Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men's team pre-season fixtures 2024/25

Only looking forward to the Merthyr Town match this far. All the other matches are familiar clubs / grounds to visit.

Hoping that the 27 July match will pull out something interesting - a seaside away day perhaps?

Only looking forward to the Merthyr Town match this far. All the other matches are familiar clubs / grounds to visit.

Hoping that the 27 July match will pull out something interesting - a seaside away day perhaps?
Pre-season fixtures are little more than public training sessions these days. Most of them are almost worthless as a spectacle, with up to 22 players per side and anonymous triallists. I'm as partial to an away beano or a new ground tick as anyone, but the only real purpose is for the team to hit the ground running for the games that matter, which hasn't happened for several years now. We may as well minimalise overheads by visiting local opposition unless it's feasible to have a team bonding type weekend, like the Marine/Chester trip. I'm not sure how we've ended up hosting Merthyr. We played them home and away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round in 1989. The home game was played at Fisher due to the reduced capacity at our crumbling old ground, then the replay on a Tuesday night was played in front of a 2,000+ crowd in South Wales.

I always like to do the first one just to see the latest recruits for the first time, and Fisher is my local ground so that's easy for me. I might do the next two Saturday games against Dagenham and away to Dorking, which is a nice town for an afternoon out, but that's probably it for me. Most of the county leagues start on 27th July, so there should be plenty of options to pick a new ground to visit for a proper game with something riding on it. The FA Cup Extra Preliminary round is probably going to be on 3rd August, so that's another opportunity for a new ground tick for a game that matters.

Pre-season fixtures are little more than public training sessions these days. Most of them are almost worthless as a spectacle, with up to 22 players per side and anonymous triallists. I'm as partial to an away beano or a new ground tick as anyone, but the only real purpose is for the team to hit the ground running for the games that matter, which hasn't happened for several years now. We may as well minimalise overheads by visiting local opposition unless it's feasible to have a team bonding type weekend, like the Marine/Chester trip. I'm not sure how we've ended up hosting Merthyr. We played them home and away in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round in 1989. The home game was played at Fisher due to the reduced capacity at our crumbling old ground, then the replay on a Tuesday night was played in front of a 2,000+ crowd in South Wales.

I always like to do the first one just to see the latest recruits for the first time, and Fisher is my local ground so that's easy for me. I might do the next two Saturday games against Dagenham and away to Dorking, which is a nice town for an afternoon out, but that's probably it for me. Most of the county leagues start on 27th July, so there should be plenty of options to pick a new ground to visit for a proper game with something riding on it. The FA Cup Extra Preliminary round is probably going to be on 3rd August, so that's another opportunity for a new ground tick for a game that matters.

I think Mel has connections at Merthyr.

Very happy that my wish was acted on (!?), as we have Hythe Town away on 27 July. Beach time!

Very happy that my wish was acted on (!?), as we have Hythe Town away on 27 July. Beach time!
That's tempting if it happens. *Neither club has announced anything yet, as far as I can see. The ground is walkable from Sandling Station, which has a direct hourly service from London Bridge, or a longer walk/bus ride from Folkestone Central.

We played there in each of our last two seasons in D1S and lost both times. They were the only team to beat us at Champion Hill in our promotion season.

The Three Mariners was an excellent pub not too far from the ground, and there's now a micropub in the town called the Potting Shed, which looks very basic but obviously a must visit! A friend of mine moved to Hythe a few years ago and has a smoking shed (fish, not tobacco) and a market stall at weekends.

*edit: just seen it's been added to the fixture list on the club website, although I check the club Twitter every day and haven't seen it there.

Last edited:
That's tempting if it happens. *Neither club has announced anything yet, as far as I can see. The ground is walkable from Sandling Station, which has a direct hourly service from London Bridge, or a longer walk/bus ride from Folkestone Central.

We played there in each of our last two seasons in D1S and lost both times. They were the only team to beat us at Champion Hill in our promotion season.

The Three Mariners was an excellent pub not too far from the ground, and there's now a micropub in the town called the Potting Shed, which looks very basic but obviously a must visit! A friend of mine moved to Hythe a few years ago and has a smoking shed (fish, not tobacco) and a market stall at weekends.

*edit: just seen it's been added to the fixture list on the club website, although I check the club Twitter every day and haven't seen it there.

Clicked on the link and the game isn't on there.

Oh weird. It definitely was earlier.
I wish someone would just make a clear explanation when something like this happens instead of discreetly deleting it when it's obvious some of us will have seen it. It was certainly there at 5.30pm this evening

Always baffles me that we so rarely get a game out of Millwall U21s given their proximity.
I'm pleased we don't, it's been a dismal spectacle the last couple of times I've seen us play them. Young professionals who've been drilled in all the dark arts and cynical gamesmanship of modern football, taking maximum advantage of the custom that you don't get booked or sent off in a pre-season game. It's not a moneyspinner at the turnstiles and we've already got a game against the nearest other pro academy team. I'd rather host Hornchurch and Dagenham instead.

I wish someone would just make a clear explanation when something like this happens instead of discreetly deleting it when it's obvious some of us will have seen it. It was certainly there at 5.30pm this evening

I'm pleased we don't, it's been a dismal spectacle the last couple of times I've seen us play them. Young professionals who've been drilled in all the dark arts and cynical gamesmanship of modern football, taking maximum advantage of the custom that you don't get booked or sent off in a pre-season game. It's not a moneyspinner at the turnstiles and we've already got a game against the nearest other pro academy team. I'd rather host Hornchurch and Dagenham instead.
Fully agree with the first point. Just say what's happening.

Re: Millwall: I would have thought it's more beneficial to play them than, say, Haringey away? Think it would draw a reasonable crowd (certainly better than something like the 150 of us knocking around for the game v Erith & Belvedere last summer.) I get we might want to protect the pitch, but I think maximising pre season income is prudent, given that we all know our midweek home fixtures rarely break the 1,000 attendance mark and attendances also drop off on Saturdays during the colder months.

Re: Millwall: I would have thought it's more beneficial to play them than, say, Haringey away? Think it would draw a reasonable crowd (certainly better than something like the 150 of us knocking around for the game v Erith & Belvedere last summer.) I get we might want to protect the pitch, but I think maximising pre season income is prudent, given that we all know our midweek home fixtures rarely break the 1,000 attendance mark and attendances also drop off on Saturdays during the colder months.
We played Millwall U21 2 and 3 years ago. I don't think those games pulled more than about 500. We've also played Palace, Brentford and Arsenal U21 and an Orient senior squad in recent seasons without pulling many more than that. The last big attendance I can recall for a pre-season game was Spurs U21 5 years ago, which pulled nearly 3,000. I don't recall whether the club marketed that differently in any way, but maybe the novelty of having crowds of 3,000 has worn off now. The ground isn't really comfortable at that figure, so I suspect a lot of the people who are now regulars for the league games are less interested in pre-season games that are generally soon forgotten.

You've picked Erith & Belvedere as an example, but that's a lower division club with little support, and far from typical. We rarely arrange a home friendly like that, so I imagine something more glamorous fell through and it must have been the best we could get for that date.

Rightly or wrongly, we charge full price admission in pre-season when most other clubs at our level charge a tenner or less. I'm not complaining, as I doubt half price would mean double the attendance, but personally I'm not really interested in most of these games at any price. I'm sure we had a "pre-season ticket" in the past (4 games for the price of 2 and a half, or something like that) but I haven't seen that advertised this year.

I don't really see why it's less beneficial to play away to Haringey than at home to an U21 side. We need a variety of fixtures, and we already have 4 at home this time. It's an opportunity to play on a 3G pitch, which is something we'll have to cope with in some league games. I would think a team one division below us will be a greater approximation of what we'll encounter in the league games than a team of young professionals, who may be playing in either the Premier League or the Isthmian League in 5 years time. So far we've arranged matches against 3 higher level clubs, 2 lower level clubs, 1 at the same level, plus the Palace U21 game. The fixtures arranged may not all have been first choices, it obviously depends whether it suits opponents to visit us or host us on the same dates we wish to play them. Maybe "better" options were declined or fell through, but it looks like a reasonable balance so far, with a couple of dates still free to add more.

Clicked on the link and the game isn't on there.
For fuck's sake, This is really amateurish stuff.

I've twice updated the Buzz article and now they sneakily remove a fixture without bothering to tell anyone so I'll have to edit it again.

We played Millwall U21 2 and 3 years ago. I don't think those games pulled more than about 500. We've also played Palace, Brentford and Arsenal U21 and an Orient senior squad in recent seasons without pulling many more than that. The last big attendance I can recall for a pre-season game was Spurs U21 5 years ago, which pulled nearly 3,000. I don't recall whether the club marketed that differently in any way, but maybe the novelty of having crowds of 3,000 has worn off now. The ground isn't really comfortable at that figure, so I suspect a lot of the people who are now regulars for the league games are less interested in pre-season games that are generally soon forgotten.

You've picked Erith & Belvedere as an example, but that's a lower division club with little support, and far from typical. We rarely arrange a home friendly like that, so I imagine something more glamorous fell through and it must have been the best we could get for that date.

Rightly or wrongly, we charge full price admission in pre-season when most other clubs at our level charge a tenner or less. I'm not complaining, as I doubt half price would mean double the attendance, but personally I'm not really interested in most of these games at any price. I'm sure we had a "pre-season ticket" in the past (4 games for the price of 2 and a half, or something like that) but I haven't seen that advertised this year.

I don't really see why it's less beneficial to play away to Haringey than at home to an U21 side. We need a variety of fixtures, and we already have 4 at home this time. It's an opportunity to play on a 3G pitch, which is something we'll have to cope with in some league games. I would think a team one division below us will be a greater approximation of what we'll encounter in the league games than a team of young professionals, who may be playing in either the Premier League or the Isthmian League in 5 years time. So far we've arranged matches against 3 higher level clubs, 2 lower level clubs, 1 at the same level, plus the Palace U21 game. The fixtures arranged may not all have been first choices, it obviously depends whether it suits opponents to visit us or host us on the same dates we wish to play them. Maybe "better" options were declined or fell through, but it looks like a reasonable balance so far, with a couple of dates still free to add more.

Cheers for another essay mate.

For fuck's sake, This is really amateurish stuff.

I've twice updated the Buzz article and now they sneakily remove a fixture without bothering to tell anyone so I'll have to edit it again.
Turns out this game is on after all. Presumably someone mistakenly included it in the fixture list on the website while it was still provisional (which would be fair enough, we all make mistakes) but why it couldn't be edited as "provisional" instead of confusing everyone by deleting it altogether, I've no idea.

Turns out this game is on after all. Presumably someone mistakenly included it in the fixture list on the website while it was still provisional (which would be fair enough, we all make mistakes) but why it couldn't be edited as "provisional" instead of confusing everyone by deleting it altogether, I've no idea.

And still no one has bothered to update Buzz, the site run by volunteers that has literally given the club more coverage than any other media outlet (and also provides this forum at zero expense to the club).

It's slapdash, unprofessional and disrespectful and I'm really pissed off about it. And now I'll update the article for the fourth time.

The last big attendance I can recall for a pre-season game was Spurs U21 5 years ago, which pulled nearly 3,000.
Think the big crowd came from a variety of reasons. It was announced as a “Spurs XI” and the first team were on an overseas tour playing in Singapore, Shanghai & Germany with only one preseason game in the UK. Even so it was strange to get that many when there were no recognised names in the Spurs squad.

Dorking have put tickets on sale, £6 in the away end. It seems segregation is enforced at all matches, the Farnham Town friendly match also sees away tickets being offered.

Merthyr game OFF:

It appears they've been given a wildcard entry to the League of Wales Cup (along with Cardiff, Swansea and Newport) and the 2nd Round of that competition is scheduled for the weekend they were due to visit us.

Back
Top Bottom