Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

Every time I think about this, all I can think about is how my life would have been over if my last ex knew I didn't have the option to abort a pregnancy. Everything I worked so hard for just gone.

It's a long way off having to fight this in the UK but it's coming. I can see the wedge issues and warning signs. Not going to point to them on this thread else we'll be off on some serious tangents, but they're definitely there in the UK

Every time I think about this, all I can think about is how my life would have been over if my last ex knew I didn't have the option to abort a pregnancy. Everything I worked so hard for just gone.

It's a long way off having to fight this in the UK but it's coming. I can see the wedge issues and warning signs. Not going to point to them on this thread else we'll be off on some serious tangents, but they're definitely there in the UK

(((muscovyduck )))

A lot of pro-abortion protests today. The protesters get angry if you say you pro-choice sounds better, or is better. This makes my head hurt. Like when Bush declared a war on terror.

I am viscerally angry and haven't calmed down yet. If I see one more fat-headed man whooping in "celebration" I might actually do some damage. I can only imagine they're celebrating because they think they've prevented abortion, the thick fucks.

story mentioned a fertility problem coming to light. Shame they can't have IVF clinics anymore because of course you can't create embryos on demand if you deem each one to be a human being with rights, can you? You'd never be able to throw them away. What's that? It's not about the embryos after all? No, thought not.

Sorry. Still angry.

Alabama has apparently made life imprisonment the max sentence for anyone providing abortions to women now.

In the twitter replies to this story someone says 'Americans now have real choice- live where the state reflects your values, let others live in states that best foster their worldview'.

Regardless of the fact that people can't just move, unless they have money etc, that seems prescient, the whole idea of it as a country looks shaky as hell doesn't it.

And of course, some Republican shits are very outspoken against violent protests (this time, oddly) :mad:

Violence is not consitutionally protected. Except the exact same supreme court has just decided yet again that it is, and that people must be allowed to carry concealed weapons for no fucking reason at any time.

I don't think anyone could have foreseen that the pussy-grabber would have the chance to appoint 3 judges.
3pbb7ucjdl791.jpg

slight out of context seeming as i reading the thread from 6 pages ago :facepalm:

I'm worried. America sneezes and the UK catches a cold. And the people who would vote for this are already here and will be feeling emboldened and enabled by this news. For example these cunts that have been picketing women at an abortion clinic in Glasgow

The same thing has been happening in Edinburgh

There are elected representatives who agree with them. Both in the Scottish and UK parliaments. For example this very recent vote didn't exactly pass by a comforting landslide

This isn't some far away thing that doesn't affect women here. We're not 'safe'. Don't get complacent.

Who's us?

I find it hard to believe that this won't have implications outside the US.
Where, though, and how? Across Catholic Latin America, the situation is grim in most countries but has recently changed drastically in a few. Across the Muslim world, the situation is mostly very grim, as it is in most of Muslim/Christian sub-Saharan Africa.

I think there is a danger of it being drastically overstated how this ruling will affect any of these places either way. For example, The Guardian is currently running this editorial line (not saying you're saying anything like this):

The end of the right to abortion in the United States will have devastating consequences around the world. A half century ago, the Supreme Court's landmark Roe v Wade decision inspired a new era of reproductive freedom in dozens of countries.

This is ahistorical nonsense. RvW was part of a process by which many countries legalised abortion in the 60s and 70s - some before RvW and some after. It wasn't the inspiration for this process.

One of the things we can be sure of is that this will engender further efforts to ban abortion across all 50 states. The anti-abortion lobby will be strengthened and emboldened by this, and they've seen and proved that concerted effort over decades can and does work for them.

Will other places take inspiration from this? Are they in fact acting as missionaries to influence thinking elsewhere, via forums, social media etc?

LBJ you're really certain that it won't cause tidal shifts elsewhere. I really hope you're right. And I can't define or determine with any exactitude what's driving my doubts about your position. I wish I could share your certainty/optimism.

But who of us guessed we'd be considering nuclear attacks right now etc. Things change and the most unexpected changes happen unexpectedly, in unexpected ways.
(I know that sounds like editorial nonsense but as I say, I can't put my finger on what facts extra to recent events are driving my fears.)

Re: your comments about the Muslim world. It's obviously true that American fundamentalists have much in common with religious fundamentalists from other cultures. Islamists are actively continuing to impose sharia law and the resulting subjugation of women, that's not gone away.

What if there comes some kind of tipping point when women's reproductive rights are under attack so widely that it becomes a tidal shift?

And I wonder if there's a difference between men and women here, with men saying "never gonna happen" and women saying "I think this really could happen".

Where, though, and how? Across Catholic Latin America, the situation is grim in most countries but has recently changed drastically in a few. Across the Muslim world, the situation is mostly very grim, as it is in most of Muslim/Christian sub-Saharan Africa.

I think there is a danger of it being drastically overstated how this ruling will affect any of these places either way. For example, The Guardian is currently running this editorial line (not saying you're saying anything like this):
It normalises removing women's bodily autonomy. So sure, things have improved in some places. But that this can happen in the US after 50 years of being legal makes clear it can happen anywhere and will surely embolden abortion's opponents in other countries.

Re: your comments about the Muslim world. It's obviously true that American fundamentalists have much in common with religious fundamentalists from other cultures. Islamists are actively continuing to impose sharia law and the resulting subjugation of women, that's not gone away.

What if there comes some kind of tipping point when women's reproductive rights are under attack so widely that it becomes a tidal shift?

And I wonder if there's a difference between men and women here, with men saying "never gonna happen" and women saying "I think this really could happen".
I think there may be. Because it's women who'd be forced into being pregnant and having children they didn't want. It's women who've just been told they're don't have the right to decide what happens to their bodies in the richest and most powerful country in the world. I can't articulate how incandescently angry I feel right now.

I'm worried. America sneezes and the UK catches a cold. And the people who would vote for this are already here and will be feeling emboldened and enabled by this news. For example these cunts that have been picketing women at an abortion clinic in Glasgow

The same thing has been happening in Edinburgh

There are elected representatives who agree with them. Both in the Scottish and UK parliaments. For example this very recent vote didn't exactly pass by a comforting landslide

This isn't some far away thing that doesn't affect women here. We're not 'safe'. Don't get complacent.

It's true there are extremists here who take their cue from what happens in America. I believe and hope that they won't get much traction or support here.

Religion is the rallying point of the anti abortionists in America. The churches and republicans are so tied together. Here through, religion is less a feature of public life. I think a politician or political candidate being very vocal about their religion would put voters off here. The exact opposite of America. I hope it stays that way here

It's true there are extremists here who take their cue from what happens in America. I believe and hope that they won't get much traction or support here.

Religion is the rallying point of the anti abortionists in America. The churches and republicans are so tied together. Here through, religion is less a feature of public life. I think a politician or political candidate being very vocal about their religion would put voters off here. The exact opposite of America. I hope it stays that way here
Not in Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom