Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Minnie's Gardeners' Question Time - help for the new gardeners

Yes, weeds again

one of them isn't!

Well it is, it's milkweed but I planted it (that's the one in the black bucket).

Oh, I'm disappointed. I'm sure I scattered seeds somewhere but I can't remember what I scattered and where I scattered them :facepalm:

I know I did Welsh poppies but can't remember what else :D

Some people reckon water-rooted cuttings get so badly set-back when you plant them and the rather fragile roots break off, that it's always better to root them in compost, but I rate it for fleshy things - I do my brugmanisas that way.
I just rooted some passion flower shoots. I didn't bother with the foil for a couple of weeks and nothing much happened, added the foil and the roots are going mad.
If you want to see really fast rooting in water, add an aquarium air pump and stone.

Yes the parrot ones do seem a bit slow-growing and I've seen some quite sad, leggy ones in offices, so probably best to always have a backup. After all, lots of people grow impatiens in the garden and simply chuck them every year.

Bump

This is what my parrot looks like now (rather leggy) :oops:

Parrot 1.jpg

Parrot 2.JPG

Parrot 3.JPG

Have you any advice about where best to take a cutting from to maximise chances? Really don't want to lose this plant because I love it!

bump! I am soon to be acquiring an actual factual garden squeeeeeeeee Ive gone a bit crazy in poundland with bulbs :oops: and Ive already got tonnes of veg seeds to get going.

Any tips on being a first time garden owner? Ive had a single flower bed where im currently living and done alright with it when Ive put in the effort

Do you know what is presently in the garden?? At least this is the right time of year to see if any bulbs are already there :) I think it is sometimes worth waiting a while to see what comes up if the previous people did garden at all.
My main tip would be get some things that are easy maintenance and ground covering(plus good for birds/bees/insects) but that's coz I've got a big garden :) I and other urbs can probably send you stuff to keep costs down if you like :)

Btw the bulbs in £land are often too little to flower in their first year, but let the foliage sook up the sun and they will hopefully flower the next year.

Why are my houseplants dying?

Is it because I always forget to water them?

I have a christmas cactus which does not seem to mind my erratic watering habits, it is fine.

I have a cheese plant (is it a californian cheese plant, perhaps) it does not like me.

I have a geranium which is not well.

And a couple of other plants one of which is not happy, very de leaved ...

Any tips Minnie ?

Do you know what is presently in the garden?? At least this is the right time of year to see if any bulbs are already there :) I think it is sometimes worth waiting a while to see what comes up if the previous people did garden at all.
My main tip would be get some things that are easy maintenance and ground covering(plus good for birds/bees/insects) but that's coz I've got a big garden :) I and other urbs can probably send you stuff to keep costs down if you like :)

Btw the bulbs in £land are often too little to flower in their first year, but let the foliage sook up the sun and they will hopefully flower the next year.

My dutch irises were bought from 99p shop. (You may remember them as I posted a picture of how floppy they were and I had to stake them up)

I have a christmas cactus which does not seem to mind my erratic watering habits, it is fine.

I have a cheese plant (is it a californian cheese plant, perhaps) it does not like me.

I have a geranium which is not well.

And a couple of other plants one of which is not happy, very de leaved ...

Any tips Minnie ?

Why are you asking me? I know sod all about plants! :D

erm, maybe they need some light, or shade, or water, or less water, or erm.... no idea

Could be lack of water, plus I think you live in London or thereabouts. If you do and you are using tap water straight from the tap I'd suggest your plants don't like the water, which tbh is totally understandable :)
Try pouring some water into a glass and leaving it overnight before using it on the plants.
Can you take photos of the plants at all? In what way is your geranium not well? Discoloured leaves? Could be a mineral deficiency.
Also what kind of heating do you have? Some plants don't like gas central heating iirc.

Could be lack of water, plus I think you live in London or thereabouts. If you do and you are using tap water straight from the tap I'd suggest your plants don't like the water, which tbh is totally understandable :)
Try pouring some water into a glass and leaving it overnight before using it on the plants.
Can you take photos of the plants at all? In what way is your geranium not well? Discoloured leaves? Could be a mineral deficiency.
Also what kind of heating do you have? Some plants don't like gas central heating iirc.

I read somewhere about putting a teabag in your water for something or other, but can't remember why :D

It was a bit tongue in cheek my post, I am sure the main factor in the poor health of my plants is that I keep forgetting to water them. The californian Cheeze plant is in a very sorry state, I am not sure what to do, perhaps I should cut it back to basics and then try again, same is true of the geranium. Can cuttings from geranium root if you plant them? if they do then I could start again with that one.

Ill get some pictures of what is out there tomorrow - I know there is an apple tree, some mini daffs, a few crocuses, holly, and a big tall rose bush. I need a proper look around myself - the garden is a bit bigger than it look as they have used the very back as a bit of a dumping ground. Theres a duck ornament :D and some gnomey things too

My mum has success with geranium cuttings. I could ask her for advice if you like? I have never had them. Limited space for indoor plants.
Callie, you'll need some secateurs for the rose and if you want to prune the holly Lidl do tree loppers every so often. Their garden tools are good ime :)

I've got some secateurs. What looping of roses needs doing? I guess not now or ill chop the good bits off!

Not necessarily with roses. Wait til all the frosts are past though. Cut at an angle a bit above where there is new growth. Take them back as far as you like tbh, they will come back. My roses are ancient. They were here when we got this place so at least 17 yrs old and I cut them back(under waist height) about April and they still grow quite tall(chest to head height)

This on goes up to the second floor so I can lop it out the bedroom window! There's also ?honey suckle, a rhodedendron, a thing that mainly looks like green sticks in shrub form with some yellow Orange flowers coming through already! Two of those things where the flowers go blue in a I'd soil? Dunno their names! I need a book!

This on goes up to the second floor so I can lop it out the bedroom window! There's also ?honey suckle, a rhodedendron, a thing that mainly looks like green sticks in shrub form with some yellow Orange flowers coming through already! Two of those things where the flowers go blue in a I'd soil? Dunno their names! I need a book!
Don't know about the orange flower ones but I suspect the ones with the blue flowers might be Hydrangeas. Post of some photos and I'm sure someone will ID them.

Don't know about the orange flower ones but I suspect the ones with the blue flowers might be Hydrangeas. Post of some photos and I'm sure someone will ID them.
thats the puppy! i did know the name but i always forget it. ill have to remember now. I dont think I like them though :D One might disappear.

right pictures!

the last pic is my now brokenmaybe hoover full of mouse poo :oops: :mad: the first is the green twig bush with yelloworange flowers and a couple (one with my hand) is something climby i reckon, just showing some green - maybe a clematis??

Attachments

• IMAG1552.jpg
    IMAG1552.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1554.jpg
    IMAG1554.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1555.jpg
    IMAG1555.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG1561.jpg
    IMAG1561.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1562.jpg
    IMAG1562.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1563.jpg
    IMAG1563.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1564.jpg
    IMAG1564.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 7
1554 is I think a bay. Is it big? 1555 is a gnome, it won't grow :D Behind it could be ornamental grass or a weed and the broad leave could be a number of things I'm afraid.

I'm not good with climbing plants as it's way too windy here for such things!

I think 1554 is a Portuguese Laurel (it's related to the Bay Tree which geminisnake mentioned but its got longer narrower more glossy leaves). If it is, the newer stems are red but I can't really see from the photo. I "think" it can get to be a bit of monster as it grows rapidly once it's established.

The one you've got in your hand does look a bit like a clematis but I think you'll have to wait a bit longer for the leaves to open out for a proper confirmation. If it's a clematis they come in two basic flavours - early and late flowering. How you prune it depends on when it flowers. I guess you'll have to wait to see when it flowers before you can work out when to prune so I'd just let it get on with things this year.

I agree with geminisnake, 1555 is a gnome! :)

1561 is a broken manhole cover. The plants at the bottom of that picture could be campanula but I can't see the leaves very clearly - it could be a weed (Ivy-leaved toadflax).

With the bay/laurel - if its a laurel will the leaves have a scent like bay? I assumed it was bay cos a crushed leaf had a scent.

I think the manhole cover plant may well be campanula - theres a lot of it covering bits if the garden and it looks familiar and like its meant to be there. I think I know what toadflax looks like (?grown on walls?) and I think its different to that.

I think that the yelloworange might be a kerria/double flowering japanese rose?
WSY0009535_10191.jpg

Im crap at taking close up pictures of plants - theyre never in focus. I will try again a bit later in the month to see if things have progressed. I am going to get some veg seeds going in the lean to today :cool: The garden gets a fair amount of sun so hopefully if we have a bit of it this year Ill have some success :cool: *excited*

I'm struggling with 1552. I think there's a honeysuckle there but the flowers could be from a Japanese Rose - there's a small serrated leaf towards the bottom left of the photo and if it's from the plant with the yellow flowers, I think I'm right.

ETA: I think you've come to the same conclusion! :D

With the bay/laurel - if its a laurel will the leaves have a scent like bay? I assumed it was bay cos a crushed leaf had a scent.

I think the manhole cover plant may well be campanula - theres a lot of it covering bits if the garden and it looks familiar and like its meant to be there. I think I know what toadflax looks like (?grown on walls?) and I think its different to that.

I think that the yelloworange might be a kerria/double flowering japanese rose?
WSY0009535_10191.jpg

Im crap at taking close up pictures of plants - theyre never in focus. I will try again a bit later in the month to see if things have progressed. I am going to get some veg seeds going in the lean to today :cool: The garden gets a fair amount of sun so hopefully if we have a bit of it this year Ill have some success :cool: *excited*

There's a Portuguese laurel in my mum's garden, I'll check out whether its leaves smell like Bay when I visit there at the weekend. (if I remember!)

Yeah, toadflax is the stuff that grows out of walls.

I can prune my very mature cherry tree in the front garden this weekend can't I? Seems about the right time.

It has two branches from the bottom of the branch system rising vertically through the canopy and stretching up three metres above the rest of the tree. They're the only branches with no flowers on and have to come off I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom