Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Minnie's Gardeners' Question Time - help for the new gardeners

The thing about the banana is you're trying to coax it to build up a trunk over several years .. as well as the rootball.

The thing about the banana is you're trying to coax it to build up a trunk over several years .. as well as the rootball.

It doesn't seem very well. The trunk seems to have got thinner and thinner after discovering a load of insects on it last year and stripping trunk and lots of dead leaves this year that I've pulled down. Think I may give up on it to be honest

Leafster and ringo You do both realise how big Hazels get aye?? I have one in my garden and he's about 3mx3m :) Also ime after a while you'll get straight bits. I DO like those purple ones though :hmm: :)

Yes, reckon I'll have to prune it a fair bit, although I don't mind it growing upwards. Its only 40cm high at the moment though, reckon it'll be OK for this winter :D

This yucca has loved being in my West facing porch all summer, so I put the young agave Americana & banana dwarf cavendish in there too.
I think the yucca will be alright in there over winter, it used to live in my sheltered back garden all year round at my old place. Will the other two be alright out there over winter or do I need to bring them indoors?

4y7y7agu.jpg

The Cavendish is very definitely a tropical variety.
I think the rule is no lower than 7 degrees C.

I feel sure the Yucca will be fine.

Yep, the yucca will be warmer here than its been for the previous 5 years so will be alright. It used to be huge but at the start of the summer I put it out on the front step and its so windy there all its leaves fell off and it almost died. Completely recovered once I put it in the porch.

The Cavendish I'll bring into the house this week, ta.

Just looked up the agave americana. According to this site it can go to -8 degrees, can't imagine it'll get colder than that in the porch so I'll leave it for now.

https://www.palmcentre.co.uk/.Agave-americana-Variegata-_AAV.htm

Found some more detailed advice, will bring the agave in this winter as its so young:

Probably the most widely cultivated in the UK of all the Agaves, Agave americana is hardy in much of the country if given a very well-draining substrate and a sunny aspect. When young it should be given extra care, helping it through its first few years by keeping it either in a very protected position or ideally indoors over the winter months until it is of a decent size. When it is large enough it can be either planted into its permanant position or potted on into a terracotta planter. Having a relatively small root structure will allow it to be kept in such a container for many seasons, putting it in a warm sunny position in the summer and giving it more protection in the winter. When planting out to a permanent position care should be taken in chosing the site. To give it as long a growing season as possible before the winter it should be transplanted in mid to late spring or early summer as soon as any danger of a hard frost has passed. Over the growing season it will harden up in readiness for winter. It will need plenty of room as it will eventually grow very large and it should have a very free-draining substrate, with very little soil but plenty of shingle and sand in the mix. It will do well on a slope or a bed that has had its level raised above the surrounding area. Planted out like this it is unlikely to ever need watering other than what it gets from the rain and the drier it can be kept over winter the better.

http://www.tropicalbritain.co.uk/agave-americana.html

My bathroom is usually only a few degrees warmer than outside and I have some baby agaves on the windowsill by a west-facing window.
My geranium will live there through the winter too - and even my brugmansia cuttings were fine there this past winter - though I suspect the winters of 2010 and 2011would have killed them.

I'm off to do some gardening (ie. lifting of bulbs, cutting back etc. and getting rid of stuff that I don't get on with or haven't got the space for).

Does anyone local want my Hakuro Nikishi (Japanese Willow)?

Going to offer it on the Freecycle and Brixton forums as well

Yep - looks like it's going to get properly cold later this week - though hopefully the ground won't get frozen solid for a while yet - so a good time to be sorting out winter homes for all the delicate things.

Back
Top Bottom