Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sinead O'Connor has died

Unless I've missed it I haven't yet seen a tribute to Sinead on telly. They often rush them out very soon after someone dies. I'm disappointed.
If you have Sky the documentary 'Nothing Compares' tonight at 9pm and during the week on the Sky Documentary Channel.
It was scheduled before Sinead's death.

It's also on the NOW streaming channel.

Nothing else planned on tv apparently.

Last edited:
Nothing Compares is a good doc. Though sadly Nothing Compares 2 U isn’t featured because Price’s estate wouldn’t allow it to be licensed. She and Prince didn’t exactly get along though I’m not sure what the exact reasoning was.

Nothing Compares is a good doc. Though sadly Nothing Compares 2 U isn’t featured because Price’s estate wouldn’t allow it to be licensed. She and Prince didn’t exactly get along though I’m not sure what the exact reasoning was.
She allegedly said that he allegedly assaulted her. Might have remembered that incorrectly.

She allegedly said that he allegedly assaulted her. Might have remembered that incorrectly.
Well it could be that, the story of their one and only meeting is very bizarre

She writes that Prince summoned her to his macabre Hollywood mansion, chastised her for swearing in interviews, harangued his butler to serve her soup though she repeatedly refused it, and sweetly suggested a pillow fight, only to thump her with something hard he’d slipped into his pillowcase. When she escaped on foot in the middle of the night, she writes, he stalked her with his car, leapt out and chased her around the highway.

I had to come back and say something about Sinead O'Connor. I had a great deal of affection for her. She was great. Her voice of course, but her heart.

Like most people, the first I was aware of her was when Mandinka came out. At the time it just sounded so different. You knew this was a big talent you were hearing. But also seeing her interviewed, you couldn't help but love her. She was so fragile but at the same time fierce, shy and self-effacing but at the same time confident and passionate. It was compelling.

There's not much that hasn't been said over these last few days about her ferocious honesty. I remember the Pope photo thing. Although I hadn't remembered, until reminded by the coverage of her death, that it was SNL. But I remember the furore. I knew then that she was right, and I was angry with those who turned on her for it. I was at the time an angry atheist. I've softened my atheism since then. But the knee-jerk reactionary response was sickening.

She'd already started to make musical choices I didn't understand by then. I think she'd already done at least one Andrew Lloyd Webber song, and I'm sure she did more. I couldn't get on with that, no matter how good her voice was on it. One of my mates liked her folk song stuff, but it wasn't until the Massive Attack collaboration that I really liked - or, to be honest, particularly noticed - anything else she did.

editor says Kristofferson has gone up in his estimation. I remember that gesture. I remember seeing it at the time. It was televised. The Bob Dylan gig. Funnily enough I was in a country band at that time and was aware what a good guy he was.

But I just watched the documentary on Now, and saw Joe Pesci and Madonna being arseholes, which I don't remember and probably wouldn't have seen at the time. But the truly shocking one was the supposedly feminist Camille Paglia saying, "in the case of Sinead O'Connor, child abuse was justified". Fucking sickening.

She already had daemons. No wonder she continued to with shit like that heaped on her. And of course the sad tragedy of her son, Shane.

I could never really understand her relationship with religion. It was obviously very complicated. She was complicated. But I can't follow how such a fierce critic of patriarchal clericalism in the case of Catholicism goes on to become a headscarf-wearing Muslim. But she owed no explanation to me, and I hope it brought her some comfort. And I hope she knew how loved she was.

Love you, Sinead. Go well.

I had to come back and say something about Sinead O'Connor. I had a great deal of affection for her. She was great. Her voice of course, but her heart.

Like most people, the first I was aware of her was when Mandinka came out. At the time it just sounded so different. You knew this was a big talent you were hearing. But also seeing her interviewed, you couldn't help but love her. She was so fragile but at the same time fierce, shy and self-effacing but at the same time confident and passionate. It was compelling.

There's not much that hasn't been said over these last few days about her ferocious honesty. I remember the Pope photo thing. Although I hadn't remembered, until reminded by the coverage of her death, that it was SNL. But I remember the furore. I knew then that she was right, and I was angry with those who turned on her for it. I was at the time an angry atheist. I've softened my atheism since then. But the knee-jerk reactionary response was sickening.

