Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Metal, etc.

Every metal thread i will post Strapping Young Lad if they've not already got a mention.

...and yeh, Devin Townsend generally is a beast :D
Devin Townsend is a dude, (edited for explanation... he has a tendency to spend time after shows meeting fans and signing stuff instead of rushing backstage, and that in my book is very cool). Anyway he made his first money singing for Steve Vai, set up his studio and the first SYL album went nowhere. But after City, well .. City is pretty much unprecedented and till Anaal Nathrakh came along also unequalled IMO.

Of his recent stuff I really like Ghost, it's one of the most chill albums I've ever heard, though the fact I love it so much really shows my age :D

He did this recently, which is also lovely...

So hi, I've missed this thread. Thanks for it, some fantastic tunes, here are here are few more..

Esoteric for example are yet another argument for Birmingham being the greatest city for music in the world. Is doom really metal? If not then it's very high up the 'etc' list :D

On the subject of thrash, kreator still do a fine job but unfortunately they attract fash wankers to their gigs. Already mentioned Short Sharp Shock are excellent .. and Heart Attack from France have done some good stuff but not for a few years. Talking of France (but not thrash) Blut aus Nord... :thumbs:

Sorry I've imbibed. Let me go on washing my metal head...

Um, municipal waste have been mentioned, at least one of them is in another personal fave, Cannabis Corpse.

And on the subject of death metal (oh I know, 'the vocals' QQ) what I've heard of the new Decapitated album is fucking amazing...

Last edited:
Every metal thread i will post Strapping Young Lad if they've not already got a mention.

...and yeh, Devin Townsend generally is a beast :D

I've got the SYL at Albert Hall dvd and I had tix but gave them away to two massive fan boys who would have enjoyed it more than I would have.

The concert out there somewhere, but this (as part of many things at that gig),really ticks my boxes. Jed fucking Symons rips it a new one. And the rest of the band are just as tight.

They are all totally vibing when playing this. It's immense.

Last edited:
. Jed fucking Symons rips it a new one.
He does, but sorry it's Gene Hoglan (if you mean the drummer!). A drumming legend, I saw his original band Dark Angel when I was about 17 and came out a right bloody mess. Fantastic gig, and this album remains a towering masterpiece of how thrash metal should be done \m/

Last edited:
Jed Symons is the guitarist. Gene Hoglan is undeniably a drumming behemoth
Ah of course, I'd forgotten that SYL had two guitarists. I think I have it in my head that the first two SYL albums were basically DT solo recordings and the band was for performing the material live, a bit like Foo Fighters started out. Maybe that's wrong anyway, but fwiw that's why I forgot about JS (apologies to Jed that he'll never see or care about!)

This lot are quite fun:

Touring this summer (well, Bristol, Manchester and Glasgow, anyway):

Since this thread's been bumped, might as well also bump the thing about the Midnight/Night Demon tour, that's coming up pretty soon now.
Also in upcoming tours, this lot are quite fun:

Playing Hastings, London, a festival in Leicester, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol later on in June:

Was looking for something else and discovered this lot. I'm more into the music, dgenty, synthy than the metalcore style vocals but is growing on me.

Since this thread's been bumped, might as well also bump the thing about the Midnight/Night Demon tour, that's coming up pretty soon now.
Also in upcoming tours, this lot are quite fun:

Playing Hastings, London, a festival in Leicester, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol later on in June:

This must be an absolute riot live :thumbs: top notch.

I recently saw these guys at the Gryphon in Bristol. Good show and great pub.

The Gryphon has such a great history and I love that it's a shamelessly heavy metal venue now. The drinks are excellent and the pizzas are pretty good too. It is 100% the worst place ever to play drums in a band though, crammed in a corner with all the heat and noise...

If you're Bristol based there's a band around those parts called Aand? who are top notch..

That's fantastic but I can't help thinking they'd really benefit from a second, clean singer. Or maybe the whole sound is just too compressed? I've been listening to a lot of old music and sometimes new metal recordings feel really thin and lack dynamics, this feels thinner than it probably is live (unlike the err drummer, I guess the stretchy harlequin look wasn't his idea, I sympathise!)

There's often a fair amount of metal recommended in the new albums threads - if you like Dawn Ray'd, maybe some of these would appeal?

Idk, I think my metal-listening probably tends towards mostly just Darkthrone and Municipal Waste at the moment. Oh, Deafheaven, maybe you'd like Deafheaven?

Went to see Anthrax last night, epic as ever.

Municipal Waste were support, they were great!

1665328427493.jpeg

1665328449741.jpeg

View attachment 346499

View attachment 346500
Oh, think I saw that tour advertised, I don't actually care about Anthrax enough to pay that much for them but did think it sounded like a good lineup.
Also, as new metal (not nu-metal) goes, saw this album recommended in the new albums thread, it's pretty good:

Think Municipal Waste are back here now, touring with Kreator and Lamb of God, wish they'd get around to doing a headline tour of their own.

Anyway, was looking for the 2022 albums thread but this one will do just as well, here's some 2022 albums from the bands that are currently touring with Napalm Death:

(bit heavy on the guitar solos that one, but has its moments)

I love Municipal Waste and the offshoot Iron Reagan (or is it the other way around?).

Have I already posted this in this thread? Don't care 😂

(the other people at the drinks fridge are the equally awesome Red Fang, and I believe there are a couple of cameos in the music shop bit too. Iirc Stephen Malkmus is the guy holding the record).

Back
Top Bottom