Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

I know that there are still attitudes out there that women shouldn't control their own finances. When I went to buy a house, I found that I was quoted interest rates far above the going rate. One loan officer I contacted, quoted me one interest rate, and then when I showed up for an appointment to pre-qualify, asked where my husband was. The loan rate he then quoted me was several points higher. One loan officer was just generally dismissive, rude, and patronizing. I was able to get a loan eventually, but I had to do some serious shopping around. I found similar issues with getting homeowner's insurance.

Yeah, until 1975 a woman had to have a male guarantor in order to get a credit card or loan, so hire purchase of a TV for example.
Don't know about HP and so on, but for credit cards it was specifically her husband's permission.

I'll bet there were exceptions for wealthy unmarried women, though.

What in particular is a bit dark?

(aside from the whole subject matter obv)

I mean setting up counter arguments within the subject matter which may look like you’re in opposition even if you’re just curious about pedantic points. I’m not trying to police you, it’s not the subject for pedantic trivialities though iyswim? I actually feel sick.

I mean setting up counter arguments within the subject matter which may look like you’re in opposition even if you’re just curious about pedantic points. I’m not trying to police you, it’s not the subject for pedantic trivialities though iyswim? I actually feel sick.

The issue of declining fertility generally is something of a tangent from the main subject, and nothing to do with the agenda of the Republican right.

Though I do see where it can intersect with things.

The issue of declining fertility generally is something of a tangent from the main subject, and nothing to do with the agenda of the Republican right.

We’re talking about the beginning of women in western liberal democracy being stripped of reproductive rights.
So it’s a political discussion not one about what you think it’s about.

We’re talking about the beginning of women in western liberal democracy being stripped of reproductive rights.
So it’s a political discussion not one about what you think it’s about.
In a western liberal democracy.

Just for balance, there has been good progress recently in other parts of the world - South America, for instance. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Colombia have all seen massive changes within the last decade from awful laws to something, if not ideal, way better. There are lots of countries in South America where abortion is still totally illegal, and there are examples from Europe of things going the other way, such as Poland, but for Europe, that's an outlier. Overall, if you do a count of how reproductive rights for women have gone up or down in the last decade around the world, more countries have gone up than down.

I wouldn't extrapolate from what is happening in the US right now to a general trend across the world.

It only became tangential when you started looking * for factual verification of one aspect of what I was saying.

And here we are on another tangent.
Just maybe once in a while let a line of argument develop before pulling up every point.

eta
*correction…. Again in anticipation of being pulled up on this….
I agree you didn’t ask for factual verification.
I’m trying not to get pulled into another cul de sac. It’s irrelevant to the present discussion.

How do you feel about the news?
Not an opinion you have. How do you feel about it?

In terms of the thread subject?
Mostly sad and a little angry.
Probably would have been more anger if I hadn’t seen it coming. The anger has run down a bit over the previous months.

I wouldn't extrapolate from what is happening in the US right now to a general trend across the world.

That said, when a very rich potential trading partner (that presents itself as something of a moral paragon) does something like this, I wonder what effect it might have on the trend of changes in other places.

Just for balance, there has been good progress recently in other parts of the world - South America, for instance. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Colombia have all seen massive changes within the last decade from awful laws to something, if not ideal, way better. There are lots of countries in South America where abortion is still totally illegal, and there are examples from Europe of things going the other way, such as Poland, but for Europe, that's an outlier. Overall, if you do a count of how reproductive rights for women have gone up or down in the last decade around the world, more countries have gone up than down.

Fair point, I shouldn’t have framed it like that. But it happening in the US does feel like a bigger thing than it happening, we’ll pretty much anywhere else. Because it’s a superpower with far reaching cultural hegemony.

They (American foreign policy) may attempt to influence other nations?

It’s ideology, which is different to market forces.

It’s currently massively unlikely but as I said, it feels like we’re off the edge of the map

That said, when a very rich potential trading partner (that presents itself as something of a moral paragon) does something like this, I wonder what effect it might have on the trend.
My guess: not much. Half of the US will continue to have reproductive rights that are much the same as they were yesterday. This issue, along with others, will tear the US apart, but I don't see it having much of an affect on anywhere else.

My guess: not much. Half of the US will continue to have reproductive rights that are much the same as they were yesterday. This issue, along with others, will tear the US apart, but I don't see it having much of an affect on anywhere else.

Guess we’ll have to see. Maybe you’re right. I can’t see it helping any US moral authority when it comes to dealing with theocracies. But how much that matters might depend on what happens to come up.

How, and why, and who?

American foreign policy is currently run by someone who supports abortion rights.

I think I’m saying essentially that same as 8Ball and Magnus just said

I just feel incredibly gloomy and worried about this and if I follow one (or maybe several) of the trajectories that may have been triggered today, that’s the outcome I can imagine.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Worry for family and friends over there. My cousin has been talking for years about getting out, but it's just talk.

Make no mistake, what happens in the US ripples out & the far right in other countries take note. Be it on guns, anti-LGBT laws, or reproductive rights.

It feels that we're living in perilous times. Of course, there's plenty of regions of this planet that have always lived in perilous times...

It’s currently massively unlikely but as I said, it feels like we’re off the edge of the map

I get what you mean there. It feels like we slipped out of a world that our traditional understanding was fit for somewhere between 2010 and Trump being elected.

Having spent significant time in parts of the US that are largely populated by people who support far right polices such as this, it feels dangerous on a fundamental level.

(That’s fundamental with a small f)

Last edited:
How, and why, and who?

American foreign policy is currently run by someone who supports abortion rights.

This bit of what I said

“It’s ideology, which is different to market forces”

is the bit that worries me. Because right wing ideology seems to be quite prepared to grind the opposition into dust

Fair point, I shouldn’t have framed it like that. But it happening in the US does feel like a bigger thing than it happening, we’ll pretty much anywhere else. Because it’s a superpower with far reaching cultural hegemony.
It does, but we should remember we're not the US. And also that 'the US' isn't this either, or at least not only this - it's an issue that tears the country into pieces.

I think it is maybe a bit of an antidote to the gloomy idea that this might spread to look the progress being made elsewhere. Do you think Argentinians or Uruguayans care what is happening in the US? If anything they define themselves by being not the US.

Worry for family and friends over there. My cousin has been talking for years about getting out, but it's just talk.

Make no mistake, what happens in the US ripples out & the far right in other countries take note. Be it on guns, anti-LGBT laws, or reproductive rights.

It feels that we're living in perilous times. Of course, there's plenty of regions of this planet that have always lived in perilous times...

I‘ve baulked at contacting anyone. I don’t even know what to say,

Back
Top Bottom