Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misc steam railway, traction, station and rail-related news

editor Mumbles274 Puddy_Tat chainsawjob davesgcr teuchter spitfire
and please tell anyone else that might be interested ...

Please complete this survey to support the Heritage Railways on the Isle of Man [it's only a few minutes of your time - a bit more if you make a longer contribution of your opinion at the end.

There's actually a vocal minority on the Island that want to close all of the lines, some even saying that they don't contribute to attracting the tourists and visitors ...
The final report was published recently ...

[however, it disappeared off the site this morning - 24th January 2024, reason unknown]

But the "recommendations" summary may still be accessible

ORR approves new London-Preston-Stirling service:

Good news for those of us who want to get to and from the north of Scotland. There used to be a direct service from Inverness to Euston via the WCML but it stopped in the 90s; this will partially restore it. A change in Stirling is a lot easier than one in Glasgow that involves walking between the two stations.

Got back quite late yesterday from attending the Heritage Rail Association's Spring Conference in Llandudno.

One of the topics covered was that of level crossing safety, and the devastation that results from those incidents. We heard from railway staff, emergency services and the families left behind.
Very emotional.

Please take care when crossing railways !

A bit miffed with various storms ...
Starting - probably - with Desmond in Dec2015 and the very wet weather in February 2024.
Basically, the Cumbrian Coast Line is shut North of Workington, as the River Derwent & the tides have been attempting to wash the railway viaduct into the Irish Sea ...
Which has cobbled my plans to go to Whitehaven by train ...

Not sure if this should go here or in the ‘cost of UK railway tickets’ thread, but never mind. In one of the streaming services (probably NowTV but not sure) the non-skippable advert segments before each episode have been taken over by GWR and LNER of late. I am sure I remember seeing the latter on main TV terrestrial channels as well. Here are both

I’m all for any efforts to get more people to use the train instead of driving, but way to miss the point… In the former case, concerning regional leisure travel, don’t bloody try to pitch an amazing looking classic convertible car travelling through the English countryside on a gloriously sunny day being inferior to the same journey undertaken by train. Nobody in the world who owns a car is going to be deterred by the laughably improbable mishaps encountered by the car users shown in the ad. And nobody in their right mind who can drive is going to be sold to switch to travelling by train to arrive slightly earlier when the very narrative of the advert is pitching a leisurely car journey through B-roads, where the arrival time is the least of the occupants’ concerns.

As it happens, faster journey times and ease and convenience vs cars are on the other hand the overriding winning factor for the long distance trios advertised by LNER. But incredibly, railway operators seem to operate under the impression that this will be a revelation to the travelling public. The entire fucking world and their dog are already fully aware that in a straight comparison, of course travelling by train to a destination 200 miles away is always going to be so much more pleasurable and faster than driving. The reason most people with access to a car don’t do it is because it’s depressingly often so much cheaper for a family or even a couple to drive themselves. Perhaps LNER should have used their ad campaign to announce ticket price reductions, or even better, employ their marketing budget to drive down fares.

Sorry, rant over.

This is a fascinating development:

1710592655296.png

"What it means for the people here is that we'll be creating a site where the railway industry across the UK and Europe will come here to carry out testing for their innovations in a way that they just can't do anywhere else. We've got 170 companies now from across Europe who've pledged their support for what we're doing and who want to be able to use this place, so that's just going to create jobs and opportunities for people."

He added: "There are some sites elsewhere in the UK and there are some sites in Europe, but none of them do what we are planning to do so we are unique. There is nowhere in the UK where people can do high speed testing of trains on a looped track, and that sounds insignificant but actually being able to just drive continuously round without having to reverse the train every time you do a test is a huge time saving.

"We've got planning consent to operate this place 24 hours a day so if our clients want to run tests for 24 hours they can. There are other loop test sites in Europe but they have really long waiting lists and they're a long way away in places like the Czech Republic or Poland. These are also set up for testing trains and not infrastructure, things like the tracks, the sleepers and the ballasts, the drainage and electrification systems, telecommunications and increasingly the signalling systems. This facility uniquely allows our clients to be able to bring together all of their railwa

Was wondering, as am at Penzance station, where they store the night riviera during the day?

And where is it stored at the London end?

Always seems a bit nuts to me that it's serviced at Reading at the London end - going on for a 100 mile round trip each day.

We watched today The Great St Trinian’s Train Robbery. Whilst very silly, it has some great train action and a variety of 1950s/60s rolling stock on show.

I particularly loved what I can only describe as a wagon the size of a car equipped with an engine, presumably for exclusive use of railway maintenance crews to hop on and travel on the line to wherever they needed to reach. Are such contraptions still in use nowadays?

I particularly loved what I can only describe as a wagon the size of a car equipped with an engine, presumably for exclusive use of railway maintenance crews to hop on and travel on the line to wherever they needed to reach. Are such contraptions still in use nowadays?
I spotted this at Corrour a couple of years ago :cool:

IMG_6547.jpeg

I doubt it gets much use on busier lines though :D

it's called a wickham trolley (more here) - can't remember the last time i saw one other than at a preserved railway.

it was filmed on the longmoor military railway - the 'real' railway wouldn't let them piss about that much, from what i gather.

Back
Top Bottom