Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

Most lunchtime takeaway places are still closed around Chancery Lane where I work, which is a sign that most people are still working from home.

The ones that are open have a few desultory chairs outside for people to sit on, eat their sandwiches, and shiver.

I've been going up to the Royal London in Whitechapel 1 day a week and it's steadily got a lot busier, last week the entire strip where the stalls are was absolutely heaving.

I've booked an actual pub meet for my work team in a few weeks' time - people are a bit shy of committing, I guess some want to see how they feel about going into town nearer the time. Two aren't very social anyway, so probably won't want to come in. I guess I'll just have to nudge nearer the time, as if there's spaces, I'd like to invite some of the many colleagues we've taken on in the last 15 months and haven't met at all!

I had a bout of using tube during Easter break after not having been on it since the end of last October half term - going to use again on Monday when kids and I take train out to Windsor for a stroll. In the rain by the looks of things.

I'm on my way to meet a friend for brunch. (We were trying for lunch/dinner but booking somewhere central was a nightmare.) Is it too early for booze...? :hmm:

I see young Americans talking about mimosas on “social”. Apparently they are acceptable morning drinks. I don’t really know what they are though.

Reactions: Sue
I see young Americans talking about mimosas on “social”. Apparently they are acceptable morning drinks. I don’t really know what they are though.

Bucks fizz as far as I'm aware. I can't speak for it's acceptability but it goes very well with eggs benedict (or a good ol' bacon sarnie) as part of a morning after routine :)

Surprised to see central London coming back to life. Spitalfields market looked busy and a lot of people having Friday post work drinks nearby. Liverpool Street Station actually had people around it at "rush" hour.

City firms aren't going to rush people back to offices any time soon.

Was chatting to someone who works in finance. They have been quite happy working from home. Said most of work did not need and office. Her boss has been working out of his second home in country.

I do think pandemic is going to change how work is done and where its done.

Person I chatted to had spent some of the time "wfh" on a sunny island.

Global capitalism does not need actual permanent offices in City.

I've got used to City being home for a few security guards, couriers (those few left) and post room staff.

And Traffic Wardens. Somewhat surreal. You can't park here on this empty street.

Bucks fizz as far as I'm aware. I can't speak for it's acceptability but it goes very well with eggs benedict (or a good ol' bacon sarnie) as part of a morning after routine :)

Different proportions of orange juice and champagne apparently.Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 12.31.34.png

I would say noticeably more unmasked folk or nose jobs on the tube today. Overall compliance is still very high though so I doubt there would be any effect even if it wasn't just my own personal experience.

I am in a pub/restaurant with an outdoor area. There are some extremely drunk people here.

Wandered round town a long way today. Did Waterloo - London Bridge - Charing Cross - Kings Cross - Farringdon on foot. It’s mostly quiet with pockets of busyness. Borough Market, Covent Garden and Coal Drop Yard all very busy, but everywhere in between was really quiet and very little traffic. Most people in shops and trains wearing masks.

Was riding around today and we went through Kingston. Town center is "Christmas busy". So many people about. The most I've seen for over a year.

Wandered round town a long way today. Did Waterloo - London Bridge - Charing Cross - Kings Cross - Farringdon on foot. It’s mostly quiet with pockets of busyness. Borough Market, Covent Garden and Coal Drop Yard all very busy, but everywhere in between was really quiet and very little traffic. Most people in shops and trains wearing masks.
Borough is for tourists, just so yesterday. We did Maltby Street a few weeks ago, which was ok and, by chance, we did Lucy Way in Bermondsey today, which was great...fruit n veg, bread, wine, beer, coffee :thumbs:

similar to the kind of walks i have been doing all through lockdown. "exploring the city" but by good by teh winter months it was pretty horrendous, no matter how much gorgeous architecture around. there's something pretty existentially dreadful and a bit haunting about empty cities during a global pandemic.

similar to the kind of walks i have been doing all through lockdown. "exploring the city" but by good by teh winter months it was pretty horrendous, no matter how much gorgeous architecture around. there's something pretty existentially dreadful and a bit haunting about empty cities during a global pandemic.

Same observation at the weekend. A few streets round clerkenwell with cafes etc pretty busy, Exmouth market pretty busy, busy along the canal.

Coal Drops Yard was especially busy... in fact it kind of made me realise I'd almost forgotten what a city is supposed to sound like, with lots of people around.

clever clogs here didn't book a table on friday and wondered around west end for 2 hours on friday trying to find a place. nothing. nada. ended up in five guys. Matron.

Canary Wharf seems fairly busy. I'm staying nearby - hadn't been for decades until now, so I have nothing to compare it with, but there are definitely people around, especially after work.

Same observation at the weekend. A few streets round clerkenwell with cafes etc pretty busy, Exmouth market pretty busy, busy along the canal.

Coal Drops Yard was especially busy... in fact it kind of made me realise I'd almost forgotten what a city is supposed to sound like, with lots of people around.
We were going to stop for a drink there but decided against as it was all a bit much :oops:

Back
Top Bottom