Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

I certainly had always been under the impression it was a lot more secure than it turned out to be.
Especially would never have expected something like this with the Dems in power.
People in the US have warned that this could happen for decades. It's a big reason why some were urging Ruth Bader Ginsberg to retire while Obama was in office. It was never secure. But equally there was never quite the imperative for immediate action.

It was never secure. But equally there was never quite the imperative for immediate action.

Yeah, I've never been that well up on things like the SCoTUS but it always seemed like a "they'll never pull that one off" kind of thing until unnerving rumblings once Trump got in.

Isn't part of the point that relying solely on Roe vs Wade meant the battle for abortion rights was never properly won? Various Democrat legislations have had the chance to put legislation in place - Obama had the majorities to do so in his first term, for instance - but didn't do it. It's always been vulnerable to this.
Roe was a very weak ruling but i'd argue the fetishization of the Supreme Court by American liberals ever since the Warren Court is a bigger contributor. An almost religious confidence in its role as protector of rights and a refusal to restrict its power or even deal with it strategically (RBG should have retired during the Obama administration when she knew she had cancer). Meanwhile the right understood the power the court has and made it central to their grand strategy for half a century.

posted without comment

50r7cx5s2l791.jpg

How did we lose this?
US democracy is fucked and allows minority rule. Trump was millions of votes short of a majority, but the electoral college system gave him power. The senate gives equal representation to rural states with small populations as to big highly urbanised ones, so despite an overall percentage democratic majority it counts for shit. One person one vote would never let these swivel-eyed fucks near power, instead they totally know how to game it to their advantage. That and all the cash billionaires shove at right-wing campaigns that protect their privilege, playing culture war games to keep people away from fighting for worker rights etc.

US democracy is fucked and allows minority rule.

The ‘minority rule’ thing is something that can happen with a lot of so-called democratic systems in existence right now, but things seem to have gone most badly wrong in terms of abandoning the idea of a good faith negotiation hopefully leading to a situation where everyone gets maybe 60% of what they want.

It’s degenerating into a bitter fight to ensure the other side gets nothing, including things the ‘winning’ side doesn’t even want for themselves. It’s spite-based politics.

Last edited:
We have minority rule in the UK. But they seem happy to throw some sardines at various groups to make them look like it isn’t minority rule.

Majority rule can be as bad if you don’t respect minority rights. I don’t think any of this would be right if, say, 55% of Americans agreed with it.

Majority rule can be as bad if you don’t respect minority rights. I don’t think any of this would be right if, say, 55% of Americans agreed with it.

I don’t even think that’s particularly sensible. I’m guessing the majority of Nazis wanted Jews to die. So, errr

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom