Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Marburg virus Rwanda September 2024

yield

field
What to Know About the Marburg Virus Disease Outbreak
03/10/24 https://archive.ph/gzoRY
In Rwanda, 11 deaths have been reported from this rare but deadly disease. Two people tested negative in Germany this week.

One to watch

That second article is so weird.

Feel sick on a train? Better call the fire brigade.
Not weird, given contact history of one of the people, and the fact that their profession made them far more clued up of the potential risk that they had caught Marburg, and the wider implications if they had.

Plus when I machine translate the Die Welt article that is one of that articles sources, it actually says they 'dialed the emergency number'.

As for this outbreak, the reason I usually dont comment on these things in a pandemic context is that if you read sites like promed, there are usually numerous disease outbreaks of concern happening at any one time, and most of them wont become internationally significant. So I have to wait for more key warning signs before even starting the process of fearing the worst.

Yeah what elbows says. I think COVID really encouraged this kind of reporting about outbreaks of infectious diseases. They happen. With some regularity. It is monitored and reported. If cases significantly increase, new strains are identified or outbreaks are identified health professionals are advised to consider relevant causative organisms if someone has an illness and hits criteria such as recent travel to the area.

It's scaremongering really.

Back
Top Bottom