Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lunch should have its own thread

Maurice Picarda

Actually, might as well flounce.
What's your lunch? A folorn sandwich, or a twelve-course tasting menu with obsequious suppliers?

I found an egg and leftover cabbage and mash in the fridge, so I made hash with a tin of corned beef that had been lurking in the larder for years. Hash is the sole but sufficient vindication for the existence of corned beef.

No it shouldn't

We had a lunch thread. I found it too depressing. Everyone was having lovely interesting lunches. I only ever had one bog standard butty - no biccies, no pudding, no salad - just either cheese and onion or some kind of crap meat.

Down with lunch threads :mad:

sojourner said:
Down with lunch threads :mad:

How did you kill off the last one? Food threads are usually unstoppable. From stormfront to nasa.spaceflight.chat, they're a failsafe for unimaginative self-aggrandising threadstarters.

Lunch threads are most definitely not good. I've just had a stale pitta bread with taramasalata which had a use by date of 11th Jan and a packet of salt and vinegar hula hoops. :(

Hardly a meal fit for a king. :rolleyes:

Maurice Picarda said:
they're a failsafe for unimaginative self-aggrandising threadstarters.
You're only saying that because you know I started the world-dominating 'what's for tea' thread

You caaaaant :mad:

Although to be fair there had been lots of "What's for tea" threads before that one. :p

Anyways, I'm having brown basmati rice with spicy chickpeas for lunch. Leftovers, innit.

i had a homemade cornish pasty from the local corner-shop. it was filling and hot - just what the doctor ordered! :cool:

A bowl of mash so enormous it threatened to destabilise the earth's orbit. Followed by a posh white chocolate truffle and a nice apple.

My lunch usually consists of absolutely nothing - as I can't afford sandwiches of upwards of £3.35, lunch in the works canteen can set you back almost £7.00 for a meal and the fridge in my rented tiny flat isn't big enough to store stuff to take in the next day.

Maurice Picarda said:
Hash is the sole but sufficient vindication for the existence of corned beef.
obviously you've never had a new york style corned beef sandwich made with rye bread and mustard

with about 5 inches of fresh and hot and juicy corned beef in between :)

Detroit City said:
obviously you've never had a new york style corned beef sandwich made with rye bread and mustard

with about 5 inches of fresh and hot and juicy corned beef in between :)

Do we mean the same thing by corned beef? In the shabby and benighted old world, it's pretty much exclusively tinned and never fresh nor juicy.

When rye bread, mustard and pickles are involved then it's usually salt beef, which is a different kettle of fish entirely, and only a loon would hash it.

Last night's beef stew and dumplings, which was better than expected and is even nicer today. And I got to it before my housemate devoured the whole lot :cool:

Maurice Picarda said:
When rye bread, mustard and pickles are involved then it's usually salt beef, which is a different kettle of fish entirely, and only a loon would hash it.
I think its just a terminology issue....over here we call both corned beef whether its fresh or the tinned hash (which is totally gross BTW) :D

I ate bloody leftover meeting food AGAIN despite having a delicious homemade root vegetable soup with me. Now I feel all bloated and dirty :(

There's a leftover sausage and apple pie, and all the ingedients for a BLT. It's never too early to start planning lunch.

Lunch today will be the root veggie soup I shoudl have eaten yesterday with a side order of beetroot and feta yum

today mine was a salad made with tomatoes, courgette, red onion, 1/2 can green lentils (still not convinced by them but they were nicer than expected :D), feta cheese and chives :) with a dressing of olive oil and cider vinegar

fucking lush :cool:

Cheese and cucumber and tomato on white sliced, with a bag of crisps. The most boring lunch since records began.

I can beat that - cheese and tomato sarnie on wholemeal bread. A banana, a clementine, some ready salted crisps for my mid arvo snack and lots of glasses of water. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom