Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Metal, etc.

Sick. I’ll see you there hopefully 👊
Let's try and make that happen.
Vegan doomer end of the world angst is an increasing party of my psyche these days...I think that's a big part of the appeal
I've seen them before, they sound great live, way better than on record imo ... The records are technically amazing but lack crunch. should be a good!

2023 has seen me fully absorbed in metal. I've listened to little else.

I might try and get to that cattle decap gig too... especially ai I see it's doors at 5, curfew at 10 - perfect for me as can get train home after 👍. More early gigs please...

I'll post my recent faves on this thread later. Share the joy....

is metal hip (lol) now then? what bit is hipsterish?

They clearly think it is. Municipal Waste are "too mainstream" and they prefer to sell Metal that they find in obscure corners of the internet that no one has ever heard of. Words to that effect.

I've been in many record shops and they really stood out as the least helpful and friendly I've been to. I always go into shops in a friendly manner with an open mind. Won't be back at that one.

These are the recent metal albums I've been caning to death....

Dream Unending - Song of Salvation

Ethereal proggy doom - beautiful...

Fires in the Distance - Air Not Meant for Us

Highly melodic death metal - lots of piano, it is quite cheesy but it really hits the spot

Serpent of Old - Ensemble Under the Dark Sun

Rip-roaring death metal from Turkey

Calligram - Postion / Momentum
Slamming punky hardcore black metal

Majesties - Vast Reaches Unclaimed
Melodic death metal from Minneapolis

Last edited:
Grand Cadaver - Deities of Deathlike Sleep
Beastly old school death metal

Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit
Incredible death metal with proggy elements - absolute trip of an album

Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
Cracking thrash from Scotland

Gridlink - Coronet Juniper
Sweet-as grindcore

is metal hip (lol) now then? what bit is hipsterish?
fwiw, I would think of "hipster metal" as a putdown for bands like Deafheaven, who play a kind of black metal that appeals to shoegazing dilettantes like me. I imagine Deafheaven would probably also fail the crypty wizard test.
My Coldplay t-shirt probably didn't help...
You need to get something with a bit more cred, come back in wearing this Cranberries t-shirt and I bet they'll be dead impressed.

I honestly can't see why anyone wants to play in a metal band but not have a pit bouncing away in front of the stage. That's what metal is, if everyone's standing about lost in their own little introspection as they absorb your angsty noise, that's not metal it's really loud emo.

So there it is, hipster metal is basically really loud emo. Nailed it :thumbs:

Still, I do quite like A Forest of Stars (quite old now, but this is totally the kind of thing I'd call hipstery)

(oh and probably Cradle of Filth)

Another band I can't categorise easily (broadly black metal but beyond that hard to box) and have certainly mentioned elsewhere are Oranssi Pazuzu from Finland. I'd start with either their most recent album and work back, or their first and work forward, but it's hard to pick a favourite because they're just .. odd. They're a unique band in my music collection as I have all their (full, studio) albums, all on vinyl (what a hipster knob lol) and I can't recommend them enough. Psychedelic as fk, nothing quite like it.

I'm old. I have loads of cd's and I like to browse in shops. If I don't go to crypt there are not many other places left, on the whole just HMV.
Where can I go to browse and buy metal CDs ( half just bought half a dozen in HMVs ).

Wouldn't hipster metal sit in a very weird position of being too obscure (on the hipster side of the hipster/non-hipster divide) but simultaneously too mainstream (it's not 'proper' metal which is probably way more obscure and sceney). Poor old hipsters can't win can they.

Will be using this thread hopefully for new stuff. Seems the last metal bands I found were not even that new and that was 5-10 years ago. A lot of my musical taste appears stuck in my 15-30 years old group and it's just stagnated.

Was in the world's end Camden tonight and there were many good tunes being played. Met with friends of family who recomended Hu. Is there anything more bizarre than a Mongolian band combining metal with throat singing?

Back
Top Bottom