Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misc steam railway, traction, station and rail-related news

9g1axe6ZZa3qVw1lq7yb5poN04GMT2-metaSU1HXzI0MDMuanBlZw%3D%3D--article.jpg

:eek:

source

that's bizarre !

and it looks like the xing [remote] monitoring didn't work !

I always treat xings as box junctions, so I don't start across unless my exit is clear.

and why didn't the bus driver carry on ?

i don't know the location (purfleet) so hard to tell just what happened. as the exit barrier (for road traffic) usually comes down after the entry barrier, and as bus appears to have got to where it is without being hit by the entry barrier, it does imply that bus driver failed to treat it as a box junction.

possible that something a few vehicles in front of the bus stopped suddenly either to go in to, or let someone out of the station car park on the right, but bus shouldn't have been following things so close that it had to stop on the crossing.

only other possible is some fault with the bus and it stopped in the worst place. think if i'd ended up in that situation, i'd have taken the risk of driving through the exit barrier and causing minor damage rather than staying put.

the one at wokingham station used to be nasty - there was a mini roundabout on the exit from the level crossing, and you couldn't see what traffic was coming until you were on the level crossing. it was a bit alarming in a car (although crossing is / was controlled from the signalbox there) so must have been more alarming doing it with a bus (and yes it is a bus route) - the road layout has now been changed and it's traffic signal controlled, but this is how it was -

1719955957135.png

Last edited:
Spent so much of my commuting time via Farringdon I have a very sort spot in my psyche - they had a station cat , and the old signalling on the Met side was a joy -

If they ever manage to start up "Great British Railways" it should mandate that all stations have station cats.

I agree - but there have been both official and unoffical budget planning for cat welfare. They are useful for obvious reasons - one turned up at St Albans off an inwards - was very comfortable and the staff looked after "Brian" as they named it - one of the passengers was a vet and took it for checking etc - turned out it was a female. Despite the comfort and attention she was returned home to North London as she was chipped ! ........

Hopefully the new intake of MPs who use the trains will now start to push forward with trying to get the shitshow to serve the commuters rather than line the pockets of the private operators.

From the facebooks

IMG_4034.jpeg

The gearing on the Napier Deltic engine. The Deltic is a British engine famous for its complexity and ambitiousness. It is a triangle-shaped, opposed-piston, valveless, supercharged, two-stroke diesel engine with a displacement of 88.2 litres (5,382 cu in). It produced a maximum of 2,500 hp. Development began in the 1940s, and over its career it powered locomotives and naval vessels, including a few German Schnellboots.

probably as good as anywhere else to mention it,

currently on Talking Pictures TV red button / internet is a short 1949 film for the American market on trade and industry in Britain (London and Newcastle) - includes a few chunks of main line and industrial railway, London buses round the city and west end, Newcastle buses, trams and trolleybuses. and docks / shipping.

not sure how long it will be available for.

From today's Reeves announcement to the Commons:

"The government is cancelling the A303 Stonehenge tunnel and the A27 schemes. These are low value, unaffordable commitments which would have cost £587 million next year. The government will also cancel the Restoring Your Railway programme, saving £76 million next year. Individual Restoring Your Railway projects will be able to be reconsidered through the Transport Secretary’s review."

Was that scheme ever going to generate anything other than a new round of feasibility studies / consultants reports?
one or two schemes were making actual progress despite the plethora of consultants & politicians etc

- re-opening the Portishead line is one that would be worthwhile.

and the Northumberland Line [although this one may be coming out of another pot] is not far off done !

It looks like the £2 bus fare cap might get abandoned at the end of the year too.
Have personally found that very useful so that is a shame. But from a government that declared itself the friend of the motorist we should not be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom