Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2023-24 - Pre-Season Friendlies

I believe there are reasons, but I don't think they're public yet. I don't think it's a coincidence that this has happened after Powell and Smith have gone there, I'll put it that way.
Losing people to a smaller club in a higher league is one of the consequences of relegation, unfortunately. If we have cancelled this game, and that's the reason, it seems a bit futile to me. All our players were free agents at the end of the season, as far as I'm aware, and I didn't think Powell was under contract in the first place.

Anyway, there are no trains beyond Sevenoaks on that day, with trains from London Bridge to Tonbridge on diversion via East Croydon. Aveley is fiddly to get to but an Oystercard trip, and a tick for me.

So lovely to see so many of the Non League sides arranging Pre-Season friendlies for the Saturday’s 1st July upto 5th August and announcing them enabling the fans to plan ahead, still we have one on the 8th July….any more 👚👕👚👕👚👕😎

As a Hamlet fan who lives in Tonbridge I'm furious at these slurs!

(I'm not, it's a shit team with a shit plastic ground and none of the players actually live here, or even bother getting involved with the 80 odd youth teams we have (Tonbridge Juniors and Tonbridge Invicta).

So fuck em.

Last edited:
This will be interesting. Welwyn have a new owner who seems to have very ambitious plans for the club: Non league club rebrands and plots to reach the EFL with seven promotions in twelve years - Fan Banter

However, off the pitch he sounds like a very unpleasant character: Failed Welwyn businessman jailed after beating his wife in Stevenage.
That's not the same club, they'll be playing three levels below Welwyn Garden City, although they will be sharing WGC's ground.

The AFC Welwyn owner is clearly a total bastard, as well as sounding a bit clueless about how non-league football works. This comment from one of his former colleagues probably sums up his football club's chances: "He was very good at fooling people."

On the main pitch no less!
I think they use the 3G cage for most of their pre-season home games. I've seen speculation from some of their supporters that they might vacate the main ground altogether and use that instead, which really highlights how far the club has declined in the last few years. I'd like to think we'll contest league points with them again one day, but that looks a long way off right now.

I think they use the 3G cage for most of their pre-season home games. I've seen speculation from some of their supporters that they might vacate the main ground altogether and use that instead, which really highlights how far the club has declined in the last few years. I'd like to think we'll contest league points with them again one day, but that looks a long way off right now.

Its their own fault!

That's not the same club, they'll be playing three levels below Welwyn Garden City, although they will be sharing WGC's ground.

The AFC Welwyn owner is clearly a total bastard, as well as sounding a bit clueless about how non-league football works. This comment from one of his former colleagues probably sums up his football club's chances: "He was very good at fooling people."
Ah, my bad. Sorry, as you were.

Back
Top Bottom