Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mark E Smith from the Fall has died

That's a sad sight, but keep in mind he probably bought it in stunningly pristine all-mod-cons condition and spent years carefully cultivating the appearance of 'home of person in crisis who hasn't decorated since the 70s'.

Just reading this piece about ATP, and Barry Hogan (and unreliable narrator if ever there was one, but it's a good story so we'll allow it) had this little anecdote about MES:

One time The Fall turned up and, for their rider, took ten cases of beer, six bottles of wine and all the champagne. They cleaned us out. They put it all in their chalet to have a party. I get this call that they’re side of stage, and Mark E Smith is kicking off because there’s no rider. I explained they’d already had it, but they were refusing to play without one. So we took the skeleton key and broke into The Fall’s chalet and took their own booze and brought it to them. After the show, I hear this message on the radio: “It’s the Fall, they’ve been robbed!” Mark used to give me an invoice with a fake VAT number on it, and when I called him on it he pulled out a whisky bottle and tried to hit me over the head with it. Twice he tried to bottle me.

That's a sad sight, but keep in mind he probably bought it in stunningly pristine all-mod-cons condition and spent years carefully cultivating the appearance of 'home of person in crisis who hasn't decorated since the 70s'.

Oh, and there I was thinking “he’s famous and his house is a bit like mine (except bigger), maybe things aren’t so bad…”. :(

Back
Top Bottom