Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

A very big IF. Can you show any real-world examples of huge religious blocs that genuinely respect the rights of those who don't share their beliefs?

Yes, it’s a fair point. I was being hypothetical and struggling to think of examples when I posted it. :D

I suspect there are some examples
and we’re both running into availability bias, but the point still holds hypothetically.

It’s degenerating into a bitter fight to ensure the other side gets nothing, including things the ‘winning’ side doesn’t want for themselves. It’s spite-based politics.
I saw some Twitter type describe it today as in recent times the democrats having treated politics like a game of chess, but the Republicans have treated it like a war.

Anyhow, the Supreme Court now seems to be the equivalent of the conservative clerics in Iran which stifle liberty and progress because God. Tyrannical bullshit.

Was reading earlier about general approval and respect for the Supreme Court having been on the wane for some time.
Hard to see this feeding into any change in behaviour in the short term, though.

What about an atheist person. Do they always support secularism was my point.
Well an atheist is unlikely to support a religious state.

I guess it would depend on how you define secular, or what kind of secularism you want. Is a state that outlaws religious belief secular? That's a bit of semantic argument I would say, and not particularly relevant if your version of secularism doesn't do that.

And here again, you can be aggressively atheist in that you think religious beliefs are not only wrong but also destructive and a bad thing, and still support the idea of a secular state that allows (stronger: guarantees) freedom of religion.

So there has to be a level of religious acceptance for it to be a belief.

I’m just talking about secularism in the sense of religion being separate from Governmental power, and Governmental power not interfering in religious matters beyond ensuring the right to religious freedom.

I think that’s a political principle rather than a religious belief.

There are some forms of secularism that vary from this a bit, though, such as in France. Or as in the hypocritical “pretend secularism” that is intensifying in the US right now.

Maybe a lot of people couldn't imagine that he'd be elected and have the chance to leave such a lasting legacy. I still find it hard to believe, even though it happened.

Maybe a lot of people couldn't imagine that he'd be elected and have the chance to leave such a lasting legacy. I still find it hard to believe, even though it happened.
Republicans prepared for it, though. It hasn't happened by chance because Trump stumbled into the White House. The concerted effort to fill the courts with fascists conservatives has been going on for decades and is reaping its rewards now. The Republicans know that democracy is against them, so they cultivate undemocratic means to achieve their aims.

Back
Top Bottom