Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

It normalises removing women's bodily autonomy. So sure, things have improved in some places. But that this can happen in the US after 50 years of being legal makes clear it can happen anywhere and will surely embolden abortion's opponents in other countries.

Deleted tweet from Blackpool South's vermin MP:

I was thinking it couldn't happen here, but that's not a safe assumption to make.

Deleted tweet from Blackpool South's vermin MP:

I was thinking it couldn't happen here, but that's not a safe assumption to make.

I'm sure there are plenty of individuals who are anti-abortion, the question is whether they represent a cohesive political force, I don't think they do currently.

Also, he deleted it, if he was feeling very emboldened by local or national support for that stance, he wouldn't have done that.

I'm sure there are plenty of individuals who are anti-abortion, the question is whether they represent a cohesive political force, I don't think they do currently.

Also, he deleted it, if he was feeling very emboldened by local or national support for that stance, he wouldn't have done that.
Tories notoriously in touch with the mood of the people

It's true there are extremists here who take their cue from what happens in America. I believe and hope that they won't get much traction or support here.

Religion is the rallying point of the anti abortionists in America. The churches and republicans are so tied together. Here through, religion is less a feature of public life. I think a politician or political candidate being very vocal about their religion would put voters off here. The exact opposite of America. I hope it stays that way here
That depends on how you define "here".

Westminster legalised abortion in Northern Ireland just two years ago. The N. I. Assembly, which contains strong opponents and was unwilling to legislate on the issue, has since done nothing to make access to services within the borders of the entity available so women still have to travel to access them.

Abortion services in Northern Ireland almost nonexistent despite legalisation

I've friends in NYC who've been thinking of leaving the US for a while but looks like this is the straw that broke the camel's back for them. As a gay, mixed-race married couple, they feel like they're likely next in the firing line. (One is originally from S Carolina so his views are no doubt coloured by what he sees on his trips there.) :(

cousin's sent a video of his oldest daughter, 15, with megaphone leading a chant at a demo yesterday in ny. Strange mix of feelings, proud of her of course, happy she's this person, but also WTF sorrow that she has to fight this of all things, something we stupidly thought was a battle won by women generations before she was even born.

cousin's sent a video of his oldest daughter, 15, with megaphone leading a chant at a demo yesterday in ny. Strange mix of feelings, proud of her of course, happy she's this person, but also WTF sorrow that she has to fight this of all things, something we stupidly thought was a battle won by women generations before she was even born.

I think it was under threat for that long in the US though wasn't it? I haven't followed it, but as a background issue I've been aware of, it's always felt precarious.

It seems clear though that we can't take for granted any battles apparently won.

Sorry to pick on this strand so much, but this is a very US-centric view. In large parts of the world, this battle has never been won. In some parts of the world, progress is being made, in others it isn't.

wrt the US, while the immediate consequences of this decision are appalling, I would still say it is too early to say what the long-term consequences will be. Republicans may yet live to regret nailing their banner to this particular mast. And the problem in the US specifically is that the battle was never properly won as long as it depended on this one court decision.

Sorry to pick on this strand so much, but this is a very US-centric view. In large parts of the world, this battle has never been won. In some parts of the world, progress is being made, in others it isn't.

wrt the US, while the immediate consequences of this decision are appalling, I would still say it is too early to say what the long-term consequences will be. Republicans may yet live to regret nailing their banner to this particular mast. And the problem in the US specifically is that the battle was never properly won as long as it depended on this one court decision.
Well apart from a whole load of women being forced into pregnancies they don't want and a whole load of unwanted children being born. And potentially a whole load of women dying/being physically impaired as a result of backstreet abortions. FFS. :rolleyes:

And yes, we all get your point that women's rights, including those to abortion, are terrible in many countries. But we're allowed to be fucking angry that in the US, things are going backwards. This whole 'yes, but, other countries' stuff you keep coming out with is really annoying tbh.

I mean why would you I suppose. But there's quite a few MSPs and MPs who are quite vocal about their religious views.

I suppose that if we accept/ acknowledge that eroding reproductive rights isn't really about reproductive rights it's about subjugation of women, that opens up the discussion to include any and all signs of increasing misogynistic attitudes, and any increasing tolerance of that. Whether that's smuggled in under the guise of religion (an easy partnership) or something else (I can't imagine what right now but that doesn't mean it's impossible) kinda doesn't matter.

(The disgraceful policing of the Sarah Everard vigil springs to mind. That and everything around it (Couzen's impunity etc) was clear obvious open evidence of systemic misogyny amongst those tasked with protecting people, include women.)

If it's base misogyny that's the root issue, it will find any available for expression.

Anti-abortion works really well for this cos it pretty much necessitates all the other constraints, starting with contraception and sexual freedom and ending with dress codes and financial shackles.

But look. The "starting point" for this is in fact the root and core issue: the right to decide what happens to the body, and to the emotional material financial life as a result of childbearing. Men will never face this issue. Women always will.

The lunchtime news is reporting an anti-LGBT terrorist incident in Norway today. It really does look like rampant bigotry prejudice and hatred is generally on the rise, probably resulting from the more general lurch to the right, partisan and populist politics etc. Misogyny is, like, the most basic form of identity hatred.

This "it won't happen here" attitude has historically been really problematic. It leads to complacency and allows more determined actors a way in.

It's not (yet?) irresistible. There is pushback and small triumphs (le Pen not winning for e.g).

Unusually for when misogynistic shit happens, I'm not seeing much (public) discussion amongst my women friends. It's as if everyone is kinda speechless, struck dumb, by this.

Well apart from a whole load of women being forced into pregnancies they don't want and a whole load of unwanted children being born. And potentially a whole load of women dying/being physically impaired as a result of backstreet abortions. FFS. :rolleyes:

And yes, we all get your point that women's rights, including those to abortion, are terrible in many countries. But we're allowed to be fucking angry that in the US, things are going backwards. This whole 'yes, but, other countries' stuff you keep coming out with is really annoying tbh.
I find the talking about the US as if it were the whole world annoying as well.

Most people's thoughts here are with the women in America who will be faced with either greater difficulties in getting abortions or information about abortions, or the women in the many states which have banned and are preparing to ban all abortions. The women who yesterday could exercise this choice over their bodies, over their fertility, and today can't. Who may have already had appointments cancelled.

This is a thread about America. If you want to discuss abortion provision everywhere or in other regions or countries there's no reason you can't start another thread. But I'm not sure someone who's worrying about how this might affect republicans in the future has that much worth reading to add to discussions

I suppose that if we accept/ acknowledge that eroding reproductive rights isn't really about reproductive rights it's about subjugation of women, that opens up the discussion to include any and all signs of increasing misogynistic attitudes, and any increasing tolerance of that. Whether that's smuggled in under the guise of religion (an easy partnership) or something else (I can't imagine what right now but that doesn't mean it's impossible) kinda doesn't matter.

If it's base misogyny that's the root issue, it will find any available for expression.

I think this is the issue and it's that we need to be aware of, not so much as to whether we can be sure that will organise around exactly the same issues in different social contexts.

It might also be important for our sense of our own political power to note differences.

Back
Top Bottom