Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

I mean you either think women should decide these things for themselves or you don't. What's in between?

Different places have quite varying rules on abortion that can get quite detailed. What proportion of the USA has abortion that is outlawed in all circumstances and what proportion will facilitate abortion at any point in the term under any circumstance?

And are you saying that cases where the rules are stricter are clear cases of all women in that jurisdiction having less of a say?

As alluded to by posts a couple pages back, it's not just about controlling women, it's about creating an underclass of unwanted children, who are going to be good sources of both cheap labour in the work force and a large amount of invisible labour in the households they end up in.
I think it's wider than that. Alito's legal justification for this is that any legal right not covered in the original US constitution cannot be upheld. So abortion is the start. They are coming for gay marriage, they are coming for all legislation protecting against discrimination. They are coming for the right to public education.

These people are violent extremists, and they are very clear in what they want to achieve. A country where power rests with the people who got to be the Founding Fathers, and everyone else should remember their rightful place.

As alluded to by posts a couple pages back, it's not just about controlling women, it's about creating an underclass of unwanted children, who are going to be good sources of both cheap labour in the work force and a large amount of invisible labour in the households they end up in.

In the case of catholic church, we don't have to think too hard about the reasons why they might want to increase the supply of neglected children.

I think it's wider than that. Alito's legal justification for this is that any legal right not covered in the original US constitution cannot be upheld. So abortion is the start. They are coming for gay marriage, they are coming for all legislation protecting against discrimination. They are coming for the right to public education.

These people are violent extremists, and they are very clear in what they want to achieve. A country where power rests with the people who got to be the Founding Fathers, and everyone else should remember their rightful place.

It’s striking how similar the legal reasoning in the leaked judgement is to a 1986 SCOTUS decision upholding the constitutionality of an ‘anti-sodomy law’. The view that ‘if a specific right hasn’t been legally recognised for hundreds of years then it’s not protected by the constitution’ does have all the implications you suggest and more.

Is there a more blatant example of gaslighting?

This guy’s wife is a fascist who supported the January 6 insurrection and he has ruled in cases where she has submitted evidence or had a material interest (all his decisions surprisingly have coincided with her interests):

These originalists are of course very selective when it comes to when they apply their originalism. Unless they can point to where corporations are mentioned in the constitution

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 310 (2010), was a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of the United States concerning the relationship between campaign finance and free speech. It was argued in 2009 and decided in 2010. The court held that the free speech clause of the First Amendment prohibits the government from restricting independent expenditures for political campaigns by corporations, including nonprofit corporations, labor unions, and other associations.

I’m talking about the five ultra-conservative justices who signed the ruling. The dripping sarcasm and callousness of the ruling does suggest sadism to me, I wasn’t being facetious. And their voting history strongly suggests they don’t give a fuck about the weakest in society.

I
Is there a more blatant example of gaslighting?

This guy’s wife is a fascist who supported the January 6 insurrection and he has ruled in cases where she has submitted evidence or had a material interest (all his decisions surprisingly have coincided with her interests):

There's a lot of people who think she's the one who leaked the draft of the decision. I wouldn't be surprised given her previous actions.

Last edited:
There is of course an issue other than the SC decision.

Those states that have 'trigger laws' in place, have them in place because that is the wish of the people who elected the legislators.

You vote (usually) for the person or party whose views chime most closely with yours, so the 'trigger legislation' is the wish of the majority of the electorate.

Given the ethnic make up of the states with the most vicious legislation, then it seems that those who are going to be most disadvantaged by the legislation; it was pointed out upthread that the rich will have no problems getting an abortion, not matter which state they live in; are either not voting, or voting for the party that is going to deny them safe abortion.

I appreciate that it is not quite that simple, gerrymandering and voter suppression do come into play, but maybe people need to actually vote, and use social media to raise the abortion issue. IIRC elections are imminent in the US.

Things getting a bit heated in Wisconsin:

Leading to the usual tedious liberal conspiracist dicks rushing to proclaim it a false flag on the basis of having nice handwriting, and an entertainingly shit Daily Fail write-up:

The Antifa symbol - a capital 'A' inside a circle - was also scrawled on the wall, as well as the numbers 1312 - a code for the letters ACAB, which stand for 'All Cops Are Bastards'

Julaine Appling, president of the lobbying and advocacy organization, told the Wisconsin State Journal that a window was broken, books were burned, and there was graffiti on the walls, but the full extent of the damage is not yet known.

The organization lobbies against abortion rights and gay marriage, according to their website.

Appling told News 3 Now she does not know who would do this, but said the suspect 'left their signature' with graffiti that depicted an Antifa A.
Ah yes, the circle-A, which famously stands for "antifa". The News 3 article linked to isn't available in a GDPR country, but looking at it through a proxy confirms that there's no mention of "antifa" there, that's purely a Mail invention.

Meanwhile, certain Republicans are really going all-out with the whole "forced pregnancy" thing:
In Tennessee, Sen. Marsha Blackburn has taken issue with legal access to contraception—she called the landmark 1965 Griswold v. Connecticut case that secured that right “legally unsound,” a phrase Americans will be hearing a lot as Republicans chip away at our remaining privacy and reproductive health rights.

