Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

Yeah, I work alongside staff in Springfield Park who have many stories about the behaviour of (mostly entitled middle class) park users around toilet facilities and other things.

I got the impression that most of them were local enough that they could walk home to use their own toilet, but insisted that all the normal facilities should be kept open for their convenience.
what a carry on at your convenience

Yeah, I work alongside staff in Springfield Park who have many stories about the behaviour of (mostly entitled middle class) park users around toilet facilities and other things.

I got the impression that most of them were local enough that they could walk home to use their own toilet, but insisted that all the normal facilities should be kept open for their convenience.

ETA although most shutters were local, I'm not saying most locals were shitters
I'd like to point out here that I haven't had a shit in any of the parks & marshes in our area, I have always gone home to do it .

Being outdoors even in busy parks is very low risk. I'd not worry about a packed park.
People need to de-tune the '<insert outdoor space> IS PACKED!' It's not going to cause much if any covid or any respiratory illness if they got there not using public transport.

Being Indoor with other people for a while is the main driver of infection.

Being outdoors even in busy parks is very low risk. I'd not worry about a packed park.
People need to de-tune the '<insert outdoor space> IS PACKED!' It's not going to cause much if any covid or any respiratory illness if they got there not using public transport.

Being Indoor with other people for a while is the main driver of infection.

I think you're missing the point here.

Of all the measures we can take to stop the virus spreading, giving each other space is the most important. After a year that should be drilled into everyone (I know it isn't but still) and we need to be thinking space all the time not just in or at certain venues. Its a mindset.

When an outdoors place is so busy you are unable to have and give space then we should absolutely see that as a problem. If not why have sports stadiums been empty for 12 months?

Clearly the risk is greatly reduced by being outside but everyone already know that. This is about creating an environment that is safe and people feel safe in and round my way it hasn't been that at all. Not that much can be done about it because people need to get out.

This stuff is difficult isn't it and only going to get worse I think. It seems pretty clear that very soon we're going to have a period where a lot more is permitted and yet the virus will still be in circulation to some degree at least. Hopefully it settles down but in the short term at least it's going to be very hard for people whose idea of 'feeling safe' is the strictest.

This stuff is difficult isn't it and only going to get worse I think. It seems pretty clear that very soon we're going to have a period where a lot more is permitted and yet the virus will still be in circulation to some degree at least. Hopefully it settles down but in the short term at least it's going to be very hard for people whose idea of 'feeling safe' is the strictest.

I guess its not just about feeling safe its about wanting the virus to go away. I'm fortunate enough to not be scared about the virus due to my low risk status but what I am bothered about is the virus being allowed to circulate amongst us freely whilst so many of the population remain unvaccinated. That can only mean more deaths and even longer draconian restrictions on being able to live life.

I think you're missing the point here.

Of all the measures we can take to stop the virus spreading, giving each other space is the most important. After a year that should be drilled into everyone (I know it isn't but still) and we need to be thinking space all the time not just in or at certain venues. Its a mindset.

When an outdoors place is so busy you are unable to have and give space then we should absolutely see that as a problem. If not why have sports stadiums been empty for 12 months?

Clearly the risk is greatly reduced by being outside but everyone already know that. This is about creating an environment that is safe and people feel safe in and round my way it hasn't been that at all. Not that much can be done about it because people need to get out.

Unless it's so packed you're physically on top of each other, most people's personal space is about the 2m mark (unless you live in India where its a more troubling 6 inches). Its something we do without thinking.

I've posted this before but if you've not read it, its an interesting read and why we should really be promoting outdoor spaces. As long as you don't use public transport, if its a nice day go sit outside somewhere, it would lift the mood for everyone.

Unless it's so packed you're physically on top of each other, most people's personal space is about the 2m mark (unless you live in India where its a more troubling 6 inches). Its something we do without thinking.

Its blatantly not. You're welcome to come down to our riverside and try for yourself. How can you do 2m gaps on paths and pavements anyway? How many people walking in groups walk in single file?

I agree with you about outdoors being safer but I don't think you have a handle at all on what is going on out there in the crowded parts of London's green spaces. As I say though I still think you're missing the larger point.

Its blatantly not. You're welcome to come down to our riverside and try for yourself. How can you do 2m gaps on paths and pavements anyway? How many people walking in groups walk in single file?

I agree with you about outdoors being safer but I don't think you have a handle at all on what is going on out there in the crowded parts of London's green spaces. As I say though I still think you're missing the larger point.

I think you've become overly sensitive to people getting close outdoors. I'm not sure what your point is? People shouldn't be getting too close to one another in outdoor spaces?

I don't think it matters very much if they do, so it's ok, there are more pressing things to worry about. All those people on the beaches last summer, I suspect they went and queued for stuff, and walked by each other on the beach. Nothing happened apart from some moral outrage and litter. This will also be true of London's green spaces.

1615469920027.png

What caused the second spike, eat out to help out, indoor drinking in pubs and it getting colder and more people hanging out indoors thinking it's all over.

the bushes around the playground at my local park are like a victorian sewage system since they shut the loos. All well and good to expect the adults to rush home, but for kids it's often more urgent and less predictable.
There are many adults, who for many reasons rushing home is not an option; pregnant women, the disabled, the elderly, people with prostate or other health issues.

Incidentally, I’ve noticed an increase in people hanging out in open spaces in the centre of town at the weekend (e.g around Trafalgar Square and St. James’s Park). Shopping areas still very empty though, unsurprisingly.

I went to the South Bank this morning for the 1st time in maybe 15 months. Walked from Liverpool St ,over London Bridge , then through Borough Market and along the river to the Tate Modern , over the Millennium Bridge ,then back to Liverpool St via Bank/Moorgate.

South Bank had a few people on it , but way down on previous walks there in normal times . The City of London is still very quiet.

Saw that ! The swimming bit was pretty rammed in the summer, wouldn't get in there myself , can't be the cleanest of water with all the stuff up-river :eek:

Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom