Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

saw the report last night on this , these people so pro life they are willing to mow people down with trucks

mvdh1db6or791.png

Last edited:
Unusually for when misogynistic shit happens, I'm not seeing much (public) discussion amongst my women friends. It's as if everyone is kinda speechless, struck dumb, by this.

Some things need a little time to process, I suppose.

Last edited:
Not for you to police people's language.

And I'm sure the protesters are already fucking angry. Among other things.
They're fracturing the movement and losing support with their bizarre misuse of language. They're policing the language of people who say 'pro-choice'.

because its been pro choice for about 40 years or so

people were confused by it suddenly becoming Pro abortion

its not like being anti or Pro the medical procedure

but saying pro abortion is utalised by the pro life brigade as a weapon

against the rest of the population with half a clue about the realities as pro choice

It's true there are extremists here who take their cue from what happens in America. I believe and hope that they won't get much traction or support here.

Religion is the rallying point of the anti abortionists in America. The churches and republicans are so tied together. Here through, religion is less a feature of public life. I think a politician or political candidate being very vocal about their religion would put voters off here. The exact opposite of America. I hope it stays that way here
The societal cancer that is American (and American style) evangelism has been here for years and is spreading.
I find the talking about the US as if it were the whole world annoying as well.
This is a thread about the us...

Why are you calling it pro-abortion?
I'm not. The protesters are. This ought to be apparent to all in this thread. E.g. rhe much discussed incident where the pickup drove at protesters was at a pro-abortion protest, not a pro-choice protest. The twitter streams from the protesters are full of arguments about the choice of words. Why am I the only one who's noticed? Has everyone forgotten how to read?

It's more important than ever that women have access to effective contraception, and are properly educated about how to use it.

Here's a detailed Washington Post article about the medical side of those abortions archive.ph Very instructive, especially for those men who think of an abortion as a casual thing which can be an easy method of birth control.

Reactions: izz
I'm not. The protesters are. This ought to be apparent to all in this thread. E.g. rhe much discussed incident where the pickup drove at protesters was at a pro-abortion protest, not a pro-choice protest. The twitter streams from the protesters are full of arguments about the choice of words. Why am I the only one who's noticed? Has everyone forgotten how to read?

I don't read twitter, you need to explain your context better to people who don't share it/ not in your head.

This is a great provocative thread from 2018 from a Mormon mother of six arguing that the problem of abortion could be solved without recourse to legislation, because abortion isn't the real problem... And no, she's not arguing for female chastity either. ;)
I guess her Swiftian suggestions never gained the traction they deserved.

You don't need to go to twitter to read this, which has pro-abortion in big letters Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law But if you want to be well informed you really do need to go to twitter. It takes seconds to open an account

I don't need to be told what to read and how to inform myself, I'm a grown-up adult woman, I make my own decisions and trust my own judgement.

I did see that picture and didn't notice it said pro-abortion because that style of communication encourages poor attention.

The societal cancer that is American (and American style) evangelism has been here for years and is spreading.

This is a thread about the us...

Evangelical Christianity and indeed Roman Catholicism, which in reality has been more central to the anti-abortion campaign than evangelical groups, are in decline here and in decline in the United States. We should fight for the rights of ourselves and others rather than indulging in apocalyptic despair.

Are you implying that these women brought it upon themselves by saying they were "Pro-abortion" rather than "Pro-choice"?

Evangelical Christianity and indeed Roman Catholicism, which in reality has been more central to the anti-abortion campaign than evangelical groups, are in decline here and in decline in the United States. We should fight for the rights of ourselves and others rather than indulging in apocalyptic despair.
I'm not indulging in despair. US style evangelism is here and it is spreading. These types don't need to be in a majority, just a suitably powerful or well-placed minority to effect their desired changes. You only need to look at what's going on in the US to see that and no amount of complacency about religion's decline is going to alter that.

People who think these sort of assaults on women's bodily liberty and integrity are just some far away thing happening in the US are wrong. Abortion was almost totally prohibited in Northern Ireland until 2019 (including in cases of rape and incest). The European Court of Human Rights has consistently declined to find a right to an abortion, instead affording states a 'wide margin of appreciation' on the issue (this is basically the same as the US Supreme Court saying it's up to US States to decide). In 2020 judges in Poland's top court - largely appointed by the rightwing nationalist government - struck down a law permitting abortions in a narrow range of circumstances - in effect prohibiting virtually all abortions in the process. The Orban regime in Hungary have been pushing an anti-abortion agenda for many years now, and may now feel emboldened by developments in the US and Poland.

I'm quite confident that - in the short term at least - the European Court will start applying stricter standards in its assessment of Member States about their abortion laws - I predict Poland's approach will be found unlawful. In the longer run I'm worried however about whether the Court will survive the current rightwing populist rebellion against rights. Russia is already out and the Johnson regime is in the process of ripping up the Human Rights Act and some senior government officials are threatening to leave the Convention altogether. The Putin Model and the Johnson Model could well encourage other rightwing nationalists wanting to trash human rights, and especially the rights of women, minorities and the poor.

I don't need to be told what to read and how to inform myself, I'm a grown-up adult woman, I make my own decisions and trust my own judgement.

I did see that picture and didn't notice it said pro-abortion because that style of communication encourages poor attention.
So you're letting the press process the news for you. That's not making your own decisions or trusting your judgement.

If you use Twitter shrewdly you can go to journalists' sources, read their unedited words and find things out hours or days before they get into the papers, that's if they do at all.

It does take longer, and perhaps you don't have enough time to spare. I do it partly because I don't trust papers to give me the full picture. I used to write for some of them, and the compromises they make are very dispiriting.

Back
Top Bottom