Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misc steam railway, traction, station and rail-related news

it's called a wickham trolley (more here) - can't remember the last time i saw one other than at a preserved railway.

it was filmed on the longmoor military railway - the 'real' railway wouldn't let them piss about that much, from what i gather.
Cheers. Interesting to learn about Longmoor as well. There must be at least twenty minutes of the film taking place on rails, which I guess would have taken an unacceptable amount of time to film on live network lines.

I was also impressed by the close-up train chases between different trainsets, and the two schoolgirls being allowed to operate the manual pump wagon thingy. I suspect these days it would have all been CGI’d.

There's a Wickham on the Snaefell Mountain Railway that's used out of "normal operating hours / months" by the team that maintain the ATC equipment at the top of Snaefell. Quite a while ago I saw it on the webcam at Bungalow. Will check with a mate if it's still used.

Yeah, I'm another fan of the LMR appearance in the St T GTR film, it always has me in stitches laughing at their antics.
I would love to see the "call sheet" for those days when the filming was done.
Although I suspect it would have been along the lines of ... "Just do what the director wants, but don't get de-railed or actually hit anything, there's a good chap !"

Seen from my window last week. Luvverly!

steam-loco-brixton-march-2024-1.jpg

Seen from my window last week. Luvverly!

steam-loco-brixton-march-2024-1.jpg

We saw it go through Shepherds Bush, it was fun seeing the surprise on the face of people just waiting for a regular overground service there, a blast of the whistle and there’s a fancy old-fashioned train clattering through. A few families with small kids appeared super excited by it.

0D5FEFB4-7CED-4B8B-94A1-4225E73F0194.jpeg

On Friday 60007 was doing a positioning move, including along the Tyne Valley.
Quite a few people came to watch Sir Nige pass by.
my pictures weren't any good, too much camera shake.

There's renewed talk about building an underwater train tunnel linking Spain and Morocco, due to the 2030 World Cup that will take place in both countries and Portugal. That would be a great thing, though I am not sure if they could have up and running in time for the tournament even if the project was given the green light tomorrow

There's renewed talk about building an underwater train tunnel linking Spain and Morocco, due to the 2030 World Cup that will take place in both countries and Portugal. That would be a great thing, though I am not sure if they could have up and running in time for the tournament even if the project was given the green light tomorrow

The chance of that being operational by 2030 is sheer fantasy!

A fantastic day out at Fawley Hill yesterday, even if the food and drinks were very expensive. At a time when this type of event is in decline, there was a great turn out of vehicles. Was this the last fair if it's kind there? 😪
Some people collect name plates, station signs etc. not McAlpine
IMG_20240518_143617_1.jpgIMG_20240518_150558_1.jpgIMG_20240518_150252_1.jpgIMG_20240518_131346_1.jpg

some gratuitous 'thumper' (southern region 'hampshire' diesel electric unit) action (needs sound on)

video got posted on a bus forum thread that had started about something completely different, drifted in to fare collection systems, and got on to on-train fare collection in the 60s / 70s when it was a relative rarity, and that led on to thumpers...

Yes, have seen the 455 a couple of times but haven't been on it so far.

Back in the late 1980's - LUL brought back in some red 1938 stock on the Northern line and they would randomely appear on my daily commute. Always cheered me up no end. (and they obviously kept them safe from the graffiti vandals too)

Bless. What a star.

That man deserves several pints , and were I in charge of Merseyrail I would ensure he got a days cab riding on that unit with a Traction Inspector !

That BR initiative of the "Merseyrail" brand was just superb .....one Ron Cotton I believe , later asked to shut down the Settle and Carlisle line , but instead used his marketing skills to promote it with considerable success. He died not long ago , and was properly remembered for his work.

Back
Top Bottom