Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Matthew Hedges jailed for life in UAE

I'm baffled by all the "serves him right" comments to be honest. He was doing research. Are you all saying you agree with criminalising academic freedom?

I agree that academic freedom is essential. But there is a kind of reprehensible arrogance/obliviousness in academia. And consequently a shameful pleasure in seeing highly intelligent people blunder up against brute force.

I agree that academic freedom is essential. But there is a kind of reprehensible arrogance/obliviousness in academia. And consequently a shameful pleasure in seeing highly intelligent people blunder up against brute force.

Theres the rub. Countries like the UAE don't recognize academic freedom, especially if it clashes with their ideology or criticizes those in charge.

academic freedom is a dubious idea at best
Key legal flaws in the Boston College oral history project

see this farce:facepalm:.

the idea that a University could defend keeping evidence from the courts due to "academic freedom" is ridiculous.

now if the archive had disappeared into a vault and not been seen for 30 odd years they might have got away with it.

As controversial project stumbles to an end, BC reflects on where things went wrong - The Boston Globe

“The question that is unanswered is, why was the process not followed with this project?” said Susan Michalczyk, assistant director of BC’s Arts and Sciences honors program and president of the university’s chapter of the American Association of University Professors. “There should have been direct faculty oversight. Academic freedom can only be maintained when people adhere to the policies that preserve ethical practices.”

Theres the rub. Countries like the UAE don't recognize academic freedom, especially if it clashes with their ideology or criticizes those in charge.

Countries like Britain don't recognise the right to housing or the right to income, it doesn't mean we just accept it.

academic freedom is a dubious idea at best
Key legal flaws in the Boston College oral history project

see this farce:facepalm:.

the idea that a University could defend keeping evidence from the courts due to "academic freedom" is ridiculous.

now if the archive had disappeared into a vault and not been seen for 30 odd years they might have got away with it.

As controversial project stumbles to an end, BC reflects on where things went wrong - The Boston Globe

“The question that is unanswered is, why was the process not followed with this project?” said Susan Michalczyk, assistant director of BC’s Arts and Sciences honors program and president of the university’s chapter of the American Association of University Professors. “There should have been direct faculty oversight. Academic freedom can only be maintained when people adhere to the policies that preserve ethical practices.”

That isn't about academic freedom, it's about failure to secure informed participant consent.

E2A: Which can be a fucking difficult issue to be fair.

"I need to explain how this research could be used and talk you through the confidentiality process including your rights to anonymity"

"It's fine, I trust you, let me tell you about this one time..."

They have obviously been employed to give an air of respectability to the local judicial system. It's outrageous that they would do this. Flabbergasted and speechless.

Gravy train innit. At least for the people at who consider themselves our lords and masters.

I know a teacher - a teacher so shit that my wife refused to give him a positive .reference and he couldn't get supply work - who lives and works in the UAE. He earns about £120k for a 4 day week, subsidised/free accommodation and flights, and little or no tax.

He is by no means a 'lord and master', he's just a mercenary wanker - and he's not alone: nurses, doctors, and engineers who are all very happy to suck the despot cock and watch the money roll in.

Conversely, it has opened channels with the UAE regime that may allow him better access by doing it formally next time and PR for the states . As long as he is suitably contrite in public of course

I reckon they were after a few miscreants to pardon on national day, so they went and rounded a few up, slung them inside and then, OH, we will pardon a few people.

I'm told UAE Intel is heavily ex-MI6 and this is a warning to a fuckwit who has been trying to sell bit sand pieces of sensitive info picked up from local contacts over time. He's not a fantasist nor a gov man, just been a very silly boy. Sentence will be changed.
They've let the silly bollox go. Should keep him on the straight and narrow, and warn off any others.

tbh if i was facing life imprisonment and the way out was to admit links with mi6 i can't say hand on heart that i'd dismiss the notion out of hand.
If I've understood the story correctly, the admission came before the conviction and sentencing, rather than the pardon being granted after he 'confessed' and the pardon being conditional on the confession.

Back
Top Bottom