Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

Been listening to Concious Radio loads lately (102), although not been able to get them last few days. Play some serious roots reggae.

i was expecting a bit more of a fanfare after the big dramatic pause - i reckon most of their younger listeners aren't fussed and are listening on their phones, the little tykes! wireless is too good for them - bring back conscription, etc.

rinse website doesnt even mention the frequency

* idid check conscious on your recommendation, but it was daytime - i cant get the signal here so has to be a stream - thanks for the reminder -will try and give them a few more shots

ooh, i see uncle dugs off kool is on rinse - here the playlist from his show last week

1 euphony - bodysnatch - big city
2 noise facotry - set me free remix - 3rd party
3 neuromancer - pennywise - symphony sounds
4 ellis dee & swanne - ruffneck bizznizz - rough tone
5 macka brown pt 2 - go down baby - labello blanco
6 doc scott - nhs disco remix - absolute
7 jay j & devious dee - time of our lives - awesome
8 sacred - do it together - white
9 noise overload - right here right now part 2 - global dance
10 acen - trip to the moon pt1 - production house
11 the moog - jungle muffin - delirious
12 dance conspiracy - dub war - metamorphosis
13 ragga twins feat junior read - shine eye - shut up and dance
14 code 071 - a london sumtin' - reinforced
15 rebel mc - rich ah getting richer - big life
16 demon boyz - dett - tribal bass
17 d'livin - why - d'livin
18 acen - trip to the moon pt2 - production house
19 clarkee - have a good time - paradox
20 the good 2 bad and hugly - you know how to love me - ruff kutt!
21 3 thieves and a liar - forseeing the future - alien and monster
22 mad ragga jon - original bad boy - mad house
23 macka brown - dub plate style - labello blanco
24 order 2 move - rizla bass - boogie beat
25 soundcorp - dream finder - tone def
26 connection - a different story - spare beat
27 a guy called gerald - 28 gun badboy - juice box
28 foulplay vol 2 - dubbing you - obsession
29 origination - breakdown - rude boy

Slipmatt interview and mix

it'd be nice to see rinse cut back on the house and add just a bit more variety (without diluting their identity)

interesting enough theoretical article about pirate radio here
http://datacide.c8.com/tortugan-tower-blocks-pirate-signals-from-the-margins/
...all about "Viewing the history of radio in the UK as part of a history of enclosure of the commons"

...on a practical note it mentions that in germany where DAB is in full effect some german pirates are managing to broadcast on the digital airwaves - a promising sign - DAB was looking like the end of pirates...

interesting enough theoretical article about pirate radio here
http://datacide.c8.com/tortugan-tower-blocks-pirate-signals-from-the-margins/
...all about "Viewing the history of radio in the UK as part of a history of enclosure of the commons"

...on a practical note it mentions that in germany where DAB is in full effect some german pirates are managing to broadcast on the digital airwaves - a promising sign - DAB was looking like the end of pirates...

Thanks for that, I'll try and have a read when I get home tonight.

As for the DAB pirates I was under the impression that its a lot of fucking around but do-able. As far as I'm aware no one in the UK has had the time/money/knowledge to set up a pirate DAB station. This is more or less because DAB signals are multiplexed, which means that pirate (or a number of pirates) would have to create and transmit their own pirate multiplex (not easy).

Thanks for that, I'll try and have a read when I get home tonight.

As for the DAB pirates I was under the impression that its a lot of fucking around but do-able. As far as I'm aware no one in the UK has had the time/money/knowledge to set up a pirate DAB station. This is more or less because DAB signals are multiplexed, which means that pirate (or a number of pirates) would have to create and transmit their own pirate multiplex (not easy).

sounds complicated, but i can only guess that once the switch-over happens it will force pirates hand. The forced switchover looks like being set back though - I think there may be a post about the time frame on this thread even. Then in the longer future there is also the possibility for wifi radio I guess... Im sure itll be alright in the end!

:D :D :D :D :D
nice clip steph! it is a big old tune. I love it when people hype a tune.

maybe. i think PJ was on 92fm and metrolove is 92.2 - too close a frequency to have run simaltaneoulsy. I dont know for sure though. did Pj ever run alongside metrolove?

Updated list from the last month or so...

87.9 Shine FM (house)
88.2 Rude FM (d'n'b)
88.6 Back 2 Back (soul/jazz/funk)
89.4 Unknown FM (house/techno/soul)
89.8 Station FM (talk/reggae/ragga)
90.0 Hot 90 (talk/african/ragga)
90.2 Point Blank FM (house/garage/d'n'b/techno/soul)
90.4 Woah (r'n'b/ragga/hip-hop/soul)
90.8 Lightning (reggae/ragga/r'n'b/hip-hop)
91.6 Genesis Radio (talk/reggae/ragga/r'n'b)
92.2 Metrolove Radio (r'n'b/soul/ragga/reggae/hip-hop)
92.3 Deja Vu (grime/garage/funky/dubstep/r'n'b)
92.7 Energy (r'n'b/reggae/soca)
93.8 Vibes FM (talk/reggae/ragga)
94.2 Touch FM (house/garage/dn'b)
94.6 Kool FM (d'n'b/jungle/hardcore)
95.1 Origin FM (d'n'b/jungle/hardcore)
95.5 On Top (grime/hip-hop/r'n'b)
96.1 Supreme Dance (house/techno)
96.3 Hot 96 (r'n'b/hip-hop/reggae/jazz)
97.9 Passion FM (house)
98.1 Mystic (r'n'b/reggae/soca)
99.1 Hav It (reggae/ragga/r'n'b)
99.3 Select UK (house/techno)
99.5 Galaxy Radio (talk/reggae/ragga/soul/hip-hop/r'n'b)
99.7 Flex FM (garage/house/d'n'b/funky/jungle)
99.8 Supreme FM (reggae/ragga/hip-hop/r'n'b)
100.3 House FM (house)
101.5 Live FM (garage/house/funky)
101.2 Unique (reggae/r'n'b)
101.3 Eruption (hardcore/jungle/d'n'b)
101.8 Bizim (turkish/talk)
102.0 Concious (reggae/dub/talk)
102.5 Inna City Radio (r'n'b/reggae/hip-hop/garage)
102.8 Urban Love Radio (reggae/r'n'b/hip-hop)
103.0 Image (garage/house/d'n'b/funky/dubstep)
103.8 Blues (r'n'b/reggae)
104.7 Hightz Live (garage/funky/house)
106.8 Rinse FM (funky/grime/dubstep) *now legal*
107.3 Laylow FM (garage/d'n'b/grime/funky/dubstep)

