Like in Ireland, you mean” maybe would have benefited from some qualifications.
So are these stories a surprise to you? Do they give you a better idea of where removing access to abortion can lead?

(BTW, I knew scifisam was referring to the terrible case of of Savita Halappanavar. Guess you haven't been paying attention -- it was a huge story and had a large impact on abortion rights in Ireland.)

Ah, right.

“Like in Ireland, you mean” maybe would have benefited from some qualifications.

No, it means you don't actually know what you're talking about. This was not exactly a minor news story hidden on the back pages of local papers. And yet, when I mentioned Ireland, you thought you knew what the law there was, and didn't even check if you were right.

And then you completely ignored the rest of the post - that's quite a big thing to ignore.

But you still have your "opinion." That's all that matters.

No, it means you don't actually know what you're talking about. This was not exactly a minor news story hidden on the back pages of local papers. And yet, when I mentioned Ireland, you thought you knew what the law there was, and didn't even check if you were right.

But you still have your "opinion," I guess.

I looked at the Irish equivalent of the NHS.

When people generally talk about what is happening they are talking about somewhere you can go on a plane.

Not a fucking DeLorean.

But you do you.

Last edited:
I looked at the Irish equivalent of the NHS.

When people generally talk about what is happening they are talking about somewhere you can go on a plane.

Not a fucking DeLorean.

But you do you.

It was not the kind of trivial personal - and decades-old - story you'd need a Delorean to go and find out. You're older than me, mate.

Men can have opinions on abortion - they sort of have to when it comes to laws. And abortion can affect men secondhand, and they can be sad about the path their partner chose (although it definitely easier for men and any non-birthing partners to walk away). But forcing other women to continue their pregnancies isn't the solution to a previous pregnancy being aborted, and certainly won't help any future women or the children they are forced to birth.

Men can have opinions on abortion..

Think this might be the most contentious point on the thread so far.. ;)

But anyhoo, I’m totally against forced birth. The whole contention seems to have arisen from me asking about the connection between one particular doctor and the student walkout. That and the horrifying idea of States deciding to do things like deny treatment for ectopics, which is really horrifying (not saying it has no precedents anywhere - just that it is horrifying and not something I had seen as a point of discussion by any party).

I understand things being a little raw with the way things seem to be moving right now, but I wasn’t taking the piss when I asked about it.

I only became aware of him recently. His public pronouncements are breathtaking in their offensiveness. I couldn’t believe what I was watching 😠
He's a smirking preppy punchable swell and dangerous with it.

This new wave of Republican far right don't hold back and don't apologise for being who they are.

See also, Ron DeSantis, Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Green.

Yeah, I’m aware of some cases where the confusion has led to some tragic cases. :(

Any confusion obv needs sorting post haste.
I don’t personally think the “no exceptions anywhere” laws have a chance of coming to pass from what I have read - I don’t think the bulk of medics would ever stand for that. Standing by while someone dies from an ectopic pregnancy would be a career-ending matter on the vast majority of the the planet. Pro-life reasoning can’t justify letting both mother and foetus die when one can be saved.

Been wrong before about how these things can go, though. :(

Don't assume they're acting in good faith. The confusion is intentional. They want doctors to be too afraid to perform abortions of any kind. In the US, you can lose your insurance if there's any kind of arrest or report to the police about your practice. Even if you don't lose your insurnace, you're still subject to questioning from law enforcement and/or have to pay lawyers to clear up any confusion. Its rule by fear and intentionally so. Look at what they tried to do to the doctor who performed an abortion on a 10-year-old. They tried to smear her as condoning child sex abuse and investigated her. Turned out she had done everything correctly, but still went after her. They only stopped when she punched back by filing a defamation suit.

Last edited:

You didn't give any context regarding the link you provided. It seemed to me that they were playing with the definition of abortion and seemed a bit disingenuous on a couple of fronts. For one thing many anti-abortion states are making methotrexate (prescribed for both early abortions and ectopic pregnancies) much harder to get and are banning in outright elsewhere. Even in places where the drug is legal, any clerk in a pharmacy can refuse to give it to you on religious grounds. Some states are attempting to ban even directing someone to a place where an abortion is legal, paying for an abortion, or providing assistance of any kind.

Last edited:
Don't assume they're acting in good faith. The confusion is intentional. They want doctors to be too afraid to perform abortions of any kind. In the US, you can lose your insurance if there's any kind of arrest or report to the police about your practice. Even if you don't lose your insurnace, you're still subject to questioning from law enforcement and/or have to pay lawyers to clear up any confusion. Its rule by fear and intentionally so. Look at what they tried to do to the doctor who performed an abortion on a 10-year-old. They tried to smear her as condoning child sex abuse and investigated her. Turned out she had done everything correctly, but still went after her. They only stopped when she punched back by filing a defamation suit.

:mad:

Thanks for the detail there.

That tactic of creating general confusion that can be leveraged combined with the callous disregard for the damage done is classic Putin’s Playbook.

I do support Putin but that is another subject i have yet to find a topic for. On this one. if women are free to have abortions then men should have the option for financial abortions to not provide economic help

In many ways, losing insurance is harder to fight that imprisonment or trial - some people have called for mass medical 'disobedience' and you can see that it could be quite effective for masses of docs to be hauled up in front of the law and it might show up how appalling the whole thing is, but less public consequences such as the removal of insurance is much less sensational :(

... and classic Trump playbook.

Get what you mean but it seemed to me that Trump created confusion by telling loads of lies, mostly out of ego.

The “strategic ambiguity” tactic of these senior Republicans feels more pre-planned, and with darker intent than the bigly bluster of a clown.

Maybe that’s me not wanting to credit Trump with too much intelligence tbf.

I'm new to the boards, so I thought I'd introduce myself gently with my dim views on trans rights and abortion. Bold.
This is just a internet forum. I talk about subjects that interest me. if people want to talk, its all good. If they choose to be insulting i ignore them. I am just happy to be around the intellectual elite of urban. To bask in your greatness

This is just a internet forum. I talk about subjects that interest me. if people want to talk, its all good. If they choose to be insulting i ignore them. I am just happy to be around the intellectual elite of urban. To bask in your greatness
That bit at the end suggests returner. Otherwise you've not been here long enough to feel the need. But anyway, you crack on.

Back
Top Bottom