She'd already started to make musical choices I didn't understand by then. I think she'd already done at least one Andrew Lloyd Webber song, and I'm sure she did more. I couldn't get on with that, no matter how good her voice was on it. One of my mates liked her folk song stuff, but it wasn't until the Massive Attack collaboration that I really liked - or, to be honest, particularly noticed - anything else she did.

editor says Kristofferson has gone up in his estimation. I remember that gesture. I remember seeing it at the time. It was televised. The Bob Dylan gig. Funnily enough I was in a country band at that time and was aware what a good guy he was.

But I just watched the documentary on Now, and saw Joe Pesci and Madonna being arseholes, which I don't remember and probably wouldn't have seen at the time. But the truly shocking one was the supposedly feminist Camille Paglia saying, "in the case of Sinead O'Connor, child abuse was justified". Fucking sickening.

She already had daemons. No wonder she continued to with shit like that heaped on her. And of course the sad tragedy of her son, Shane.

I could never really understand her relationship with religion. It was obviously very complicated. She was complicated. But I can't follow how such a fierce critic of patriarchal clericalism in the case of Catholicism goes on to become a headscarf-wearing Muslim. But she owed no explanation to me, and I hope it brought her some comfort. And I hope she knew how loved she was.

I think there was a thread on urban a few years back where there were some not nice posts about Sinéad.

People were a bit polarised about her. But I always felt she was strong intelligent and honest to her core and searching..she was searching all her life for meaning and she literally did spread nothing but love.

I found this earlier and thought..how great she was not to be phased by anyone on the panel. At one stage a woman on the panel seemed to sneer at Sinéad. She is a relatively well known woman..journalist I think? Her name escapes me so maybe she is not as well known.as I thought..

But Sinéad continues...making her thoughts known in such an articulate and gentle way..honest and direct.

She was really heads above these people.

Here is the clip.

Good to see you, danny.

The reaction in the States was intense, hysterical and more than a little scary.

Back in Ireland, many of us who were sick and tired of the fundamentalism and hypocrisy of a church that preached love but applied brutality... found her actions cathartic. It was a real punch the air moment. The older generation, the conservative church goers and sections of the media were not impressed.

But as we know now, she was right.

She had to fight her battles in public and was always looking for "true spirituality", something she didn't get from the RCC. So she dabbled in various religions, the Tridentine independents, Rastafarianism and eventually, hopefully finding comfort in Islam.

Her lifelong love of music gave millions of us comfort. Although finding it difficult to play her albums just now.

My father wasn't interested in Prince AFAIK but Nothing Compares To U was his favourite song and one that he chose for his funeral. I thought about it and decided he wanted everyone crying but in the event it wasn't like that. Nobody cried when it was played the same as nobody laughed when he went into the oven to Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. Anyway that's my Sinead story. How someone plays live is the big test though. She doesn't hit a wrong note.

And then that video led onto this interview. She was a good egg.

I think there was a thread on urban a few years back where there were some not nice posts about Sinéad.

People were a bit polarised about her. But I always felt she was strong intelligent and honest to her core and searching..she was searching all her life for meaning and she literally did spread nothing but love.

I found this earlier and thought..how great she was not to be phased by anyone on the panel. At one stage a woman on the panel seemed to sneer at Sinéad. She is a relatively well known woman..journalist I think? Her name escapes me so maybe she is not as well known.as I thought..

But Sinéad continues...making her thoughts known in such an articulate and gentle way..honest and direct.

Here is the clip.

not sure if anyone outside of people from ireland or people who spent time in the country at the time and the preceding decades can
really understand the impact of the child abuse scandal on irish society

it aftermath reduced what was a constant in ireland "the Church" to an afterthought in about 10 years

Sinead was just an outliner of what was coming

Here is the clip.

Could it be someone like Ruth Dudley Edwards?

I feel a lot worse about it somehow knowing that she died in the hood. Like had we known etc... Which of course is just a tiny taste of what you must have to go through when your child commits suicide.

If you have Sky the documentary 'Nothing Compares' tonight at 9pm and during the week on the Sky Documentary Channel.
It was scheduled before Sinead's death.

It's also on the NOW streaming channel.

Nothing else planned on tv apparently.

Thanks for that. We don't do Sky or Now, but hopefully this will become more widely available sometime. Cheers anyway.

A 1987 HotPress interview with Sinead from before the Lion and The Cobra was released..
"I'd like to keep Ireland in my heart as a place I love and can be proud of. But to do that I need to distance myself from the politics. The failure to bring in legal contraception, abortion, and divorce leaves the place like it was 100 years ago, and many women - men as well, will be treated like shit because of it. I don't know what the solution is, I just know that these things will never get through, as long as the church continues to have the kind of power it currently does"

Back
Top Bottom