Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Love/Hate - Dublin gangster nonsense

DaveCinzano

WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!
After @Buckaroo mentioned it, I gave the first two seasons of Irish gangster drama Love/Hate a spin.

Frankly, it seemed a bit silly to start with, but after a first series where there's a distinct lack of actual profitable crime, season two seems to pick up a head of steam and offer returns on investment in initially worthless characters.

So whither season three, any good?

Pros:
  • Some great tics develop. Witness the rictus grin of one chap in particular.
  • Aidan Gillen, making post-Wire hay as a gang boss
  • Fran, the ragey fag smuggler, as played by Peter Coonan
Cons:
  • Too many pretty types cluttering up the screen, making it the equivalent to Misfits as Brookie was to Hollyoaks
  • Similarly, a fondness for glossy musical montage sequences
  • Not enough capers being undertaken to pay for all the flash pads
** Please be spoiler-sensitive **

Well, wow, series three was certainly something of a tonal turnaround. And what a finale!

I guess we now have to wait another 46 weeks to see where everything goes :facepalm:

• Too many pretty types cluttering up the screen, making it the equivalent to Misfits as Brookie was to Hollyoaks

Definitely the first thing I noticed when I watched an episode in Ireland last year, which prompted me to buy the series. Far too pretty and not at all scary-looking :D

Definitely the first thing I noticed when I watched an episode in Ireland last year, which prompted me to buy the series. Far too pretty and not at all scary-looking :D
In short:

S1 = A bit too pretty, these gangsters
S2 = Hang on, things are getting interesting
S3 = Holy fuck!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It's all subjective, and I have no idea what tickles your particular pickle, but in general that is fairly accurate.

Maybe not ugly, but more 'ordinary looking lumps' than 'finely chiselled hunks'.

I must have been pissed when I watched that episode in pub in Ireland. There's only one pretty boy. :D

The rest aren't convincing looking criminals though

(Just watched first two episodes)

Smiley_ShakeFist.gif

Agree that it's a slow starter but boy does it come good. Think Fran is the best character funny as fuck. Nidge is an evil cunt. Looking forward to season 4. Fuck knows when it'll be aired out here though!

Makes me extremely homesick watching it. However its easily the best Irish television drama ever made.

Back
Top Bottom