Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

:D :D Ive been squeezing in a days driving work on Thursdays and we always finish on Marco Del Hornos show - saying Marco Del Horno in his accent is a running joke in fact :D He says his name about twenty times in his show so it always cracks us up.

Is he from Croydon?! :cool:

I can't listen to music at work :( I'd make a great white van man. I am a most excellent driver.

I can't listen to music at work :( I'd make a great white van man. I am a most excellent driver.

Its a great job really - well, mine was cool, mainly because it was a family business (bakery) - some of the corporate drivers get driven into the ground - Ocado was horrible (my mate did that) - a huge area to cover and finsih late - and the courier multidrops can be back breaking - but on the whole its just you and the radio for most of the day pootling about. Biggest problem is driving too fast if a good tune comes on!

Not sure where marco DH is from - definitely London somewhere - its not so much his London accent, jsut the way he says it that makes me laugh - well, seems funny at the end of the day.

He's good at what he does, thats for sure.

Ska - was listening to that at the weekend again - rinse out!

:) I upped it to youtube too, and played it to see if it was working, and then you know how at the end it suggests a next video, well someone else had uploaded that exact same bit already a couple of weeks ago! Bizarre! (The bit I upped is slightly longer/ comes in earlier)

Thanks Steph - really need to get my hands on that track now...

RIP Kenny Hawkes who died last weekend. Used to listen to him a lot on Girls FM :(

Yeah :(

Someone has posted a Hawkes/Girls FM show from 95 on soundcloud here.

Kenny (aka Darklord) was also a prolific and popular poster on /links on b3ta, and will be missed greatly by everyone there. We decided that yesterday would be Darklord Friday so people could post up their favourite dance/house tracks by way of a tribute to Kenny. I've never seen /links so busy, which is a measure of how well liked he was. The Darklord Friday Youtube Playlist (all 16 hours of it).

One of the best docs of all time that ska, only short but just captures the moment perfectly - funny seeing Hype and a very young Shabba in the Rush studio!

Just watched the you tube clips - thanks very much!
Interesting that some people can't understand how passionate others can be about music that they are willing to go to alot of time and trouble for no financial reward to do something they love.

Some Friday night old skool jungle tape rippage!

adkkg6.jpg

Kool FM 94.5 - Probe, Swift, Mc G, CoGee - May 95 (download here - 85MB).

Weekend Rush 92.3 - Mark One, Bandit - May 95 (download here - 85MB)
* check the 15 mins of ads in the middle - bitd when they were hammered from a tape and they start to sound the worse for wear :D

nice 1 steph - on the dl :)

Tuned in to Kool last night to catch Ron's show, Ron was AWOL, so Footloose was covering, and played a blinding definitive 92-as-heard-on-Kool set - great mixes, a heap of tunes, and no MC. And all credit to Kool, theyve got a well oiled machine there now, and the show is already up for download
LInk fixed>>>K http://www.mediafire.com/?mdh3v87xb2i2npl
...give it a blast - once he's warmed up its really a firing set.

Is it true Footloose is playing House on 1xtra now? Is that the same footloose?

me neither (listen to 1xtra) - going to have to give his show a check though - hes got one of the most grumpy voices for radio - well done him for getting on the state payroll :)

(i posted the wrong link before - shouldve been http://www.mediafire.com/?mdh3v87xb2i2npl )

*tried to listen to his show on replay - i think he might have lost his slot in 2009 possibly

West London seems pretty poorly served by pirate radio. I can usually only get Point Blank FM (which has been off air for a few days) and Passion FM.

They both take themselves very seriously though - you'd be forgiven for mistaking them for legit stations with their good studio production, proper schedules, radio-friendly DJs etc. They even do traffic reports on Passion :D

Not listened to Passion for years (last time I did they were still more on the garage side of things - I think they're mostly tech house now?). Yeah, Point Blank always sound great - good soul/funk show on there too :cool:

I used to listen to Passion but it seemed to go off the air - or I had trouble getting the signal.
Been listening to Shine879 quite a bit recently, they seem to have a fair mix of different sorts of music.
Enjoyed some tech type house on Mondays and breaks on Fridays, both at the 6 - 8pm slot.
There was also some really nice old skool-y stuff on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom