Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Major TV & radio transmission mast, covering over 500k homes in North Yorkshire & North East is on fire. (10/8/21)

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
2bbb.png

Looks like that could be out of action for a while, and one assumes whatever relay stations that take their signal from this main mast.

Bilsdale mast near Helmsley which provides TV signal for North Yorkshire and the North East has caught fire.

The transmitter sends a signal to approximately 570,000 houses across the region - only viewers who receive their television via Freeview are affected.

Radio services affected include BBC Radios 1-4, Radio Tees & BBC DAB, SDL, North Yorkshire DAB, BAUER Teeside, Digital 1, TFM, Capital, Heart & Classic FM.

So, basically all Freeview, DAB & FM services for the area.

I wonder if it was caused by a fault or loons. :hmm:

Blimey smoke actually coming from the mast itself. :bigeyes:

_119881615_mastfire.jpg

I'd like to hear the firefighters who get told by their station manger to climb to the top...

I'd bet serious money that it was sabotage.

Someone once did it to a transmitter near Newbury during the World Cup Final in 1994. I was watching it in Reading and it just went black. Loads of people were seriously pissed at that. We could still get the London feed where we were so it was all good.

The guy wires are still in place, but you can see damage to the steel tubular mast, could be cosmetic, although towards the base of the mast, it does look a look a little deformed.

2h.jpg

I guess once they decide it's reasonably safe, they will be able to get inside and see what damage has been done.

Back in the day, a lot of people would been lost by a TV black-out, whereas nowadays most will have cable, satellite and/or broadband, so will cope, like with this family.

Sian Merron explained how her family kept themselves entertained last night stating: "(We) don't watch Freeview at night anyway we watch Disney or prime. It was the kids who missed out on CBeebies but they entertained themselves with trashing the house instead."

:D

The guy wires are still in place, but you can see damage to the steel tubular mast, could be cosmetic, although towards the base of the mast, it does look a look a little deformed.

View attachment 283110

I guess once they decide it's reasonably safe, they will be able to get inside and see what damage has been done.

That looks like an absolute nightmare. Dunno how you’d even approach checking something like that. I suppose gradually work up checking corrosion… maybe drone imaging of the guy connections. It’s a massive nope from me.

That looks like an absolute nightmare. Dunno how you’d even approach checking something like that. I suppose gradually work up checking corrosion… maybe drone imaging of the guy connections. It’s a massive nope from me.

I suspect they will use drones to check the outside, if that is deemed safe, I assume some poor sod is going have to go up on the inside. :bigeyes:

I've never understood how the hell people climb these masts, that fucker is over 1000 foot. :bigeyes:

When the engineers had put up a new mast at one of the radio stations I worked on, everyone had a go climbing it, except me :D I took one look at the 120 foot scaffold pole mast, with guy wires, and thought even with the special climbing kit - fuck that. :D

One of those engineers has even climbed the old 300 foot mast on the Radio Caroline ship, where you had to climb on the outside for the last half, on a bloody ship, over 12 miles out in the North sea, and even if the ship was hardly moving, you would be swinging around up there, fucking crazy bastard. :D

2hh.jpg

That's just half way up. :bigeyes:

I've never understood how the hell people climb these masts, that fucker is over 1000 foot. :bigeyes:

When the engineers had put up a new mast at one of the radio stations I worked on, everyone had a go climbing it, except me :D I took one look at the 120 foot scaffold pole mast, with guy wires, and thought even with the special climbing kit - fuck that. :D

One of those engineers has even climbed the old 300 foot mast on the Radio Caroline ship, where you had to climb on the outside for the last half, on a bloody ship, over 12 miles out in the North sea, and even if the ship was hardly moving, you would be swinging around up there, fucking crazy bastard. :D

View attachment 283116

That's just half way up. :bigeyes:
How long does the mast have to be that when you are on the top and lean it tips the boat

Back
Top Bottom