Blackburn isn’t alone. Blake Masters, a Republican Arizona senate candidate backed by right-wing tech billionaire Peter Thiel, recently pledged to only vote for judicial nominees who oppose the Supreme Court’s decision in support of legal birth control. Describing himself as “100% pro-life,” Masters drew a red line, vowing to oppose any potential judge who doesn’t “understand Roe and Griswold and Casey were wrongly decided.” In Masters’ world, contraception would exist only at the whim of red state lawmakers.

Republicans’ efforts are even outpacing the Supreme Court, which hasn’t yet delivered its official decision on the future of abortion. That hasn’t stopped Louisiana from amending its anti-abortion legislation to ban the practice from the moment of egg fertilization (it would also ban in vitro fertilization, which has been utilized by thousands of Louisiana families)—an extremist position out of step with both modern medicine and most Americans’ beliefs.

Idaho Republicans are going even further, after state Rep. Brent Crane confirmed he would hold hearings to consider banning IUDs and the contraceptive pill Plan B. In Tennessee, not even your mailbox is safe. A new law signed by Gov. Bill Lee makes it a felony, complete with a $50,000 fine, to receive abortion pills through the mail. So much for small government.

Last edited:
They seem to be the ones who lead the purge: Republican Senators and Governors, Evangelical Christian leaders, Catholic bishops and the like. Or not?

They seem to be the ones who set the tone: Republican Senators, Evangelical Christian leaders, Catholic bishops and the like. Or not?

In the States the picture varies a fair bit by the particular state. Male:female differences in attitudes have reduced a little in recent years afaik, but the general picture is that the majority of people do not take a very polarised stance when it comes to
terms for elective abortion.

You could say everything bad that happens in America is down to elderly men if you were so inclined, I guess.

There are quite a few pro-life women in Congress, but a good few have been put in there to support this.

The recent thing is about rubbing the Dems’ noses in the bit of power that the Republicans have. In 2022, not 1942.

I don't see how explicitly linking the restriction reproductive rights with racism is helpful tbh in terms of explaining what is going on. It ignores the various ways in which the restriction of reproductive rights is used as a political tool, and not just in the US.

It's more useful imho to link it to the promotion of creationism and battle to suppress the teaching of evolution. It is part of a certain kind of conservative's desire to impose their version of Christianity on everyone else. It has a fair bit in common with the Taliban.

I don't see how explicitly linking the restriction reproductive rights with racism is helpful tbh in terms of explaining what is going on. It ignores the various ways in which the restriction of reproductive rights is used as a political tool, and not just in the US.

It's more useful imho to link it to the promotion of creationism and battle to suppress the teaching of evolution. It is part of a certain kind of conservative's desire to impose their version of Christianity on everyone else. It has a fair bit in common with the Taliban.

I think that’s a part of it, and part of it is also about shoring up the support of voters from those groups.

I think that’s a part of it, and part of it is also about shoring up the support of voters from those groups.
Yes, of course. To those for whom this has been a political strategy, its purpose has been to energise a particular base, as has anti-evolution stuff. It's the same base in both cases.

Reactions: Ax^
have republicans being bending over for Christian fundamentalists when did this happen :hmm:

:D

Ok, give me an estimated year of when you were last visiting and I’ll do my best to fill in some gaps. ;)

The power dynamic isn’t simply one-way, the Republicans make sure to say certain things and get to rely on the fundies as a reliable block of votes, since for the last few decades they have increasingly had nowhere else to go.

Plus there’s a lot of funding coming from them.

Last edited:
have republicans being bending over for Christian fundamentalists when did this happen :hmm:

The Republican-fundamentalist alliance isn't quite as old as they're now pretending it is - this piece on the origins of the religious right was an interesting read.

It wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.

Both before and for several years after Roe, evangelicals were overwhelmingly indifferent to the subject, which they considered a “Catholic issue.” In 1968, for instance, a symposium sponsored by the Christian Medical Society and Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, refused to characterize abortion as sinful, citing “individual health, family welfare, and social responsibility” as justifications for ending a pregnancy.

The Republican-fundamentalist alliance isn't quite as old as they're now pretending it is - this piece on the origins of the religious right was an interesting read.

It wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.

Both before and for several years after Roe, evangelicals were overwhelmingly indifferent to the subject, which they considered a “Catholic issue.” In 1968, for instance, a symposium sponsored by the Christian Medical Society and Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, refused to characterize abortion as sinful, citing “individual health, family welfare, and social responsibility” as justifications for ending a pregnancy.

That alliance had arguably been coalescing since the mid-60’s, which has the obvious racial connection (see also Nixon’s “Southern Strategy”), but yeah, cemented in the 70’s.

Last edited:

I think some of what is going is a fear of white replacement. There's fewer white babies being born and more black and brown ones and that scares Republicans. They're afraid of becoming the minority. I don't know why. Its not like being a minority has ever led of bad things for that minority. . . .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom