Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Minnie's Gardeners' Question Time - help for the new gardeners

Can anyone tell me what this grassy looking plant is please?

I bought it last year but can't remember what it is :oops:Grass.jpg

I noticed the leaves on my geranium (outside) were all curled up so investigated.

Found these (totally different in look to food moth cocoons, ie. darker). Anyone know what they are?

Insect1.jpg

insect2.jpg

argh, more green things. Just this minute found these :mad: (Have found these on baby plants indoors so I don't know how they got there)

DSCF5156.JPG

I'm going to post some through both your letterboxes so you can see for yourselves :mad:

Anyway, they "bleed" green blood. I accidentally killed one when I was trying to pick it up and I got green blood over my fingers. Then I discovered loads more tiny little ones enveloped in linaria reticulata leaves

Here's a closer close-up for ID purposes. It's probably between 1-2 cms long and lime green

Caterpillar.jpg

As requested by MtM here is my lemon mint!

Well, here it isn't :hmm:

photo-735916.JPG

Oh wait! A closer look reveals....

photo-778770.JPG

One tiny sprouting! :cool:

mint2.jpg

Took two weeks, Minnie. HTH :)

Oh :D

I was expecting a bit more :hmm:
So was I, I think! But I have no idea how long these things usually take and it's only 13 days.

But I imagine them all down there, getting soaked and warming up and slooooowly ripening, fattening, splitting and pushing their stems, inch by inch, towards the light. I'm happy with progress :)

So was I, I think! But I have no idea how long these things usually take and it's only 13 days.

But I imagine them all down there, getting soaked and warming up and slooooowly ripening, fattening, splitting and pushing their stems, inch by inch, towards the light. I'm happy with progress :)

Well the weather's warming up, so hopefully they'll start suddenly shooting up. However, I'm not convinced I'll be sowing any myself. Take another picture in 2 weeks and if they're shooting up, I may change my mind :D

As I said they are biennials so you'd have to buy plants that someone else grew last year if you wanted them to flower this year. But I'm not sure how long they flower for though. I think it's quite a long time so if you bought some that were just coming into flower then they should last a while. I've never grown them so perhaps someone who has will be along in a while with more info.

ETA: It looks like they're supposed to flower from spring to earlier summer so it might be too late unless you only want them for a bit of colour through the next month or so.

As I said they are biennials so you'd have to buy plants that someone else grew last year if you wanted them to flower this year. But I'm not sure how long they flower for though. I think it's quite a long time so if you bought some that were just coming into flower then they should last a while. I've never grown them so perhaps someone who has will be along in a while with more info.

ETA: It looks like they're supposed to flower from spring to earlier summer so it might be too late unless you only want them for a bit of colour through the next month or so.

I like the colours and think they'd look nice in my shady spot. I wonder if I could get a cutting off that plant above to grow (but I'm guessing too late)?

I like the colours and think they'd look nice in my shady spot. I wonder if I could get a cutting off that plant above to grow (but I'm guessing too late)?
Worth a try. If it works, you'll have the colour you want for your shady spot, and if it doesn't you won't have lost much.

Worth a try. If it works, you'll have the colour you want for your shady spot, and if it doesn't you won't have lost much.

Will ring their bell next time I'm passing and ask, because I'm polite like that, unlike the bastard who stole my tulip :mad::D

I bought my house last year and became a gardener by default for the first time in my life. One of the fab things about the garden was a mature coxs' orange pippin. Last year when I came to view the house it was absolutely laden with apples. We pruned it in January, not too viciously but enough to let light through the middle and remove crossing branches. This spring, although it's leafed well enough, there is a grey mold on the ends of about 4 of the small branches we pruned (it's very minimal mold but it's there) and there has been very little blossom. Probaby no fruit then.:(

Have I killed it? Its it because of the weather? Is it just having a rest or something? I must say, I am quite disappointed.:(

What possessed you to prune a fruit tree(or any tree) in January?? Did you not think to check when to do that sort of thing? :eek:

The mould could be weather related. It has been stupidly changeable(warm/cold/wet) but I don't think you've killed it. I'd wait and see what happens or google apple tree mould and see what the web suggests. I've not had to deal with mould so not sure, but there are potions you can buy to deal with such things.

What possessed you to prune a fruit tree(or any tree) in January?? Did you not think to check when to do that sort of thing? :eek:

The mould could be weather related. It has been stupidly changeable(warm/cold/wet) but I don't think you've killed it. I'd wait and see what happens or google apple tree mould and see what the web suggests. I've not had to deal with mould so not sure, but there are potions you can buy to deal with such things.

I was given to understand Jan was a good month to prune it. Anyway, nothing looks dead or dying, it just hasn't blossomed.

Oh well there's always next year...

January is not the time to prune anything unless you want it to die!! The frost can get into the fresh cuts and totally kill it. Apple trees I'd prune if it still warm enough at the end of the season, you can do it spring time but you might be cutting potential blossom off unknowingly :)

January is not the time to prune anything unless you want it to die!! The frost can get into the fresh cuts and totally kill it. Apple trees I'd prune if it still warm enough at the end of the season, you can do it spring time but you might be cutting potential blossom off unknowingly :)

Really? :oops::D

Back
Top Bottom