Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

I presume, now they have a target zone, the whole area is being intensly scanned by every satellite available, and in time (following processing/analysis) that'll possibly show something, complementing the air/sea search.

Speculation can stop. With an insight to aviation, I can tell you that the only other time that an aircraft has "disappeared" was a US Air Force fighter, when it was shot down just above the East Sea in the 70s

Speculation can stop! What a load of bollox, has your insight to aviation not taught you about the Bermuda triangle?

"China has new satellite images of one or more floating objects that could be related to missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said Saturday.

“The news that I just received is that the Chinese ambassador received satellite image of floating objects in the southern corridor and they will be sending ships to verify,” Hishammuddin told a news briefing in Kuala Lumpur.

It was not immediately clear how many possible objects had been spotted, but the minister said one was estimated at 22 meters by 30 meters (72 by 98 feet)."

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...ation-as-MH370-search-enters-third-week-.html

"China has new satellite images of one or more floating objects that could be related to missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said Saturday.

“The news that I just received is that the Chinese ambassador received satellite image of floating objects in the southern corridor and they will be sending ships to verify,” Hishammuddin told a news briefing in Kuala Lumpur.

It was not immediately clear how many possible objects had been spotted, but the minister said one was estimated at 22 meters by 30 meters (72 by 98 feet)."

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...ation-as-MH370-search-enters-third-week-.html

There's loads of stuff that large being found on Tomnod, but until expert eyes have analysed the images, hard to get excited (although I imagine the Chinese experts have analysed their images)

According to pprune, & a statement released, the object isn't 30m, but 22x13 - not that that changes much.

305470.jpg

Here's the pprune post;

BjUzgj2CYAAGMaU.jpg

"Malaysia has clarified that the object found by China is 22.5m by 13m, not 22m by 30m.

Its transport ministry says it received the information by phone during the press conference and was misheard"

This is purported to be the final RMAF primary radar trace of the flight, west of Penang, which indicates it was travelling NW along N571 via VAMPI and MEKAR towards NILAM. Last paint being at 0222local between MEKAR and NILAM. (Apparently not VAMPI-GIVAL-IGREX as previously reported).

psr-mas370.jpg

This is purported to be the final RMAF primary radar trace of the flight, west of Penang, which indicates it was travelling NW along N571 via VAMPI and MEKAR towards NILAM. Last paint being at 0222local between MEKAR and NILAM. (Apparently not VAMPI-GIVAL-IGREX as previously reported).

View attachment 50674
I may be being dim, but that does not look like the same place the Australians are looking in?

View attachment 50674

I'm guessing that's the Pulau Perak area which they were searching around ages ago

I may be being dim, but that does not look like the same place the Australians are looking in?

It's not

Indeed it isn't. It describes the route below from east to west. The purple line is VAMPI (to the east) - MEKAR (to the west). The primary trace is (approximately) the green dashed line and the red circle is the last known position on the filed flight plan.

IGARI-VAMPI-MEKAR-NILAM.jpg

How much has this cost I wonder?
At what point do they have no option but concede defeat and just say we looked very hard but the planet is just too fucking huge.
I think it took two years to find the Air France plane that crashed into the Atlantic. So a while yet I guess.

Probably (guess) 10-20 million US$ thus far. The US DoD effort was reported as having costed around $2.5 million as of a couple of days ago.

How much has this cost I wonder?
At what point do they have no option but concede defeat and just say we looked very hard but the planet is just too fucking huge.
They can't do that, we've spent years telling ourselves the planet is getting smaller.

I think it took two years to find the Air France plane that crashed into the Atlantic. So a while yet I guess.
The search will obviously go on, the question is when does the media circus stop?

My own theory is the popularity of this story in the press has something to do with expenses paid trips to Malaysia and Australia. A phenomenon which first became very clear to me when Maddie McCann was abducted in sunny Portugal during a very wet May in the UK.

A candidate for a jet contrail, consistent with the (above) final primary radar data, the position and timing of the Inmarsat (final) arc, the projected flight paths the NTSB have reconstructed and the expected fuel budget, is visible in a weather satellite image (left):

io-visir-sum.jpg

Actually what is visible (if it is a contrail) is the shadow of the contrail on a lower cloud deck, standing out in the early morning, low elevation sun. Note that there would be no other possible source of a contrail in this remote location at that time and the IR image (above right) tends to suggest that this is not a fine cirrus band.

The location of the 'contrail' would be as below (red circle) relative to the current search areas.
2014_03_23_cumulative_search_tv.jpg

All these satellite images keep showing up. A piece of something floating in a lot of water. They estimate the size - maybe 70, 80 feet.

But even years ago, they had spy satellites that could read licence plates from space. Why not use those type of satellites here? Zoom right in on the ambiguous floating objects.

GeoEye
GeoEye's GeoEye-1 satellite was launched September 6, 2008.[7] The GeoEye-1 satellite has the highest resolution of any commercial imaging system and is able to collect images with a ground resolution of 0.41 meters (16 inches) in the panchromatic or black and white mode. It collects multispectral or color imagery at 1.65-meter resolution or about 64 inches, a factor of two better than existing commercial satellites with four-band multistage imaging capabilities. While the satellite is able to collect imagery at 0.41 meters, GeoEye's operating license from the U.S. Government requires re-sampling the imagery to 0.5 meters for all customers not explicitly granted a waiver by the U.S. Government[8]

DigitalGlobe
DigitalGlobe's WorldView-2 satellite provides high resolution commercial satellite imagery with 0.46 m spatial resolution(panchromatic only).[9] The 0.46 meters resolution of WorldView-2's panchromatic images allows the satellite to distinguish between objects on the ground that are at least 46 cm apart. Similarly DigitalGlobe's QuickBird satellite provides 0.6 meter resolution (at NADIR) panchromatic images.

Spot Image
The 3 SPOT satellites in orbit (Spot 2, 4 and 5) provide images with a large choice of resolutions – from 2.5 m to 1 km. Spot Image also distributes multiresolution data from other optical satellites, in particular from Formosat-2 (Taiwan) and Kompsat-2 (South Korea) and from radar satellites (TerraSar-X, ERS, Envisat, Radarsat). Spot Image will also be the exclusive distributor of data from the forthcoming very-high resolution Pleiades satellites with a resolution of 0.50 meter or about 20 inches. The first launch is planned for the end of 2011. The company also offers infrastructures for receiving and processing, as well as added value options.

All these satellite images keep showing up. A piece of something floating in a lot of water. They estimate the size - maybe 70, 80 feet.

But even years ago, they had spy satellites that could read licence plates from space. Why not use those type of satellites here? Zoom right in on the ambiguous floating objects.

There are, but they are owned by the military and they cost shit loads and the more you move them about the less time they stay operational.

So a few civilian passengers on a commercial plane? Not a hope in hell.

That's consistent with what Mark Lowenthal, a former intelligence official, thinks, too. According to Lowenthal, president of the Arlington-based Intelligence and Security Academy, commercial satellite imagery can make out objects that are as small as 20 inches across. But Lowenthal notes that according to various press reports military satellites are about twice again as good, capable of resolution down to 10 inches. The Federation of American Scientists has a great side-by-side comparison of the same image sampled at various resolutions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ch-that-led-mh370-investigators-to-australia/

The satellite imagery released so far is essentially earth resources remote sensing data (resolution a few metres, at best) or compromised by slant range.

If there are military grade data then we're not ever going to get to see it (well, maybe in X decades time cf Corona imagery were released some 30 years after the programme ended). Quite probably they would never even release it to elements of the SAR team (as metioned previously, tip offs via back channels could perhaps occur).

I'm wondering if the French imagery referred to today is perhaps from one of the Pleiades satellites. Those are military/civil, have a resolution down to 50-70cm or thereabouts, similar to GeoEye-1 and WorldView-2. Though once again achieving optimum resolution will depend on favourable target geometry (largely pot luck without planning prior to image acquisition, which will be the case here of course).

JC3 10 inch resolution is not going to read a licence plate.
Letters on a UK licence plate are only 3 - 4 inches across max.

Yes but if they train all the high power stuff on looking for bits of plane what's looking out for a sneaky missile attack?

Also I doubt any nation is mad keen on sharing the technology they have.

Back
Top Bottom