Great work Steph. Woah < greatest radio name of all time :D
One missing that I know is still up is SUPREME DANCE 96.1fm (house and techno)

LOL Flex FM... I built lots of their shit back in the day.. Sutton way.. microwaves and missing 1210s... Morden memories.. I think I still have H frame uplink poles from before Flex, trannies long gone now. glad it's still on... shout to Chrome and Jester circa 1992 and Zinc pre-Japan... Flex was one of many but you can't dismiss a 24 hour live operation. Hold tight the Flex!

I still think "Jock's Cafe" was the best of them at the time. Utter madness. And Centreforce.

DJ Batman on Centreforce was the best radio show I ever heard. That guy was fuckin crazy, I just hope he's still alive.

Thanks for the updated list of stations.
I find it goes through phases of which ones I can pick up, I have no problems with Rude and Origin but I can no longer receive Unknown, which I used to enjoy.
I see you have Subjam at 1047, I get Hightz on that wave length.

Looks like they do a bit of moving around as well, I see you've got House at 1003 - it used to be 886 where Back to Back is.
Thanks - I wondered where it had gone!

One missing that I know is still up is SUPREME DANCE 96.1fm (house and techno)

Ah, ta ska - have added :)

I find it goes through phases of which ones I can pick up, I have no problems with Rude and Origin but I can no longer receive Unknown, which I used to enjoy.

I hear that Unknown FM got studio raided about a month ago :(

I see you have Subjam at 1047, I get Hightz on that wave length.

Ah, it was playing garage so presumed it would be Subjam - have updated :)

This looks good >>>

The Wire's Adventures In Modern Music show presents the following special show on 2 June:

A special and extended edition of Adventures In Modern Music as the duo behind the film Tape Crackers rush the studio to bring us A Brief History Of Grime Tapes. Pirate radio tape collector Michael Finch and filmmaker Rollo Jackson will be taking us through a treasure trove of cassettes and MiniDiscs of London pirate stations from 1998–2004.

We'll be featuring some of the key moments of Garage and Grime with tapes from the glory days of Deja Vu, Rinse FM and other stations, with many of the biggest crews and mic clashes from radio sets and raves of the era. We'll be telling the story of MCs such as Wiley, Dizzee Rascal and Riko Dan through the radio sets that made them top names in London, analysing the dog eat dog logic of 'clashing' which Grime brought to the London scene, and uncovering the hidden wiring of underground music of the late 1990s and beyond.

The show runs 2 June from 8pm–10:30pm (note earlier start time), 104.4 FM for Londoners, streamed live at resonancefm.com; check rollojackson.com for info on Tape Crackers.
More info here:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/6664/

Top thread this BTW

adam_west.gif

any oldskool pirate heads with a love for mix master max will love this: M3 is back! On the ragga attack!

WHAT A LEGEND

Flex was one of many but you can't dismiss a 24 hour live operation. Hold tight the Flex!

Not 24 hours live now, not sure that many are but it must be pretty difficult to sustain.

Loving Rinse FM at the moment - listened to Marco del Horno's thurday drivetime (ish) show last week and have on the strenght of that hunted down some downloads of his show.

Most of my car radio presets are pirates :D have to rescan if I am in another part of London though or at the weekend :D

I love Saturday afternoons on Flex atm.

Also been listening to Live FM quite a bit. I've not really listened to Rinse much since they went legal - I shall have to check them more.

Ahh did not know they were legal? havent actually read this entire thread - keep dipping in and out.

Have liked DJ Raggs on Flex when I have caught her show.

Loving Rinse FM at the moment - listened to Marco del Horno's thurday drivetime (ish) show last week and have on the strenght of that hunted down some downloads of his show.

:D :D Ive been squeezing in a days driving work on Thursdays and we always finish on Marco Del Hornos show - saying Marco Del Horno in his accent is a running joke in fact :D He says his name about twenty times in his show so it always cracks us up.

Thursdays usually goes Kool FM for breakfast: Madness (DnB plus guests) followed by Staf (oldskool jungle and breakbeat-dubstep), plus for a bit of variety the Lone Ranger on Point Blank whose good value, then a bit of Robin Elms and Danny Baker for lunch before finishing of on Marco Del Horno! Oh, and Fatboy on Thursday evenings on Kool is pretty good too.

I used to be a white van man for a few years and it was the radio that kept me there for much longer than I planned!

By the way, following a tip-off from Steph I uploaded this little 3 golden minutes of 1994 radio - give it a blast

I can't even remember the DJ's back in 93.. Chrome and Jester had some slots, but the nastier element running things back then nicked Chrome's brand new 1210s when they relocated the studio at 3am without warning, and he didn't work there again.

I always said it would be easier to prerecord shows and play them off a decent VHS, 4 hours of PCM stereo on one tape, far less risk, have the live shouts over the top if you must, but ten lads smoking skunk in a studio isn't an easy thing to maintain quietly...

Back
Top Bottom